PDA

View Full Version : AR15 noobie with issues

7br
07-15-2010, 05:57 PM
I am a total neophyte with ar15's. A few months ago, I bought a Rock River Arms lower. I just got a dmps upper. I cannot get them to mate up. The front pivot pin goes in correctly, but I cannot get the rear pin to go in. It looks like the base of the rear upper lug is about 1/8 inch too high and it will not allow the pin to slide in.

Help.

mike in co
07-15-2010, 11:18 PM
cock the hammer and try again.....

c3d4b2
07-15-2010, 11:51 PM
A picture might help

Triggerhappy
07-16-2010, 12:32 AM
Is your bolt carrier all the way forward? Should be flush with the rear of the upper receiver. How about the buffer, is it all the way back. Could be sticking forward a little.

If the upper and lower frame close completely and the pin holes still don't line up you have a problem. Did you order one or the other with a small pin bore like a Colt? Can't imagine that, but can't imagine the pin holes being 1/8" out of alignment. Both of those are good manufacturers.

TH

NickSS
07-16-2010, 04:37 AM
I do not know what kind of stock you have on the lower but if it is a collapsible one you may have screwed the tube in too far. This happened to me and I could not get the upper to close. Once I turned the tube out one turn it closed like it is supposed to.

Triggerhappy
07-16-2010, 12:14 PM
What Nick said!

ilcop22
07-16-2010, 02:12 PM
+1 to Nick and Trigger. One of the most common mistakes is not having the bolt carrier inserted fully. Let us know how it turns out.

7br
07-16-2010, 07:40 PM
I broke the corner over on the inside of the lower just over the rear pin hole. Works like a champ. I managed to find low scope rings that will work, but puts your head in an awkward position to shoot (Flat to reciever). Next week is my birthday so I think a new set of rings is in order.

How are the Burris Xtreme Tactical super high rings?

dk17hmr
07-16-2010, 09:54 PM
I have a set of Medium Burris Xtreme's on one of my long range shooters and am very happy with them. They are good stout rings and I have thought about getting the high ones for an AR.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/NEF/IMG_0417.jpg

7br
07-18-2010, 09:08 PM
I had a horrible range session, but I am very hopeful. Had to use extremely low rings and a cheap scope. Rings shot loose after about 10 shots. Couldn't get the scope adjusted correctly. Still managed a couple of three shot groups at about 1/2 in wide by 3 in high with j******ed. Love that the recoil feels considerably less than my .243. Rings will be here next week and I will set a nikon monarch scope on it and give it a wringing out.

ilcop22
07-19-2010, 02:02 AM
You might try getting a different stock and/or an adjustable cheek weld. You wanna really hunker down on that AR when shooting. High rings aren't the best choice for an AR-15, IMHO. However, your use/shooting style/preference will ultimately dictate your loadout. Warne makes a flat top ring set designed at an optimum height for scoped AR.

Take all this for what it's worth to ya, my duty rifle had a scope for all of 2 minutes before I replaced it with an EOtech. :-P Let us know how your new setup shoots.

BD
07-19-2010, 12:44 PM
I spent the dough for one of the Burris PEPR mounts for my .450 Bushmaster and I've been pretty happy with it. The height is right for me and it lets the scope go far enough forward that I can get my cheek close to where I'm used to on the stock. Quite a few scopes have died on ARs due to the complicated recoil forces in both directions.
BD

dk17hmr
07-19-2010, 06:55 PM
I have a PERP mount on my 300 whisper and am very happy with it and would buy another.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/IMG_0420.jpg

I have a riser and rings on my 6x45 right now....just bought some Burris Extra High Extreme mount to replace it.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/NEF/IMG_0430.jpg