PDA

View Full Version : Question for Maine shooters and residents

Recluse
07-17-2010, 01:07 PM
I need to know what the laws are about Texans coming to Maine with a handgun.

We're flying up there in a few weeks, but flying commercially--which is good and bad. My wife got tickets at such an unbelievable deal that there was no way we could fly our plane for even a fourth of the cost. Plus, I won't have to drive and can actually take a nap on the flight up to Portland.

Bad news is dealing with the TSA goons.

I'm seriously considering checking one of my handguns. I have a Texas CHL, and we honor Maine's CHL but apparently Maine doesn't honor anyone else's. No surprise there, but nonetheless, it is what it is.

Any of you Mainers know what the law is about foreigners coming up there with a handgun in their possession--or where I can look to find out what the law is?

Gracias.

:coffee:

gray wolf
07-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Here is the number for the Maine state police --let them sort it out for you.
>>>>>>>1-800-452-4664<<<<<<<

Sam

Firebricker
07-20-2010, 07:54 PM
There's a site called "Going Packed.com" they should have what your looking for. FB

Firebricker
07-20-2010, 07:58 PM
I got that wrong its CCW reciprocity Guide. FB

TCLouis
07-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Contrary to what others have said, NEVER ask a police department questions about the law, their accuracy is not something you want to depend on.

Do a web search and go to some of the web sites and there are several that explain the law and reciprocity for all of the states.

i will try to find a hyperlink to the one I use and post it later.

uncle joe
07-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Contrary to what others have said, NEVER ask a police department questions about the law, their accuracy is not something you want to depend on.

Do a web search and go to some of the web sites and there are several that explain the law and reciprocity for all of the states.

i will try to find a hyperlink to the one I use and post it later.

+1 on what TC said
I had a cousin that worked in texas but his residence was in ms, he was stopped in tx on the way home and they saw he had a pistol. They nearly hauled him in, and he was telling them the whole time that he was a dispatcher at the pd back home and gave thekm the number but they still raked him over. They let him go but told him to leave the gun at home next time he came to TX\

azcruiser
07-25-2010, 06:18 AM
call a gun shop in Maine and ask them they should know

TCLouis
07-26-2010, 09:59 AM
This is not the one I was looking for, but it may help a lot of different people with reciprocity questions.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Just my personal opinion, but gun stores make police departments look accurate when dispensing legal opinions. Some have enough problems just discussing firearms related information with any degree of accuracy.

Geraldo
07-26-2010, 02:26 PM
call a gun shop in Maine and ask them they should know

That's a worse idea than calling the police.

http://www.usacarry.com/maine_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/25/title25sec2003.html

These links should get you started and you can usually search a state's statutes online. From my brief search, I would be wary of local ordnances as well.

Duckiller
07-27-2010, 02:59 PM
I am traveling from Calif to Mich this summer and fall. East bound I will be going through more northerly states and west bound will be avoiding white ground and may go see some BP oil. will be pulling a travel trailer with a pick-up. There will be shotguns, rifle, and fishing rods in either the trailer or back of pick-up. Pick-up will also contain a Labrador Retriever. I do not intend to hunt or fish in most of the states I visit, but will stop to look at wildlife and/or fish. Hopefully most states are not as enlightened as Maine. If any one knows of similar state laws/attitudes please let me and other travelers on this board know so we can avoid such progressive places.