PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 429244 question

doghawg
07-15-2010, 09:09 PM
I've got an old 4 cavity Lyman/Ideal mold that drops at .433" to .434" but the front driving band is about .428". That works out real well on a tight throated FA Mod 83. With bullets sized to .430 I can crimp in the groove and chamber easily in the .4295 throats. Accuracy at 1300 fps is outstanding in the freedom and very good in other .44's. Next project is to try these bullets sized to .432" in a big throated 624...

My question is this....Is the smaller diameter front driving band a feature of all 429244's? Are the newer ones still made this way? This is not a complaint because I'm happy with the bullet but am curious.

Thanks

Edit to add another question. Will a new Lyman rebuild kit fit on the old Ideal 4 cav mold??

Mark
07-15-2010, 10:00 PM
My question is this....Is the smaller diameter front driving band a feature of all 429244's? Are the newer ones still made this way? This is not a complaint because I'm happy with the bullet but am curious.

Thanks

Edit to add another question. Will a new Lyman rebuild kit fit on the old Ideal 4 cav mold??

Answer to the first question, Yes because Thompson designed it that way. Yes, the newer ones are made this way. Last question answer, I have no idea if the new rebuild kits fit this mold. That being said, what makes you think that you have an old mold?
As a side note, I would love to have a four cavity 429244 that throws a .433" to .434" bullet. Mine throws a .431" bullet. This is hands down my favorite 44 bullet mold. Try shooting the bullet without a gas check to save yourself a few pennies a round. All of my 44's (except my Redhawk) shoot this bullet without a gas check very well.
Mark

doghawg
07-15-2010, 10:52 PM
[QUOTE=Mark;947728 That being said, what makes you think that you have an old mold?

Mark[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response Mark. The mold is marked "Ideal" and I'm guessing that dates it back a ways but don't know any dates. I bought it used at a gun show and the blocks and cavities are in good shape but the sprue plate is warped and worn in the screw slot. I have a plan to try to straighten out the plate but I see Mid-south has rebuild kits for 8 bucks or so and that seemed like a good back-up plan.

I agree that a .44 mold that drops a little on the "fat" side is one to be appreciated.

I thought about getting the 429215 but went with a 225 RCBS which has turned out to be a good choice. Since the 215 is a Thompson bullet would it be safe to assume it has the same design with a smaller front driving band?

Thanks

bbailey7821
07-15-2010, 11:16 PM
My 429244CX has a reduced front band also, but only about .429. The sizer die just kisses it when I size them. It's a relatively late model that I just start casting with.

Firebricker
07-16-2010, 09:39 PM
The new kits have some differant hardware but threads are the same so they work. FB

doghawg
07-17-2010, 09:10 AM
I like this bullet enough that I'm thinking of getting a new 2 cav that drops at .431 and using it in the tight guns and using the old one for the looser throated guns. As it is I'm taking the .434"s down to .430 in in two steps...don't want to abuse the Star. From what I see posted on this forum the odds of getting a new Lyman that drops big are slim..........

In any case....Thanks for the replies. This is the place to come for answers.

PacMan
07-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Say doghawg i have a Lyman 429244 for sale in the sway and sale section under Package molds fs.

I list it as casting a .431 255 grain bullet. It is really closer to .4315.

$ 55.00 to your door if you want it.
Cast less than 500 bullets and in exclent shape.

Dwight