PDA

View Full Version : Contender help

DragoonDrake
07-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Guys I have a problem. Besides having bit the contender bug, I have a super 14 in 44 mag that shoots 12 inches high at 25 yards. I have been using 310gr bullets with h110 and 2400. What can I do to get the point of impact down? I called tc and they said that the 44 comes with the highest blade they make. Is there some other front sight that I can use to hit lower. I want to stay iron.
Adam

fourarmed
07-13-2010, 11:29 AM
There have been several TC rear sights. The most common one has interchangeable blades. I have seen them as thin (vertically) as 1/8". If you know anybody in your area who shoots silhouette, you can probably find someone with a drawer full of contender sights.

leftiye
07-14-2010, 03:43 AM
Taller front sight.

Ed K
07-14-2010, 07:50 AM
Is there any chance that TC's 44 barrel is supposed to come with the highest blade they make but yours didn't?

Geraldo
07-14-2010, 08:05 AM
PM sent with a possible solution.

DragoonDrake
07-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Ed K they sent me a new front blade saying it was the highest and it is the same height as what I already have. That was also my initial thought.
Adam

P.S. Thank you Geraldo

Doc_Stihl
07-14-2010, 09:14 AM
I had issues with my contender printing very high with light loads(poi with 310 H110 loads was poa from the factory). Ended up finding the culprit. DWELL TIME. Try shooting the pistol off a bench with a really tight grip focusing on keeping the barrel in the yoke of a rest. See if it's your grip or the gun.

DragoonDrake
07-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Sorry for the delayed response. Doc I am hesitant to try that bc that is not how I shoot. That sounds like a way to start a bad jerk. Thank you for the advice though.

JSH
07-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Maybe the rear sight. Don't quote me but I think they made 3 different heights, maybe 5. It was an odd number as i recall.
Buddy of mine has a 44 mag that did the same thing. I think we put the lowest rear on it and he still had to redrill the front and raise it up.
jeff

fryboy
07-19-2010, 06:59 PM
ummm does it shoot a lighter bullet to a lower point of impact ?

jsizemore
07-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Adam,

I had a friend who wanted to shoot taco hold with iron sights but at the time nobody made sights for that setup. He took his front sight off, drilled and tapped it for a machine screw. After a little filing, shooting and some more filing, he had something like a globe adjustable front sight. A little blue locktite or a set screw tapped into the side of the base should take care of any recoil loosening issues. Since T/C sent you an extra front sight, you can have some fun. If you don't feel adventuresome, call Ken @ Ken Light Manufacturing and tell him your woes and he might have something that will work. If he's still around. Good Luck

kennisondan
07-20-2010, 09:56 PM
also try a lighter bullet; I will try to find the name of the guy that built different height sights for my six guns a few years ago... I would likely just remove the front, dovetail it and order up a rifle front the right height with a gold bead on it, etc. check to see that replacement sights will be high enough.. the only other idea is a replacement rear too... my rear seems to be pretty tall IIRC.. I bet you can find a shorter TC rear with some help.. I hope I can find mine and help you out.. I love my contender and encore.. maybe we can talk contender after I get my feet better on the ground with my BPCR newbie needs..
dk

DragoonDrake
07-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Thanks Kennisondan. I have been trying a lighter bullet pushed much harder, I was only able to bring the POI down to 10-12 inches.

Adam

leadman
07-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Have you put a straight edge on the barrel? Would not be the first bent barrel I've seen.
How is the crown?
Had a Universal M-1 carbine that did not have enough windage adjustment. Barrel was bent. Took the action out of the stock at the range and stepped on it until it was sighted in.
Range officer got a charge out of it!

canyon-ghost
07-24-2010, 07:24 PM
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/contenders/41frame001.jpg Oh, you mean like my 14" barrel? How does your forend fit? Good, or is the front lug in a bind? How about the rear sight from a 10" barrel - the new TC target sight? I changed mine. What you may have is a too light powder charge, with the accompanying high arc instead of a hard, down to business load.
I'm still working these things out but, keep in mind that a 10" barrel will sight in at 100 meters so, exactly where do you think the 14" would sight in at? That one is still bothering me, and I'm sorely tempted to go shoot 200 yard targets first.
My troubles aren't in 44 mag though, it's a 41 Remington Magnum. I'm betting your front forend is binding on the lug when you tighten it (like mine did).
Hope thats TC ideas enough,
Ron

DragoonDrake
07-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Lead man I have only heard of doing that with shotgun barrels. Geraldo helped me with my 44 problem.

Canyon-Ghost I did shoot mine at 200 meters and that was the zero point. Everything in between was high over the targets. I tried lite bullets, heavy bullets, lite loads and um maybe heavier loads than what the books said was ok. I settled on a few good shooting bullets. One is the Lee C430-310-RF, BRP 434-300-PB, and the last Lyman 245 SWC. Good luck with your problem.

Adam