PDA

View Full Version : 357 Mag Squirrel shot

Blammer
07-16-2010, 09:06 PM
My neighbor has pesky squirrels getting into his chicken feed.

He was wanting some 'snake' shot to shoot and kill them with.

Not being able to find any, I offered to load him up some to do the work with.

Took a 357mag case flaired it, shoved a 35 cal GC down on top of 4.5gr of unique, poured in about 100gr of #8 shot, took a wad of speed green and mushed it on the top to hold all the bb's in and then crimped it a bit.

I plan on patterning and distance shooting them tomorrow on paper.

Anyone have a good load they recommend?

jmsj
07-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Blammer,
How far is the distance he is going to try and hit the squirrels?
I used to have good luck using Speer plastic shot capsules at the Speer manual max. load and #6 shot out to 10 or 15 feet, jmsj

Blammer
07-16-2010, 09:44 PM
less than 20 feet

Gee_Wizz01
07-16-2010, 10:04 PM
+1 on the Speer shot capsules. I loaded some up for my Dad to use on marauding squirrels. He killed at least 12 squirrels and a couple of rattlesnakes. I used the load data on the box with Unique and #8 shot. They were fired from a Blackhawk. He killed squirrels out to 12 yds without a problem. He also said it did less damage to his pear trees than a .410. I tried the gas checks, and they worked, but did not pattern near as well as the shot capsules. I have just ordered another box of .357 capsules for Dad and a couple of boxes of .45 capsules for myself.

G

jmsj
07-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Blammer.
I think at that distance it might work. I would use something heavier than what comes in the factory loads.

jmsj
07-16-2010, 10:26 PM
By heavier I mean a larger shot size .

shooting on a shoestring
07-16-2010, 10:26 PM
4.5 grains of Unique is not the best in my opinion. I've always used Bullseye, about 2.7 to 3.0 max. You don't need velocity, in fact it will hurt your effort. And you do need maximum space for the shot. I've also had great luck with using a spent case as a card wad punch and punching wads from note pad backer board. Cheaper than gas checks, use one over powder and one over the shot, no lube.

I've loaded # 8 in .38 cases and killed a rattler once, about 10 feet or so with an SP101. The pattern opens up real quick. I'm doubtful that it would be effective on squirrels at 10 yards, but let us know how it turns out.

GP100man
07-16-2010, 11:03 PM
The shorter the barrel the better the pattern will be , less time for da riflin to get a hold !

10 -15 feet `bout max accordin to shot size & speed.

freedom475
07-16-2010, 11:27 PM
I just tested this between a factory 45colt shotshell and a 475Linbaugh loaded about as you wanted to load yours...

The factorys come with No9 shot and mine were loaded with No.6

The factory and the the homeload had almost the identical pattern size at 20ft (squirrel would have no chance!:mrgreen:) but the factory loaded with the smaller shot was a much denser pattern...(more holes per inch)...so smaller shot is the way to go if you have it, especially for the small 357 case.

My 475L load was with a full load of "Enforcer" 20gr. (cause that is what was in the measure) and a leather wad down on the powder and then the case filled with No.6, topped with beeswax. What I found was that the wax will melt/blowout if the cylinder was loaded fully, so you may need to cap your shell with a small milk jugwad etc. before adding your lube to hold in the overshot wad. or just crimp it real good over the wad.

The other thing you may want to try is those "glooblets" They are Plenty deadly for a squirel at that range and very quiet.. if you add a little powder to these you get a lot more effect:Fire:

Blammer
07-17-2010, 11:44 AM
yea, may try some heavier shot, we'll give the #8 a go first, then maybe bump to #4

GC's for me are cheap. :)

Changeling
07-17-2010, 01:51 PM
After the first shot or 2, I think you are going to have a heck of a bad time getting within 20 ft of those squirrels again. Don't mean to through a damper on things, but I've been there seen it and done it.

Target .22 ammo under 1050 fps (or lower) would be the ticket. Very accurate, not a lot of noise (doesn't break sound barrier). Hope this helps.

Oh, I forgot, cast iron pan, flour/salt/pepper. Brown, cut down heat and fry slow till done. Heck,he might start leaving chicken feed out, LOL.

home in oz
07-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Pellet rifle?

Papa smurf
07-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Finnaly someone got it right-----pellet gun . Been gitting rid of all kinds of critters ,chimmunks , rats , and squirrels for years with one.----------------
Good Shooting --------------------------Papa Smurf

Blammer
07-17-2010, 05:36 PM
no pellet gun.

tried with 4.5gr of unique GC and 100gr of #8shot held in place by a spot of speed greed lube.

too much bang, poor pattern

3gr of unique and bingo!

also tried #4 shot, works well too, will go with #8 as I can get a whole bunch in it.

It's no louder than a 22.

If after a few are dead they stay away, then problem solved. No more feed robbing squirrels.

Blammer
07-17-2010, 05:40 PM
We're not in the city so no worries.

Changeling
07-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Blammer it's not that they will stay away, they will actually change there routine and look for you, no kidding! I can go to my kitchen sink and they will see me through the window and haul butt, it's actually funny in a way.

However good luck to you.

Blammer
07-17-2010, 07:36 PM
:)

ought to be good for a laugh.

If they get to skiddish, the 12ga comes out. :)

Right now the squirrels are getting ambushed inside a shed, they can be easily busted heading to the only exit. :)

flounderman
07-17-2010, 07:59 PM
you can use a gas check upside down over the powder and another one, upside down over the shot and if you get the right amount of shot the crimp will hold the gas check. I loaded a hot load, with 8s and they shot thru both sides of a galvanized wash tub. first rattler, I shot a second time because he didn't move the first time. you probably will get a better pattern with a hotter load. less time in the barrel to start rotating. I would like to try the 357 maximum case for a 357 shot load.

Snapping Twig
07-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Been making those for .357, .44mag and .45 colt for over 20 years.

I use 231 and 7.5 or 8 shot, I place the checks cup UP - both of them, bottom and top.

I get a better crimp with the last check facing cup up - looks professional.

Tried it both ways - up is better IMO.

BCB
07-19-2010, 07:24 PM
I have messed with the shot capsules and Styrofoam wads, and gaschecks and whatever to try to develop a shot shell for handguns in 38, 357, 44, and 45 with very little success. Sure, you can croak a chipmunk or snake or bird or whatever that is no larger than a red squirrel at a distance of less than 12’ . Basically no farther with any success—period…

I have found you get about 1” of spread per foot of distance. So at 12' you might have a 12" circle at best and you have 113 square inches of target. How many pallets are in the charge you are shooting? Figure it out. There can be plenty of open space in that 12” circle and that is if ALL of the pallets stay in that circle—not likely it will happen…

If you are using #8’s you have many pallets, but the energy per pallet is almost nonexistent. If you go to #6’s, you have some energy, but not very many pallets…

I have tried them on small critters as previously mentioned and the results are most unpretty (!) at times. Generally to finish off the unfortunate target is done by stepping on it. You ain’t killing anything humanely past 5 yards and that is stretching it. Heck, you have people who can throw a baseball with better efficiency and probably hit small targets at or near 8 yards!!!...

Pellets guns or shorts in a 22 are the best choice in my opinion…

Good-luck…BCB

Three-Fifty-Seven
07-19-2010, 08:27 PM
I would like to try the 357 maximum case for a 357 shot load.

I tried that . . . case is too long, won't chamber . . . in my Rugers.

GP100man
07-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Flounderman

Get yaself some 222 rem dies , then anneal the 357max brass .

Size to the shoulder , it still tite in the chamber but be patient.

Load ya powder 3-3.5 grs. of fast powder , a card then the shot , another card.

Lower the die until ya get a good crimp from the shoulder in the die , now it`ll chamber , seal with water proof carpenters glue .

& enjoy !!!!

WARD O
07-20-2010, 01:11 PM
From experience, as range increases, the pattern would become doughnut in shape due to the effect of the rifling - meaning it opens up to have a hole in the center. It works better to hold off to the side of the target a little - how much depends on range.

A 22 bolt action with CB's is the best if possible.

Ward

curioushooter
11-26-2019, 01:20 PM
You may file this under bizzare, but it was a potentially effective squirrel load.

I had Nagant revolvers once and I made 7.62x38R cases from spent 223 cases. They worked well and actually gas sealed.

The best load I found was to take three 32 caliber buckshot balls, wrap them up like a tootsie roll with drafting vellum (cotton rag paper, similar to the stuff dollar bills are made of), and put a very small charge (2-3 grains I forget exactly) of tightgroup behind it. They would roll along at 800 FPS or so I think, however it was hard to tell because the crony I borrowed would give goofy readings of the three projectiles and the paper wad. The buckshot was cast out of a lee mold and the bullets measured pretty consistent. At 25 yards they would impact within a few inches of each other. Any one of them would bring down a squirrel no matter where it hit. The problem was those Nagants were a bear to shoot and the sights weren't adjustable except by file, and I was loath to start that. Back then Nagants were cheap but were starting to pick up value and I didn't want to mess with them. I ended up selling them later for more than I bought them for.

I do imagine that 327 Mag revolver could do the same thing, though. Though I'm sure the gas sealing effect helped keep the tootsie roll intact, I'm not sure it was needed.

Personally if you want the ultimate squirrel handgun there is no question: get one of those 410 shotgun revolvers. 410 is an amazing squirrel and rabbit load out of a rifle and it couldn't be much worse in those revolvers.

35remington
11-26-2019, 01:29 PM
If you live in the country a revolver loaded with birdshot is an absolutely miserable problem solver for an excessive or annoying squirrel problem.

Effective range is way too short. Squirrels don’t let you get within 15 feet. Revolver shot loads are fine for snakes at near your feet....like 3-5 foot distance. They are simply a noisemaker rather than an effective way to take squirrels out.

If you need quiet try 40 grain CCI Quiet segmented hollowpoint. If some noise is tolerable try 1050 fps CCI subsonic hollowpoints.

Revolver shot loads and “fail” are synonymous for what your neighbor or you plan for squirrel control. 410 “shotgun” revolvers also pattern poorly due to rifling being present and are not worth spending lots of money on to get ineffective performance.

I’ve shot them. Squirrel control they are not. I would agree a .410 is decent short range squirrel control out of a shotgun...don’t know where the .410 “rifle” suggestion came from. From any rifled barrel including revolvers shot loads are worthless for squirrels.

Texas by God
11-26-2019, 02:26 PM
^^^what .35 Remington said^^^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

charlie b
11-26-2019, 07:29 PM
Seems the OP has a special case where he can be closer to them. I did not have that situation where I lived and the little critters did learn to stay out of range. I ended up with a pellet rifle and scope. Worked but I could never get all of them. We finally ended up with a solution, ferrets. A family of them moved in and within a couple of weeks they decimated the squirrel, chipmunk and packrat population. Then they moved on. After that we only had packrats to deal with.

PS father-in-law lived where they sometimes had snake problems. He carried the speer shotshells in his .357 and they worked well at rattlesnake range.

BCB
11-26-2019, 07:57 PM
I made a comment #20 nine years ago, and I stand by that post today!!!

I have since tried (2 different times, hoping) T/C 14" Contenders chamber in 45 Colt and capable of shooting 410 shot shells also. The screw-in choke is to stop the rotation of the wad/shot to help with patterns...

Well, I have wounded rabbits at 10 yards, that's 30 feet! And I had to run them down as they were crippled trying to get away. I think those barrels are worthless also--but that's just me...

Pellet guns or 22 shorts likely are the best...
(Or maybe ferrets--I've absolutely never heard of that method of pest control !!!)

Good-luck...BCB

WRideout
11-27-2019, 10:02 AM
I acquired nearly forty pounds of irregular shot that is around #10-12. Being a certified cheapskate, I used an empty 357 case to punch wads out of a clean styrofoam meat tray. I used a standard SP primer, 3.0 gr Red Dot, with one of the wads on top, pressed down with a dowel. Then 75 gr of the shot, and another wad on top. Seal the top with Elmer's Glue or equivalent. When I have shot at a paper plate at 7 yards, I get very even patterns, albeit the pellets are rather small.

Wayne

35remington
11-27-2019, 11:28 AM
Add slow on top of small. 3 grains Red Dot in a 357 or 38 case generates low velocity.

beechbum444
11-27-2019, 03:14 PM
A little off topic...but a rat trap baited with crunchy peanut butter will also work....

murf205
11-28-2019, 01:21 PM
I have had excellent luck with CCI Quiet ammo. In fact it will cycle through both of my 552 Speedmasters and they are pretty accurate as well. I believe it is a 40 gr boolit so it hits with some authority. Squirrels and chipmunks are DRT.

beagle
11-30-2019, 10:37 PM
Not shot loads but a solution maybe. Back in the 60s the Air Force bought a bunch of the plastic bullets with cases that used a Large Pistol primer as propellent. Pretty decent accuracy up to about 15 yards on paper out of their .38 Specials. I've seen them at gun shows since. A friend worked there and brought a handful home to use in his Colt Trooper. Ran out of Large Pistol primers so he substituted Large Rifle primers and carried on. Forgot he'd done that. Here come's the neighbor's rooster through the tomato patch pecking. Grabbed the Trooper and gave him one to run him out of the garden. Ever had to tell your neighbor you killed his rooster. Might be a solution if you're hunting a short range fairly quiet load for yard pests. Probably some still around. Easily loaded with a nail to remove the fired primer. Speer made them as I recall. I live in the country and my Ruger Blackhawk with a Keith gets the nod for such chores./beagle

wildcatter
12-05-2019, 09:55 PM
The 357 max case is what you need if you want a usable shot shell. You have to neck the end of the case down to fit the cylinder throats. this will give much more capacity than the capsules can contain, and will clear the end of the cylinder.

personally I think it would still be lacking! That is why I skipped the 357, and went with the 45 colt, using 460 S&W brass. necked to 41 cal in a 41 mag resizing die.

as you see I do as was said charge it with the proper powder to get your prefered performance, I use ww231, I place a pasteboard wad I punch out of a cereal box using a 45 acp case to fit tight down on the powder, using a pencil to puush it down on the charge. Then fill the entire case with shot, then another pasteboard disc on top. I then very lightly touch the mouth with my roll crimp die, and lastly drip a couple drops of bees wax on the top to seal it, paraffin would work as well.

I have an extremely strong revolver the Blackhawk, so I use what I consider a Ruger only load after working up to it. I have killed small game out to 30 yards with these #7 1/2 loads. This is a full water bottle that was shot at 25 yards, as well as a Turkey target at the same range. notice the water bottle was not only penetrated on the front side, but many pellets exited the bottle full of water and tightly capped on the back side! These are well over 1/2 oz shotshells rivalling 410 shells, probably a tad faster? But the best shotshell ammo I have ever witnessed in a revolver, including a Judge!

poppy42
12-06-2019, 12:47 AM
Seems the OP has a special case where he can be closer to them. I did not have that situation where I lived and the little critters did learn to stay out of range. I ended up with a pellet rifle and scope. Worked but I could never get all of them. We finally ended up with a solution, ferrets. A family of them moved in and within a couple of weeks they decimated the squirrel, chipmunk and packrat population. Then they moved on. After that we only had packrats to deal with.

PS father-in-law lived where they sometimes had snake problems. He carried the speer shotshells in his .357 and they worked well at rattlesnake range.

I can tell ya they weren’t ferrets probably mink or weasels. True ferrets have been domesticated so long they are in capable of living in the wild .

nhithaca
12-06-2019, 02:04 PM
wildcatter; excellent idea. May try the 357Max using a 32 H&R to neck it down.

Drm50
12-06-2019, 03:53 PM
I don't know how many snakes a member has shot but I have shot a lot of them. Most non poisonous water snakes. Most shot with 22LRs. at fairly close range with time to aim. Snakes are tough critters and if you don't hit them in the head or blow it in half they have a lot of life left in them. Our poison snakes have more mass than other varieties and can soak up a lot of shot. Patterns shot on targets doesn't translate into killing power especially on snakes. I have never shot a snake that was attacking. I avoided shooting snakes that I was hunting because it docked the hide price. I did shoot a few where I got in situation of multiple snakes that I couldn't handle safely. The only thing I can say about shot on snakes is that it will cause them to quit what they are doing and coil. Giving you time to plant a bullet in them.

wildcatter
12-11-2019, 09:21 PM
Never had a problem back tith the Contender 45/410 10" and this is stoked with 5/8 oz and hitting just as hard, if you can't stop em with 1 shot of these you got some awful tough snakes! but even an Anaconda ain't taken all six if I'm shoot'n it!

Even if I shoot em at 25 yards if them pellets can penetrate 3 1/2" of water, and still penetrate the plastic bottles back side, it will penetrate any snake at 15 yards.

wildcatter
12-11-2019, 09:45 PM
I tried that . . . case is too long, won't chamber . . . in my Rugers.

Part of the fun playing with any Wildcat cartridge, you make it fit, this is as easy as that get's. Lots to choose from, but this will get you to the longest version that will!