PDA

View Full Version : not BP question

kokomokid
07-14-2010, 05:37 PM
I just got back from camping across northern New Mexico and thought I could find some Goex or Swiss BP there. Well surely I can get some at Gander Mnt in Lubbock TX. So here I sit with a can of Pyrodex RS to get my little rolling block venture started. Can anyone tell me how much powder to use? Hogdon web site shows 60 grains for 45/70. Is this a weighed charge? Also do you compress it and what kind of primer? Also will be using HOLLOW base 405 bullet if this makes any difference. THANKS IN ADVANCE

John Boy
07-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Kid, you might want to read the Pyrodex Loading Notes ... http://www.hodgdon.com/loading.html

All charges of Triple Seven or Pyrodex should be measured by VOLUME not weight. A simple, adjustable blackpowder measure is the correct tool for this job. All loads listed in this brochure are measured by VOLUME.
There's more information there - read the Notes CAREFULLY

montana_charlie
07-14-2010, 06:27 PM
So here I sit with a can of Pyrodex RS to get my little rolling block venture started. Can anyone tell me how much powder to use? Hogdon web site shows 60 grains for 45/70.

Is this a weighed charge?
I visited the Hodgen site and didn't see any data for reloading cartridges with Pyrodex, but I did copy this for you...

All charges of Triple Seven or Pyrodex should be measured by VOLUME not weight. A simple, adjustable blackpowder measure is the correct tool for this job. All loads listed in this brochure are measured by VOLUME.

and...

Pyrodex is lighter in weight than blackpowder and weighs only about 70% as much as blackpowder. However, because Pyrodex yields more energy per pound than does blackpowder, the same volume of Pyrodex gives similar performance to blackpowder. Pyrodex loads given in this manual for muzzleloading guns are measured by volume, not weight.

Also do you compress it
That answer is also there...

WARNING: Never allow an air space in any cartridge loaded with Pyrodex. The loading density must be 100% by light compression. 100% loading density may be accomplished in two ways:
The case is filled with powder to a level that will provide light compression of the powder (1/16" to 1/8") when the bullet is seated. Bottle necked cases must be loaded in this manner.

In straight walled cases, filler wads may be used to reduce the powder charge. This is done by inserting card or Polyethylene wads between the base of the bullet and the powder. Wads should be sized to the internal diameter of the cartridge case. The loader must be careful to insure that there are no void spaces in the assembled cartridge. NEVER use any other type of filler material.

and what kind of primer?
45/70 brass takes large rifle prmers.

Also will be using HOLLOW base 405 bullet if this makes any difference. THANKS IN ADVANCE
Sure thing...

CM

kokomokid
07-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks, I never pulled up that page for some reason. I did some research on BP and was ready to try loading it but could not find any. I was sold Pyrodex RS as being same thing as BP but I see they are not the same.

iron mule
07-14-2010, 09:47 PM
kokomokid

i have one thing to add to this not on the loading part but the part about what to do after you finish shooting
make sure you clean the good very good and don't forget about cleaning the brass also // do not put it up and say i'll get to it tomorrow/// use hot soapy water if you have access to compressed air blow all the excess water out after cleaning then oil before putting away/ and above all don't forget to check it a couple days after you put it up to make sure you did get it clean and didn't miss any hidden places
mule

NickSS
07-15-2010, 04:54 AM
Thats a Plus 1 on the cleaning. Pyrodex is more difficult to clean and keep the gun from rusting than black powder is. I always clean a gun twice once the day it is shot and again two days later. I started doing that after I had rust starting in one of my rifles a few days latter after I cleaned it like I do with black powder. I also think that pyrodex works better with a good solid compression. I usually compress the stuff at least .25 inches for good ignition. However, I do not use it much as it's too much trouble to clean after a days shooting. It takes at least two or three times as long to clean it when compared to black powder.

LIMPINGJ
07-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Next time you are going through NM call Coonie"s (800-713-6321) in Hobbs. He stocks Goex and Swiss. Call early so they can bring the order in from the magazine when they come into town for lunch. You can then pick up your order at his house.

cajun shooter
07-17-2010, 11:01 AM
If you were in Northern NM should have stopped or called Raton for some info. They would have helped.

Tom-ADC
07-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks, I never pulled up that page for some reason. I did some research on BP and was ready to try loading it but could not find any. I was sold Pyrodex RS as being same thing as BP but I see they are not the same.

I buy from this place the hazmat charge is already in the price and you can buy in 5 lb minimum. They are great people to deal with.
http://www.powderinc.com/index.html