PDA

View Full Version : Enfield question

wallenba
07-17-2010, 12:48 PM
I was buying powder this morning, and my local dealer showed me an Enfield he took in. I looked but did not ask too many questions. On the ride home I wondered if the $145 price tag was worth it. It looked like it had been through a cement mixer, not really, but showing it's age. It had I think two maybe three wraps of wire soldered around it. He told me that was for use launching grenades. If I go back for a second look what should I be looking for, and asking about this rifle.

ilcop22
07-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Which model was it?

wallenba
07-17-2010, 06:50 PM
Which model was it?

It looked like the SMLE MK III, or some variant, but I don't know them all.

akajun
07-17-2010, 07:08 PM
mk111 wire wrapped grenade launcher. Century was selling these not that long ago for $150 or so. Be carefull cause some were deactivated for training use.

ilcop22
07-17-2010, 08:55 PM
If it comes with the grenade launcher, it's worth it if it still functions. If it's non-functioning or unsafe, then I would pass.

If it does not come with the grenade launcher, it's overpriced.

If it has been modified to a drill rifle, it's most definitely a waste of money. Those are worth more as parts than complete rifles.

I hope this helps.

leadman
07-19-2010, 01:51 AM
The Enfield I have seen that were wire wrapped seemed to be pretty worn. For $100 more you should be able to get a really nice #4 MK2. This is definitey a better rifle.

Multigunner
07-23-2010, 07:44 AM
The WW1 era wire wrapped SMLE rifles were chosen for conversion from rifles still safe to fire but known to have issues affecting accuracy that could not be repaiered economically. These would be stamped EY, the marking denoting safe to fire with Ball ammunition in an emergency.
Before the decision to convert these for grenade launching use the EY rifles would have languished in reserve stocks till overhauled or broken up for parts.
They were too good to be deactivated as DP rifles, but not accurate enough for general issue.

The Rod Grenades used were very hard on a rifle barrel, and could damage rifling or bulge the barrels, so they prefered not to risk damaging rifles in better condition.

India converted many otherwise very good condition SMLE rifles to Grenade Launchers. The NATO rifle grenades were mostly shoot through types that didn't require a blank, and 7.62 NATO blanks weren't suited to the older cup discharger. India also had huge stocks of the .303 blanks on hand. So rather than develop a new 7.62 blank for launching grenades from the 2A rifles they instead converted .303 rifles for this purpose and most placed in stores.
It was not uncommon a few years back to find excellent condition Indian SMLE rifles with new condition stocks wire wrapped and showing no sign of having been used.

Nose Dive
07-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Well .. I'd pass... Too many En'nies available that are in bette condition... Gimme a day to get down stairs and back up and have a good Enfield site that offers India En'nies at about $200.. better..cleaner ...newer...

I aint dishin the wire wraps...but..well,,,better stuff out there at a better price..

Now..if U want one...Look around....sounds like the one u looking at..might be a bit bit up...

Aint no more fun gun to shoot than a good ole 303...

Nose Dive