PDA

View Full Version : 41 rem mag cylinder help/advice

whitetailsniper
07-14-2010, 08:18 PM
hi guys,
i need your imput on a problem i have. i have a ruger superblkhawk bisley hunter in 41 rem mag, with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. i bought this gun new,unused, when i bought it, the cylinder diam. were all differant , i took this gun to a certified sass gunsmith were i asked for the cylinder to be opened to
.411 i have many 41 rem mag molds,some of witch are from veral from lbt molds,some of witch are from nei molds, these cast some impressive wfn,and lfn ranging from 250 grain gas ck -300 grain gas ck double crimp rings, with these impressive molds i have casted bullets that require the cylinder throats to be opened, so i took to this guy to have done, and paid him, he told me he opened the cylinder throats to .411,,,, well no surprise he lied,i have 4 of them at .410 and 2 of them at .411 how do i know ? i bought a set of machinest pin gauge sets, and ck them. the .411 pin gauge will not go through the .410 holes,and did go through nicley through the .411 holes. as now, i dont trust any gunsmith to touch my guns, id like to know how i can open these myself, safely and accurately. i have to laths, so doing by hand is the only option. these are close,and not much is required to make them all true. is a reamer,or adjt. reamer the way i need to go? or honing the answer,,im thinking honing. trouble is im not sure how to and keep the holes true. any help,advice is sooooooo greatful,and needed. THANK YOU KINDLY.

mtgrs737
07-14-2010, 09:05 PM
I understand your concerns with your guns and gunsmiths, I too have had my share of troubles with so called gunsmiths, some whom were full of hot air and lacked the skills that they claimed to have. Since you have the pin gages you could do as I did on a 44 magnum cylinder and get a brass rod that is slightly over sized and chuck it in a drill press and file it down to slightly undersized for the throat you need to open up. I used 320, 400, and then 600 wet or dry sand paper as the abrasive. I cut a slot in the end of the brass rod to accomodate the paper that has been foulded double so that abrasive was on both sides. Roll the sandpaper around the brass rod so that it does not overlap and carefully insert into the throat of the chamber. Make sure the drill press is on it's slowest speed and turn it on while holding the cylinder, move the cylinder up and down about an 1/8" inch but don't let the abrasive slide down into the chamber. You can also use a variable speed hand drill to do this but remember to keep the RPM's real slow and the cylinder straight. You may need to enlarge the brass mandrel a bit by cutting tape and sticking it to the brass rod under the abrasive paper to add a gentle pressure to the paper. You only need to remove .0005" per side so you will need to keep an eye on your progess closely, it won't take much. You are just honning them and they may be closer to .411" than you think. The 600 paper will more like polish the throats so you may not even bother to do that grit. It's easier than it looks, just make sure you keep the brass rod straight and the pressure even and you will have them all the same in no time at all.

I got my brass rod off of a guy on ebay if that helps.

leftiye
07-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Getta youself a wooden dowel , tape some 400 grit or 600 grit sandpaper to it, trim the length of the sand paper so that you can just get the dowel/ sandpaper into the forcing cones when it is rolled up (from the rear is easier, and straighter), rotate the dowel/sandpaper - et voila. Can use a drill to turn it, but with only a thou. to take out, hand would probly be better.

Or you could send it to me and I'll make myself a .44 mag. minimum chambered cylinder out of it (just kidding).