PDA

View Full Version : Good Bye Dad, I'm sure gonna miss you...

lathesmith
07-11-2010, 11:51 PM
I lost Dad on June 22, he lost his battle against cancer. He was diagnosed in April with TCC, I won't relay all the grim details, but this rapidly-spreading, very deadly cancer originated in his kidney and by the time we found it, it had spread everywhere and it was too late. His 3-month ordeal was a waking nightmare, watching my always-before healthy and active father waste away and finally be taken by this terrible disease was very, very painful indeed.

Dad was my mentor, shooting buddy, hunting partner, and general firearms enthusast, as well as being a real jack-of-many-trades craftsman. He was truly one of us, his passing is a loss to the shooting and hunting fraternity as well as being catastrophic for the whole family.
Hunting, shooting, and going to gun shows just won't be the same without Dad around. I miss you Dad, I'm glad your suffering is at an end, but it still hurts mighty bad to lose you.

lathesmith

crabo
07-12-2010, 12:12 AM
I know how you feel. I lost my dad 10 years ago and I still miss him. I'm glad you had a good one, so many people don't.

billyb
07-12-2010, 12:15 AM
saddned to hear of your loss.my dad passed in 88 from lung cancer. I still think of him often. think of the good times you had with him. time helps. Bill

Marine Sgt 2111
07-12-2010, 02:03 AM
I too know that empty feeling of loss of ones father. Mine has been gone since '75 and there isn't a time that I look at my son and wished he could have known him. We are the lucky ones, we had the chance to share hunting times with our Dad's, to learn about life from them and to grow as they guided us. I miss mine. Condolences to you and your family. Be comforted in knowing that he now shoots on calm, dry, sunny ranges and that someday, when it's your time, you can share that too.

Dean D.
07-12-2010, 04:57 AM
I am very sorry to hear of your loss Lathesmith. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. It sounds like your Dad was one heck of a family man who will be missed very much.

jmsj
07-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Lathesmith,
I can only give you my deepest condolences. I too have lost family members to cancer, two uncles and my Grand Father. My Grand Father was my idol as a Man, Christian and hunter. Been 20 years and I still miss him and his advise. My only solice was that I knew his pain was over and I will see again in heaven.
My family will pray for you and your family. jmsj

45nut
07-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Condolences my friend, he shall always be with you though. You carry his spirit and knowledge now.

Muddy Creek Sam
07-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Chris,

Condolences to you and the Family. Lost my Dad in 97 and miss him all the time.

Sam :D

fatnhappy
07-12-2010, 11:18 AM
I understand your grief and wish you and your family all the condolences I can offer. I'm so sorry for your loss. My family will say a prayer for your father.

Dean

Boondocker
07-12-2010, 12:46 PM
I lost my father in 88 and mother in 91 , losing loved ones is tough. What brings a smile on your face is when you do or say something and they come to mind. You and yours have my condolences.

mold maker
07-12-2010, 02:41 PM
I lost my Dad in 01, and Mom in Feb. this year. Sorting through their life's collection of stuff brings many joyful memories from their lives.
Prayers for you and your family are all I can offer, but know that time will allow you to feel less pain, and enjoy each glimpse of his past.
Each time you handle something he used, you will feel the connection.

gon2shoot
07-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Sorry to hear it.

May God ease your pain.

ph4570
07-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Sorry to hear it. Hang in there, remember the good times.

I have many photos of my family members who have passed on. While viewing them brings a tear or two I always feel better remembering.

RobS
07-13-2010, 02:38 AM
I’m very sorry to hear of your heartache. Try and let your memories bring back some happiness and smiles should you become overwhelmed. I would like to extend my family's thoughts and prayers to you and yours.

Take care,

Rob

07-13-2010, 07:28 PM
Like Ken said your Old Man is always with you.

shdwlkr
07-13-2010, 07:42 PM
lathesmith
Sorry to hear you lost your dad, I lost my 6 years ago to cancer and we lost the wife's the same year to Alzheimer's. Miss my dad very much as he was my go to person on gardening as such. We both worked in civil engineer him in hydraulics and me in construction. Got to tell him what worked and didn't.
Lost my mom 10 months after dad she just could not live without him they were together 63 years.

BBA
07-14-2010, 11:25 AM
God bless you and your family. Cancer is a horrible disease. Prayers sent for you.

snsbpb
07-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Hi lathesmith, sorry to hear about the loss of your dad, he must have been a very good dad.

My dad died when I was 12 years old and he was a very good dad to me also. He had blood clots that went to his lungs, it was really quick and totally unexpected.

My mom passed away July 4 of this year, at cox south btw, from kidney disease. She was 76 years old. I've been taking care of her for years, she suffered a lot and it was a very slow process to die.

Hope you are doing alright. There will be brighter days ahead, I am sure.

Bret4207
07-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Lost my Dad on Fathers Day, 6/21/81. I was only 21 and just getting to the point where I realized he was a lot smarter than I thought before. I envy the time you had. And you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

There's no finer testament to a mans life than to be respected and loved by his family and friends.

smokemjoe
07-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Sorry to hear about your dad, you got to know your dad well, your very lucky, Mine had the same thing and in the same place and the same lenght of time, That was in 1962, He was 42 years old, I was 14,He was a dark to dark farmer in Wis. Never got to know him.

Artful
07-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Sorry for your loss, remember all things you did together - that never goes away - and leave a good memory for those you care about.

madsenshooter
07-21-2010, 01:33 AM
Yes, the good things. Recently I had occasion to pass through a favorite old hunting area, and the days of great-grandpa, grandpa, dad, and all the rest of the family hunting together on the holidays came back to me. There's really no sorrow that great-grandpa and grandpa are gone, nor is there any that dad soon will be, there are places much better than this world.

Dillon
07-22-2010, 01:17 AM
You truly have to count your blessings, I am sure that you have many fine memories with your father that you wouldn't trade for anything else in this world. I lost my dad 15 years ago when i was four years old and amazingly i still have a few of those memories shooting little .22s and fishing imprinted in my mind. those are the ones that i look to the most when i really need that something to get me by. even though he is gone i try every day to make him proud. My most prized possession that I have isn't money, or all the pistols that I call baby, or even my truck. Besides the memories its the .270 that my dad left me and the last few rounds of ammo he loaded for it, that one day, when Im ready, I will take hunting with me just as he did so many years ago.

mroliver77
07-22-2010, 12:34 PM
lathesmith,
I just noticed this. I am so sorry for your loss. I know what its like to lose your Dad and buddy. Prayers for you and family. Funny how a brother on here hurting can afect us all. Chin up and carry on.
Jay

uncle joe
07-22-2010, 12:49 PM
I know how you feel, I lost my dad in 05. I am so glad he got to know his grandkids. Your description sounds like your talking about my dad, he is the one that passed on the love of guns and handloading/casting to me. He is sorely missed but I remember him daily and have many of his ways, as I'm sure you have also from your dad.
As someone said earlier remember the great time you had and he will never be far.
And I am sorry for your loss.
JE

rollmyown
07-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Chris,

Sorry for your loss mate.

Rob.