PDA

View Full Version : FEG made P9R

twotrees
07-11-2010, 11:25 PM
I picked up this 9MM at my favorite pawn shop and it was low priced for several reasons.

#1 The insides look like it went through Desert Storm and was put up ,Post haste.
(That I can fix with a good soak and scrub down.)

#2 missing the rear site.
( looks like a DA clone of a Browning Hi Power, but made in Hungary)

I check with GunParts, and they don't list it.
Thought I might look at a Millet 45 low adjustable site and mod the dove tail to fit it.

Any one have one of these? Is it worth the cost of a good site? It Looks like Hi Power mags would work in it, Any Ideas?

I have too many 9MM cases waiting to be shot and sure hope this will be a fun gun.

Thanks

NickSS
07-11-2010, 11:45 PM
You have the DA model while mine is the SA version. Mine takes any high power mag I have tried and the parts seam to be interchangable with the Browning at least the mainspring guide is as I broke the loop that the takedown pin goes through and bought a replacement HP one from Brownells and it just droped in like it was made for it. The only thing I did not like about my Hungarian HP was the spongy draggy trigger pull but I removed the magazine disconnect and this improved the trigger a whole lot The gun works fine without it but it no longer inactivates the trigger when you pull the mag. I kept the part so I can reinstall it if I decide to sell it but that is not likely as I really like the pistol and it cost me 1/3 of what a Browning would and as near as I can tell there is not that much difference in quality between them.

HeavyMetal
07-11-2010, 11:46 PM
I have a bud at work that has the P9R and mags will not interchange with hi power mags.

I have the FEG 9mm Hi power clone, PJK??, and everything on it inter changes with the browning P-35.

As far as shooting is concerned no issues so far it shoots as well as any other DA auto loader and better than most.

A sight swap is certainly possible but you'll have to get your Millet used they don't make them any more.

You might try the LPA sights. Look in the Brownell's catalog and see if they are still available. This is a low munt adjustable sight designed to fit the factory 1911 dovetail and use the stock front sight.

With a little measureing and some file work it just might be what you want.

Skrenos
07-12-2010, 08:01 PM
The FEG P9M is the hi-power clone. The P9R is more of a S&W 9mm clone.

Gee_Wizz01
07-17-2010, 10:32 PM
I had a P9R for several years, but I traded it for a Ruger P89. The P9R was very nicely finished and was fairly accurate, it was also very reliable. However, the trigger on mine was not very smooth and it was very heavy. Heavy Metal is right, the Hi-Power mags will not work in the P9R, and that is why I traded mine off. Back in the early 90's I could not find any spare mags for the P9R, so I got rid of it. Things seem to have changed as I have seen them lately on the internet at very reasonable prices. My P9R was a great plinking gun and a lot of fun to shoot.

G

Guesser
07-18-2010, 09:41 AM
I have a FEG HP clone, single action, takes browning 13 round magazines. I cast the Ohaus 124 gr. truncated cone bullet and size to .357. Works very well. Had it 10 or 12 years, seems to be a good gun.

twotrees
07-19-2010, 08:30 PM
I said Millet as the latest Brownell's I have is 2008 and they were still listed in that one.

I guess I better up-date my stock books Huh?[smilie=s:

I did look for mags and they are Expensive, but I'll bite the Boolit and get a couple more before the supply drys up.

Again thanks for the help Y'All.