PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 336 35 Rem

crazy4life
07-15-2010, 03:55 PM
My father passed away and left me his 35 Marlin. Could anyone tell me what it is worth. Looking to buy a 22 for my sons. The barrel says Marlin Model 336. Also says microgroove barrel. 35 Remington Serial # S11XXX. Looked up the number and it says manufacture date of 1958. Looks new and was used once or twice.Been in the case for the last 40 years.
Any help would be apprecciated.

MtGun44
07-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Depends a lot on the area of the country. In the NE deer hunting region where rifles are
permitted and the hunting ranges are fairly short, it could very well be a
reasonably popular rifle. Some will not like the "oddball" caliber, a smaller
group will prefer it. I believe the gun is still in production in that caliber, so not much in
the rarity dept, unless I am wrong about that. Some like the harder hitting round
compared to the .30-30, others not so much.

In states that do not permit rifle deer hunting, my guess is not much interest. Gun is for
deer and up, not much of a plinker or target rifle, so in these states that require shotguns
for deer not many will be looking for one.

I'd hazard a guess that in a "good" state and finding the right guy you could probably get
between $250 and $450 depending on condition. In a state with less ability to use for deer
hunting, my bet is closer to the lower end. Condition is a lot, so if it really is in pristine (and
this varies a lot between different people looking at the same gun) condition this will help keep
the price up. Wood beauty also can add to value. Quick sale heads towards the lower end,
willingness to wait a while for the 'right' buyer may net a higher price. Too high and it will
never sell.

Good luck, hope this helps. Maybe more expert folks can correct me if I am off base on this.

Bill

garandsrus
07-15-2010, 09:02 PM
crazy4life,

I bought one from a Michigan gunshop for about $300 if I remember correctly. It was in very good to excellent shape with a highly figured stock. I may be interested in another :)

John

35remington
07-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Since a "kids" 22 is relatively inexpensive, is there some reason why you'd really need to sell this? After all, it was your Dad's, has at least some heirloom value and is worth at least something.

In good shape these are fine rifles and good cast bullet shooters.

crazy4life
07-15-2010, 09:42 PM
My Dad bought this rifle in 1958 and used it once. My Dad was not a hunter and never hunted a day in his life. The memerories I have from my Dad and me riding his motorcycle and going to ball games are the memerories that I cherish and will never forget. A rifle that was in my dads closet for the last 40 years has no special meaning to me.

Pics
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k473/420fitter/Rifle/DSC_1253.jpg
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k473/420fitter/Rifle/DSC_1254.jpg
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k473/420fitter/Rifle/DSC_1252.jpg
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k473/420fitter/Rifle/DSC_1255.jpg
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k473/420fitter/Rifle/DSC_1256.jpg
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k473/420fitter/Rifle/DSC_1258.jpg

45r
07-15-2010, 09:52 PM
A 35rem with a straight stock would bring a good price on gunbroker or someone here might want it.My 77 35rem shoots cast good with the MC barrel.One in that shape is hard to find.35rem is a very good for hunting.If I didn't already have one I'd try to buy it.The wood to metal fit on the older rifles are usually very good and its a pre-safety.I'd hang on to it if it were me.If you go hunting you'd have a very good rifle.

captaint
07-15-2010, 10:07 PM
A fine looking rifle. Glad I don't "need" one. And I was thinking the Microgroove thing started way after the 50's. enjoy Mike

Bret4207
07-16-2010, 07:15 AM
Sooner or later you'll regret selling it. 22's are inexpensive, even decent ones. Give it some thought.

jlchucker
07-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Crazyforlife, that's a fine looking 35. I've got one just like it. There are a few of that vintage and configuration seen around here (Northern VT), mostly owned by hunters who bought them new, back in the day. While the 35 Remington may be considered as an "oddball" in Mtgun44's area, around here where the woods are dense and the whitetail ranges are short, those who own 35's prize them. The caliber hits hard, with either 200 grain Corelocts (handloads or factory) or with cast boolits. I like the latter, myself. You didn't say where you live, but if you live in a state where they hunt whitetail deer in the woods, or black bear, up close, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better rifle IMO.

smoked turkey
07-16-2010, 09:21 PM
+1 on those that have said "keep it'. Who knows but someday someone in your family might enjoy having a piece of family history. You'll never find a nicer looking Marlin 336 than the one you have. Also the 35 is a great caliber for deer and black bear in close cover. I have just purchased an old 336 in 35 Rem caliber. It was marked $400 which is way too high. I paid considerably less than that. If I hadn't just done the deed I'd be wanting yours. I like the straight stock better than the pistol grip stock I just bought.

Piedmont
07-16-2010, 11:48 PM
That is beautiful and fairly old. Don't sell it cheap. You might want to go someplace like the marlin forum and find a buyer. Also, there are probably plenty of guys on this board who would be interested in buying it if you lived close and they could get around all the expense of buying long distance (shipping and for ffl use).

madsenshooter
07-21-2010, 02:17 AM
It's old enough to be shipped directly to someone with a C&R license. Like me.

kingstrider
07-21-2010, 10:13 PM
I saw a similar one in a pawn shop today for $300 but am thinking they would take $250 OTD. Not sure how old it was but it had the waffle top receiver. Unless money was really scarce I'd hang on to it and buy a cheap .22 rifle outright. If you really want to sell, I'd be interested if you are in the central KY area.

GrizzLeeBear
07-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Beautiful rifle! Very nice walnut. The only thing I see wrong is the missing front sight hood and rear sight elevator, both of which are available from Midway, etc. But because its in such good condition and a straight grip, stock it should bring near the top "blue book" value, whatever that is.
But if it were me, I'd hang on to it, I really like my 336 in 35 Rem.

mroliver77
07-26-2010, 12:54 PM
I think it is a real jewel and would hang on to it myself. If you handload it can be loaded with an assortment of .357 bullets/boolits and light loads. They have little recoil loaded this way and are great for the kids to shoot. Good .22 ammo is not cheap and this gun can be loaded cheaply and accurately. I just love my .35 Rem Marlin.
Jay

uscra112
07-26-2010, 10:51 PM
I have one just like it, same vintage, and it came to me the exact same way. If I ever had to drop back to just one rifle, it'd be that one. Extremely versatile - you can shoot soft cast 158 grainers at subsonic velocities for small game, (or chucks in my garden from the bathroom window), hard cast at 1800 fps for varmints, and 200 grainers at over 2000fps for deer. Easy cartridge to reload, which keeps plinking cheap. Don't do something you'll regret the rest of your life for a lousy 300 bucks or so. Keep it !

wallacem
07-31-2010, 03:29 PM
Sent you a pm about buying gun. Wallacem

Larry Gibson
07-31-2010, 04:04 PM
My father passed away and left me his 35 Marlin. Could anyone tell me what it is worth. Looking to buy a 22 for my sons. The barrel says Marlin Model 336. Also says microgroove barrel. 35 Remington Serial # S11XXX. Looked up the number and it says manufacture date of 1958. Looks new and was used once or twice.Been in the case for the last 40 years.
Any help would be apprecciated.

Concur with; "you'll regret selling it", and my advise is not to. That is one nice looking rifle and now is a family hierloom. If you sell it it will be just another rifle. As mentioned .22LRs aren't that expensive.

Larry Gibson

Doc Highwall
07-31-2010, 04:16 PM
I would buy a Marlin 39a to match it.

Marine Sgt 2111
08-03-2010, 01:49 AM
I have my Dad's Canadian Centennial rifle. He only hunted with it once up north, with me. I have kept it all these years just because it was his only rifle, ever. I think in years to come, you will be glad that you kept it. There is only one like it.