PDA

View Full Version : .310 buckshot

1slowSVT
07-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Hello Guys, I am new to this site and to casting in general, I decided to start with buckshot, because I figured I could make a lot of mistakes and it wouldn't matter a lot. Anyway I asked on another forum about how many to load per shotshell (2 3/4 AA 12 gauge) and I was told that there is no such size and that I must be mistaken :) So I figured that you guys were probably the best bet, I am pretty new to shotgun loading, I've been loading .223, 45/70, 44 mag, 9mm, 45acp, blah blah blah, for years but not shotguns so I'm trying to decide how many pellets I should put in the shell to know what wad to order. My scale says 9 pellets weigh .86 of an ounce, 12 pellets weigh 1.14 of an ounce, and 15 weigh 1.42. I don't think that 15 will even fit. I am planning on ordering claybuster wads, I just dont know what size I need. Any help on this will be appreciated.

oldtoolsniper
07-15-2010, 08:50 PM
You really need to get one of Lyman's shot-shell reloading manuals. It is not that simple and I would not trust what someone you have never met just typed out on a message board. Buckshot loading is completely different from bird-shot.

DLCTEX
07-15-2010, 09:27 PM
+1 on the Lyman Shotshell Handbook. You will need a newer edition than my 3rd, edition to get any info on Claybuster wads. I have used 9 balls of .311 in shotshells with good results, but never with Claybuster wads.

StrawHat
07-16-2010, 06:02 AM
All the info you need is in the Lyman Manual. Changing components in shotshell loads can drastically alter pressures.

1slowSVT
07-16-2010, 07:31 AM
Hmmm, Well I guess you learn something new everyday, I thought that weight was weight in a shotgun and I didn't really realize that the kind of projectile mattered. I guess I will have to hunt down one of those reloading manuals. Thanks for the info guys

Bob Krack
07-16-2010, 07:58 AM
I load 9 .311 round balls in a 2 and 3/4 inch 12 gauge. I do not have definite information in front of me but my wad was a red colored Hornaday, and the shot filled the cups to the rim.

I've used Red Dot and Unique.... quite pleased with both and especially in reduced power loads using 80% of the Lyman manual recommended load.

Bob

oldtoolsniper
07-16-2010, 09:09 AM
You can go to http://www.ballisticproducts.com/ they have a load of the week archive and you may find something there. What you need to find out is what size buck .311 is and load from there. Claybusters wads are designed for busting clays and buckshot is pretty much for hunting so the wads are designed different, kind of like a match bullet verses a varmint bullet.

1slowSVT
07-16-2010, 01:24 PM
well, I'm not set on the claybuster wads or anything they are just cheap and I like cheap :) .310 is in between #1 which is .30 and 0 which is .32 I chose it because they will stack perfectly in 3s in a wad without cutting off the petals

HORNET
07-16-2010, 04:07 PM
As a handy guide, if you go down the main index page a little ways, there is a whole forum dedicated to discussing casting for shotguns. I took a quick look and there's fairly recent discussion on using .311 round ball in 12 gauge. You'd probably get lots more info with a little digging. I'd still recommend the Lyman Shotshell Handbook for reference. Welcome to the fun. Don't believe anything you read on here about cats or sheep....

Gee_Wizz01
07-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Go to ballisticproducts.com and order their BuckShot Loading III manual. It has a lot more information than the Lyman manual and goes through the components and loading techniques.

G