PDA

View Full Version : 1st Alloy Attempt - Math Check

101VooDoo
07-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Getting ready to do my first alloy, getting a big goose-egg on finding wheel weights locally, but have scrounged:

50 lbs of reclaimed shot (Guessing about 3% antimony as its from a trap range and probably has a fair amount of magnum shot)
25 lbs of virgin Mag shot (looks like 70's vintage so maybe 6% antimony)
20 lbs of lead sheeting of some sort (from a friend who's dad was a plumber, he said it was used for shower basins)
Thought I'd add 2 lbs of 95/5 solder.

If my math works, this ought to round out to 95/3/2 or so for +/- 12 BHN ?

Jim

lwknight
07-12-2010, 02:45 AM
I don't think that a calculator would help much with such potential varibles so by the overview , I'd say that you are in the park.

It might end up a little harder than 12 after a few weeks aging.
I bet it casts nice anyway.

sagacious
07-12-2010, 02:54 AM
Guesstimate math is just that-- a guess at the very best. By your numbers, it's closer to 96/2/2. It's much easier for people to check your answer if you show your math, and not just the answer.

Guessing BHN of unverified lead sources is fruitless, as a small variation in the actual alloy can swing the BHN off considerably. Bend it up and test it. Good luck.

imashooter2
07-12-2010, 06:47 AM
The math says you are putting 3 pounds of antimony and 2 pounds of tin in a 97 pound melt. That's near enough 95/3/2. But as already stated, since you are guessing what goes in the pot, it's just a guess as to what comes out.

101VooDoo
07-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks,

Wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something obvious.

Jim

cajun shooter
07-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Most magnum shot that I use such as Lawerance brand has it's magnum shot at 4% antimony or some as high as 5%.

HeavyMetal
07-13-2010, 09:57 AM
+1 to Cajun Shooter.
Your real variable is the shot your using the virgin stuff you should be able to google the maker and get a rough estimte of content.

As for the reclaimed stuff I would figure it for half what you think it should be as to antimony content.

Been to enough trap and skeet ranges to know most guys won't pop for the good shot just for practise. Most will be plain chilled even in the store bought stuff.

The good news is you should have a sweetener in the mag shot and as long as your antimony content stays higher than the tin I think you'll have a workable alloy.

101VooDoo
07-13-2010, 10:21 AM
The virgin shot is 'All American Hard Shot' made by RSR corp. Looks as if they only made shot under that name between '71 and '84. Hopefully it'll have just enough antimony to fix the mix.

If not, I've got a bag of West Coast #6 I've been moving around the garage for a few years I could toss in as well.

Guess what I really need is a hardness tester.

Thanks again,

Jim