PDA

View Full Version : One strong argument for Lee Liquid Alox

Elkins45
07-13-2010, 11:05 AM
I don't know I've seen this mentioned anywhere, but there is one application where LLA is probably the best possible choice. For long term storage of loaded rounds in very hot conditions I can see where a LLA tumble lube bullet would be my very first choice. One thing you definitely wouldnt have to worry about is the LLA melting into the powder charge and deactivating or weakening it.

I have a box of 50 loaded rounds of 357 mag setting base down in my very hot garage at the moment. The lube in the bullets is one of my home brew mixes, and I plan to leave them there all summer before I shoot them. I may pull a bullet or two before I head to the range just to see if the lube grooves are empty or only partially full. This is a real concern with a soft traditional type lube.

With LLA you could leave them in the trunk for years without having to worry about it melting out. It's something worth thinking about for folks who say LLA is totally worthless.

geargnasher
07-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Yes, indeed. Worry-free long-term or hot storage. It even stays on the boolit bases all the way through the target!

Gear

bigboredad
07-13-2010, 06:01 PM
if you have good neck tension shouldn't that keep the lube in the lube grooves? I hope so cause my lube is pretty soft and sticky however it has on been in the 90's here

buck1
07-13-2010, 07:24 PM
I just ran a test on this subject. I had a bunch of old candle wax And even thoe I dislike to use the stuff I decided to make it a lube. I added lots of greese and some vasoline and stric acid and finaly it started looking good, BUT it had a rather low melting point. Not wanting to waste all the time ,$, and energy I had put in to it, I lubed a boolit and set it in my HOT shop on a plain white card( unloaded, boolit only) and covered it with a paper towel. After about 30-40 days,@ 95 to 110 degs I checked it. The boolit was fine, no lube had run from the groves. I think if it were left in a hot car it would run , but short of that it SEEMS fine.
I am not trying to prove anything , just sharing my test data. ....Buck

buckbeans
07-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Car interior in southern arizona can go up to 200 degree's per master google

Shiloh
07-14-2010, 09:51 AM
if you have good neck tension shouldn't that keep the lube in the lube grooves? I

Yes.

Also be sure there is no lobe on the bases to possibly ooze int the powder.

Shiloh

Elkins45
07-14-2010, 10:55 AM
There's a lot of anecdotal evidence to suggest that lube runout is a real problem in extreme temperatures, especially in formulas that contain a measurable percentage of components that are normally liquid at room temperature.

bigboredad
07-14-2010, 12:48 PM
I took a couple of my lubed loaded boolits and put them nose down in a clear ammo box and set them on my dash board and had no runs. I can also put my lube in a jar on my dash board and it will melt it completely. Not sure what it proves but once the loads cooled down enough to touch I shot them with no problems again I don't know what this proves or if it helps or not

2ndAmendmentNut
07-21-2010, 05:50 PM
I once deliberately left twenty 45colt black powder cartridges lubed with SPG in my truck parked in the Texas summer sun. No idea how hot it got in there but I would say 150 degrees is close. I took the cartridges out after two afternoons and fired them all without a problem. That lead me to conclude that as long as the lube is in the lube grooves when you seat the boolit it will stay there provided you have adequate neck tension.

As to LLA I have yet to find an application it is “best at,” other then clogging up reloading dies and annoying the wife. Oh wait LLA is also good at collecting pocket lint on the noses of boolits.

Suo Gan
07-21-2010, 07:19 PM
I don't know I've seen this mentioned anywhere, but there is one application where LLA is probably the best possible choice. For long term storage of loaded rounds in very hot conditions I can see where a LLA tumble lube bullet would be my very first choice. One thing you definitely wouldnt have to worry about is the LLA melting into the powder charge and deactivating or weakening it.

I have a box of 50 loaded rounds of 357 mag setting base down in my very hot garage at the moment. The lube in the bullets is one of my home brew mixes, and I plan to leave them there all summer before I shoot them. I may pull a bullet or two before I head to the range just to see if the lube grooves are empty or only partially full. This is a real concern with a soft traditional type lube.

With LLA you could leave them in the trunk for years without having to worry about it melting out. It's something worth thinking about for folks who say LLA is totally worthless.

Elkins45 AKA Dick Lee :-P I know you do not like to rave about your products, so let me be the first to say "You are the man!" I love practically everything you have ever made, and I don't feel guilty about it either...LLA is fantastic for its intended use, and keeps po guys from mortgaging the house on a Lyman sizer, then a RCBS, then a SAECO then a Star...