PDA

View Full Version : 1891 argies

Frank46
07-12-2010, 12:28 AM
Just thought I'd pass this on. Check the for sale section on Gunboards. There is one gentleman selling 1891 argie carbine barreled actions w/o a bolt for $100. I asked how the bores were and bright and shiney. Got one on order will let you know how I made out. He also has others again without the bolt that go for $150 so I'm guessing with wood but don't hold me to it. And further down are a couple sportered
long rifles look to be in good condition. If the modorators feel this is inappropriate they can delete this post. Frank

Frank46
07-30-2010, 01:22 AM
Well I finally received my 1891 argy carbine bbld action without bolt. Outside of the missing bolt all parts were present except the sling swivel that's located about 1/2 way up from the bbl band. Bores were not brite and shiney. If you looked through the bbl from the breech end and after you got the dried up grease out what you would see some shine mostly in the throat area and the tops of the lands were clean and free of rust and pitting. The rear site is in good condition and works well. The bbld action seems to have been refinished. It appears that the bbld action was lightly bead blasted and either blued or has a sprayed on finish. Took the spare bolt I had and tried it out. No problems were noted. Think he may have one or two remaining. Total price with shipping was 117.50 sent by usps. did I get stung?. Not at this time. Barrel is cleaning up and already have some shine in the bore. There is some pitting in the bbl, but appears to be fairly small and should not present much of an obstacle in shooting cast boolits. I have three boxes privi partisan 7.65x53 180 grain ammo. That should help shine things up a bit. Frank

dualsport
07-30-2010, 02:13 AM
Congratulations on your new toy. The '91 Argies are great guns. I was shooting two of them today, one with Hornady factory 150 gr. load and the other with a cast bullet. Either one will kill a deer same as a .308 Winchester. Maybe you could post a few pics as your project comes along?

Frank46
07-31-2010, 12:19 AM
Dualsport, I have to publicky confess to being electronically challenged. Aside from that in the last month I managed to snag one 1891 argy carbine with stock, then the bbld action came up on gunbroker and got that one. I got lucky as I had a severly cut down long rifle stock which worked out great. A spare bolt I know I have
somewhere just have to remember where its at. I missed one at a store by fractions of a second. Just got a quick look and snapped off the table. Think I have about 4 argies, 2 carbines and two sportered rifles both of which I bought from members here. Too hot to cast anything but have a few that been sitting of the shelf. When it cools down some will load them up and try them out. Lyman #314299 which I use in my finnish m27. Frank

dualsport
07-31-2010, 02:11 AM
You and me both. I've tried to post pictures, it's over my head. I use that same boolit, and the new 316299 from NOE.

Buckshot
08-01-2010, 02:18 AM
...............Springfield Sporters has brand new (well, NOS) carbine bolt bodies (bent handle) for $15.

..............Buckshot

Frank46
08-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Buckshot, thanks for the reminder about springfield sporters. Had forgotten about them. Frank