PDA

View Full Version : Old Mold

brad925
07-17-2010, 01:42 PM
I need some help and hope i am at the right place if not sorry. I was at a gun show this morning and i think i may have passed up something. I found a one peice mold and handles in the cal. i needed. On the handles was stamped 45 GOVT. One one side of the mold block it aid WINCHESTER MANUFACTURING NEW HAVEN CONNETICUT. Thet wanted $30 Canadian for them but after closer inspection with a light i could see light coming through the bullet nose of the mold so i left them. On the way home i started to think that maybe they were worth something as a collectors item but not sure how old they are. Or maybe they can be repaired by someone. Any help would be much appreciated. I am sure they will still be there in the morning when i go back.

excess650
07-18-2010, 06:10 AM
The Winchester molds are definitely collectible. The earlier variety have plain, tapered steel handles, and the later have wooden handles with brass ferrules on both ends. I've seen condition ranging from "dug out of the ground" to pristine, so price varies considerably. I've cast with a few, and they threw good bullets. It seems to me that all of the Winchester cavities have a slight bevel base to them.

Age? I dunno for sure, but I doubt that they were made after the 1920s, if that late.

If the mold was in useable condition, I think $30 Canadian was cheap. If its all beat up like someone used it for a hammer, its just a paperweight.

JMtoolman
07-18-2010, 10:34 AM
I picked up one of these for my 32-20 a couple weeks ago. Paid $50.00 for it. It took a couple hours of work to clean up and remove the bevel base area, but the mold is now ready to cast again. I cast a few bullets in it and used them to lap the cavity and clean up some of the light pitting and am good to go. I want to find one of the Winchester hand reloading tools to go with it for my 92 Winchester rifle. The one you saw was a give away bargin! Best regards, the toolman.

brad925
07-18-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the info. I went there this morning and was 10 min too late. Oh well thats the way it goes.