PDA

View Full Version : Lead Percentage down per barrel

BSkerj
07-12-2010, 06:44 PM
I am fortunate to have free access to WW's. I had to get into a little of my stash this weekend so I could make up some ingots for a fellow caster. I usually try and keep 2- 55 gallons drums filled. I filled one drum between Jan. 2010 to April 2010, this drum contained about 30% steel and 70% lead. I used the 2nd drum to fill the order that I just finished filling back at the beginning of July and out of curiousity I wanted to see what the percentage was between lead and steel...turns out now to be 50/50. I would be hard pressed to pay over 25.00 for a 5 gal. bucket now. I am curious to see what the next drum will bring...should be done by Nov. hopefully it will not go below 50/50 but I have a hunch the tables will turn. My supplier's company just went to steel at the first of the year so now I am trying to get as much as I can while I can.:cry:

07-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Yep, the percentage of non-lead weights is steadily increasing, with 50/50 right around the corner.

clodhopper
07-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Lucky here so far.
Last bucket mid June this year, had about 3 gallons of weights with about 1 quart steel. and 5 or six zinc weights.
Paid 15 bucks.

Ervin
07-13-2010, 06:22 PM
I stopped shopping tire stores here, I live in the hills. Look for old junk yards. Most I visit don't get much calls for lead/ww. Go to counties in the farming areas, stay away from areas that have big deep water lakes. Bait mfgs make contract deals here. The Chevy dealer where I have bought cars and many tires is locked into a bait mfg co. Last visit to a junk yard scored 200 pounds of tractor weights & 400 pounds of rusty WW with about a double handful of steel & zink. Go to the bottoms (flat land).
Ervin

BoolitSchuuter
07-13-2010, 06:59 PM
I got a 5 gal. bucket last Friday. Weighed 135 lbs, had a small handful of steel wws and 2 zinc wws and 15lbs of stick ons.:lovebooli

qajaq59
07-14-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm still doing pretty well. Most of the w/w are the large ones in relation to the clips. And there have been very few zinc ones. But my mechanic is still using lead. Best of all they are free.