PDA

View Full Version : Lee group buy mold

jtaylor1960
07-11-2010, 06:02 PM
I went to my casting shack today to try a mold I have had a long time but have never used.I have a Group buy Lee six cavity which is a 350-225gr for my 348win.I dipped it in the melt a little and poured the first two cavities and both bullets were almost perfect.It didn't take long and the other cavities were dropping nice bullets too.I was water droping some bullets and others not.Then it happened.I was having trouble closing the mold.It took a little bit to figure out that the alignment pin bushings had pulled out and wouldn't let the mold close.After the mold cooled I drove the bushing back into place.I hope that and a little lube on the pins will keep that from happening again.It was fun while it lasted.I got about 100 good bullets some water dropped some not.I wanted to get a good load worked up of deer season.

Hang Fire
07-15-2010, 02:48 AM
Hopefully that will correct the problem

I still mentally kick my butt for ever getting rid of my Model 71 many years ago, that was one slick working lever gun in the hard hitting .348.

MtGun44
07-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Sometimes a bit of staking around the pin or socket is needed. May need to dress the
staking with a small, fine cut file afterwards to make the mold close fully. Lube with
Bull Plate Lube and it is less likely to happen. Use boolit lube or other stuff that burns on and
it will be doing it again.

Bill

leadman
07-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Had the same thing happen to my GB Mak mold. Pat at Lee sent me an oversized pin to install.
I used a small puch and raised some metal in the mold hole then used permanent Loc-tite on the pin, installed just below flush with the mold and peened the mold face. I also peened the mold in the hole at the rear of the pin.

So far it has held. I also removed the burrs on the alignment pin bushings as these were causing the pins to stick in the holes.