PDA

View Full Version : Carnauba Wax As a Lube Additive.

riverwalker76
07-14-2010, 01:25 AM
I've been reading for the past several hours about using Carnauba wax (Carnuba Wax) as an additive to bullet lubes.

Can you use the Carnuba Wax Car Polish that is in the auto parts stores as an additive instead of buying the 100% Pure Carnuba online?

357maximum
07-14-2010, 07:59 AM
If you feel the need to use carnauba wax, you are far better served to buy it pure in block or flake form. Car polish is MADE FROM 100% pure carnauba.........it is not 100% pure carnauba.

100% pure carnauba would never be able to be squeezed from a bottle..............unless of course you are Hercules and happen to reside in the place that all our politicians go when they die.

jcwit
07-14-2010, 08:13 AM
I wouldn't use the liquid polish, but I do use the paste polish, recommend the non-cleaner type. It has no cleaning/polishing agents in it but then again it wouldn't hurt anyway.

I use my left over liquid and paste polishes for use in my tumbler.

Shiloh
07-14-2010, 09:56 AM
I've been reading for the past several hours about using Carnauba wax (Carnuba Wax) as an additive to bullet lubes.

Can you use the Carnuba Wax Car Polish that is in the auto parts stores as an additive instead of buying the 100% Pure Carnuba online?

The Carnauba in car polish has softeners, solvents, carriers, and other ingredients. You would be better off using pure ingredients to make a lube.

Shiloh

riverwalker76
07-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Where would I look locally for carnauba wax?

357maximum
07-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Your best bet is online ordering. Google "bulk carnauba wax" and then pick your poison.

I found a large block of it from a friend that works in the plastics moulding industry, but it was a one time deal. They use it as a mould release in the making of automotive ashtrays from thermoset plastic "biscuits". Some janitorial supply houses also carry it in pure form suspended in a carrier....but your chances are not good.................look tot he internet it is what Al Gore invented it for.:wink:

sundog
07-14-2010, 10:37 AM

Liquor store,... on Makers Mark. Of course, there is a nice side benefit to getting it this way....

mdi
07-14-2010, 11:06 AM
I think this is why JPW is used...

markinalpine
07-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Try
http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html#CarnaubaWax

Mark :coffeecom

Moonie
07-14-2010, 01:35 PM
I have a friend with a winery, they use it to cap (over the cork) one of their more expensive desert wine bottles.

His is a metallic silver color, makes for some interesting looking felix lube when its melted, all swirly.

Elkins45
07-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Try

Mark :coffeecom

That's where I bought mine--they also have good prices on anhydrous lanolin.

riverwalker76
07-14-2010, 04:32 PM
I found it locally, and for $4.00 a pound. Thanks everyone.

Elkins45
07-14-2010, 05:02 PM
You found it in Owensboro for $ 4 a pound? Where? I'll pick up some when I'm down that way next week.

riverwalker76
07-14-2010, 05:48 PM
You found it in Owensboro for $ 4 a pound? Where? I'll pick up some when I'm down that way next week.

No offense, but I'm protecting my source. I can't seem to get simple answers I like from this forum, so I'm keeping my info private.

No offense towards you, but the gift horse has been slapped one too many times.

semtav
07-14-2010, 06:09 PM
No offense, but I'm protecting my source. I can't seem to get simple answers I like from this forum, so I'm keeping my info private.

from 357maximum If you feel the need to use carnauba wax, you are far better served to buy it pure in block or flake form. Car polish is MADE FROM 100% pure carnauba.........it is not 100% pure carnauba

from 357maximum Your best bet is online ordering. Google "bulk carnauba wax" and then pick your poison.

I found a large block of it from a friend that works in the plastics moulding industry, but it was a one time deal. They use it as a mould release in the making of automotive ashtrays from thermoset plastic "biscuits". Some janitorial supply houses also carry it in pure form suspended in a carrier....but your chances are not good.

Not sure quite what you were looking for here, but it looks like 357maximum answered your questions pretty succinctly. guess He should have known about that supply in your town and told you about it. :roll:

felix
07-14-2010, 06:41 PM
No offense, but there is something about you that I don't like. ... felix

riverwalker76
07-14-2010, 06:44 PM
No offense, but there is something about you that I don't like. ... felix

None taken. ;)

Not everyone can get along. I go back to what my Marine Corps OCS Officer Instructor told me .... "You aren't here to make friends... you ARE here to save lives!" There have been many a Grunt that has felt the butt end of that statement in the passing years. [smilie=f:

randyrat
07-14-2010, 06:47 PM
I have a friend with a winery, they use it to cap (over the cork) one of their more expensive desert wine bottles.

His is a metallic silver color, makes for some interesting looking felix lube when its melted, all swirly. Be sure to have your friend save ALL the wine seals that are rejects. It's 100% pure Tin Sn except for a little paint on them. Unless he uses plastic or Aluminum. The ones that are Tin are 99.99% pure.

riverwalker76
07-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Be sure to have your friend save ALL the wine seals that are rejects. It's 100% pure Tin Sn except for a little paint on them. Unless he uses plastic.

Well ... that's no good. We have one guy that makes all of our wine and he corks without a seal. :sad:

Thanks for the tip nonetheless. I'll keep that in mind.

bigboredad
07-14-2010, 08:28 PM
I am kind of confused on how you are supposed to save lives here. But I'm pretty sure making friends will be in your best interest as opposed to treating people like grunts

mold maker
07-14-2010, 09:06 PM

Well now,,, I find it offending for one to ask for info, and blatantly refuse to give any. This is a give and take kinda place where friends, that have never met, are delighted to share their experience.

Recluse
07-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Not everyone can get along. I go back to what my Marine Corps OCS Officer Instructor told me .... "You aren't here to make friends... you ARE here to save lives!" There have been many a Grunt that has felt the butt end of that statement in the passing years. [smilie=f:

Yeah? Well guess what, pal.

You ain't the only one here to have worn a uniform and/or have walked on a battlefield. We're not here to save lives, but to share and discuss better ways of casting better boolits, making better lubes, learning new ways to do things while perfecting the old ways, etc etc.

You're getting a helluva good education here on your newly discovered pastime, and what's more, you're getting it for FREE.

So you're going to hole-up with a fellow caster and neighbor a few miles from you interested in where he gets a deal--or maybe anyone else from your neck of the woods because you don't always like the answers you get to your smart-assed questions and remarks?

I'm with Felix, and you are another excuse to exercise my Ignore List.

:coffee:

jcwit
07-14-2010, 10:02 PM

The Carnauba in car polish has softeners, solvents, carriers, and other ingredients. You would be better off using pure ingredients to make a lube.

Shiloh

This is true, but the auto wax works fine for my use, and easily found. In fact I find enough at garage sales for my needs.

GabbyM
07-14-2010, 11:04 PM
This is true, but the auto wax works fine for my use, and easily found. In fact I find enough at garage sales for my needs.

To clarify.
Auto wax is fine. Auto polish has abrasive clay ingredient to polish. Many assume this would do a radical polish job on there bore and I'd tend to agree with that theory. After all it's an abrasive.
Johnson Paste Wax (JPW) carnauba wax people mention for bullet lube is the version in a tin can that is straight wax in firm paste form. The fat short cans. Shaped like a hockey puck.

For mixing up Felix lube you need the castor and lanolin so most stores that have that have carnauba flakes plus the stearic acid to replace Ivory soap in the recipe.

Elkins45
07-14-2010, 11:09 PM
None taken. ;)

So you saved my life by not telling me where you bought carnauba wax?

Uh, thanks...I guess.

jcwit
07-14-2010, 11:10 PM
Auto polish has abrasive clay ingredient to polish. Many assume this would do a radical polish job on there bore and I'd tend to agree with that theory. After all it's an abrasive.

No more abrasive than the minor amount of polishing compound left from tumbling your brass. Furthermore I've yet to see a Corvette with the paint rubbed thru by polishing.

kenjuudo
07-15-2010, 01:01 PM

I am at a loss trying to understand how you have been a gift horse to this forum, or find any instance of you being wronged....However I've been cranking out FWFL at the rate of four pounds a year for eight years or so and still have not gone through my first pound of carnuba wax GIVEN to me by a member of this forum that is treating you so badly....Maybe if one of us would just make the lube for you would that be simple enough for you? No doubt in my mind someone here would.

jim

GabbyM
07-15-2010, 01:14 PM
No more abrasive than the minor amount of polishing compound left from tumbling your brass. Furthermore I've yet to see a Corvette with the paint rubbed thru by polishing.

I've a rotary buffer out in the shed that I assure you will go through a paint job in under one second. With nothing buy turtle wax or McGuire's. All you have to do is hit a corner and put to much pressure on a small spot. but that's not a bullet in a bore so I can't say polish would actually polish away any bore metal. especially in the small amounts used in lube. But don't be thinking it's not an abrasive. Lead and antimony are also abrasive as is gun powders hot gas. We have normal wear and it's not good to loose sleep with to much worry over it. But if you're buying off the shelf and have a choice I'd get the one without the polish. There is a lot of carnauba in one of those pint jars from the candle vendor.

No_1
07-15-2010, 01:19 PM
This thread is now dead as far as I am concerned. The OP ask a question, got an answer then found a source for the product in his own town. He is now "On Vacation" so he will not be answering for a little while.....

Robert

Doby45
07-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Amen, Robert. Thank you..

mdi
07-16-2010, 07:36 PM
I read somewhere "If thine eye offends thee, pluck it out". I also use that logic being somewhere I didn't like; "If the forum offends thee, get thyself out!"

Trey45
07-16-2010, 11:34 PM
I can appreciate the ire this user has provoked, please keep in mind the user in question has been given 10 days off to reconsider how it presents itself on this board. The staff would appreciate it if any and all comments directed towards the offending party would stop until the offending party is off vacation and can clarify its actions if possible. We thank you sincerely.

Recluse
07-17-2010, 03:06 AM
I'm fond of calling Cast Boolits "The World's Largest Small Town."

In that respect, we often find ourselves taking in folks from big cities who are not used to the small town decorum, feel and laid-back "you watch my back and I'll watch yours" that we try very hard to maintain here.

There are only two other forums that I even occasionally contribute to other than this one. One is a boating forum, the other is a very specific general aviation site whose core subject matter is homebuilt/experimental airplanes. The latter has a feel much like this site, the former has over 40,000 members yet maintains a good decorum.

I'll give the vacationing poster benefit of the doubt in coming to our small town. If casting boolits and reloading and the joy and challenges therein is what he is seeking to do, there simply is no better place anywhere than Cast Boolits to pull up a log around the campfire and listen to the old-timers whittle, spit and chew.

Just about everyone that comes our way has, or can have, something to contribute. But the folks who've been here a while often have the most to contribute and are the true "gift horses." The magic here is that we are open-minded enough to not only learn from each other, but to trust each other in doing so.

That can be hard to adjust to coming from a big city to a small town--you often think it's just too good to be true or that someone is trying to put the shine on you.

Hopefully our vacationing poster will still read some of the various discussions going on in a variety of the subject areas/forums and begin to see the generosity and lack of ulterior motives that exist here--and that what makes it work is that all of streets and roadways here travel in both directions.

One travels in the direction of "Give" and the other travels in the direction of "Take." And both will get you where you want to go.

:coffee:

cajun shooter
07-17-2010, 08:52 AM
I have two forums that are in my favorites bar so that I have one touch access. This forum and the SASS forum. Since I found this forum some three years ago it has been my morning life line. I can't do anything until I make at least one pass. I know that some of you probably say oh no there is Cajun with another opinion. It is a problem that I know I have in that if someone is having a problem I want to help right away. That causes some of my answers to be long with extra included. I feel that when you are here you are a member of a large family and when everyone does that it is the best forum on the web. I tip my hat to the way this problem was handled. Very fast and without further adieu. Later David

alamogunr
07-17-2010, 10:28 AM

No offense, but I'm curious, with over 4 posts per day since joining and not getting "simple answers" you like, why are you still here?:confused:

John
W.TN

Sorry! I didn't see the request to suspend comments.

I will make one more comment. I had dealing with MMS(the Sage) several years ago and was very pleased with the experience.

buck1
07-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Here you go guys , good prices that are REAL not made up...