PDA

View Full Version : Off topic a little

44man
07-11-2010, 03:11 PM
One of my posts included comments about John Haviland's shotgun slug shooting with a shotgun in Handloader. I loaded a bunch today with his information and it is exactly as bad as I always found. I shot them using a 3X9 scope at 50 yards, beat me a little but I held steady through the pain.
Extreme slug and wad damage with any slug that goes in a shot cup reared it's ugly head again.
My first 3 were pretty good off to the right so I adjusted the scope and then it went to pot as usual.
I walked the range for an hour looking for wads and found the red wads but only petals from the WAA12F114 wads. Wads were destroyed.
If anyone is getting consistent accuracy using slugs in shot cups, please tell me.
I think John is telling tall tales just for an article. Gun comics again! :violin:

HeavyMetal
07-11-2010, 03:45 PM
What choke is in your shotgun?

Limited experience with slugs as a 45-70 will do all that and more ( and better!) than a slug gun but I do realize sme states have shotgun only laws.

I have heard that slugs and any other choke but "cylinder" are usually a no go.

Two barrel guns usually have crossing issues as well to deal with.

Jack Stanley
07-11-2010, 09:53 PM
A very long time ago I was fooling with round ball loads for the twelve and after finding mangled wads and poor accuracy , I changed to a 12S3 wad . My loads got good enough for using down in the swamps and woods but I doubt any gun rag would pay me for the effort ...... it wouldn't highlight their advertisers enough .

Jack

44man
07-12-2010, 10:08 AM
What choke is in your shotgun?

Limited experience with slugs as a 45-70 will do all that and more ( and better!) than a slug gun but I do realize sme states have shotgun only laws.

I have heard that slugs and any other choke but "cylinder" are usually a no go.

Two barrel guns usually have crossing issues as well to deal with.
No choke, rifled barrel. As the slug expands it cuts the thin petals off the shot wads and the base of the wads also shred, ruining any gas seal.
Slugs need a very tough wad or sabot, not a shot cup.
I am going to make harder slugs from water dropped WW's and see what happens but I don't expect much. I have fooled with home made slugs for over 50 years with no luck.
Bore size slugs without plastic work better.
Years ago I could hit targets at 100 yards with a full choke Ithaca 37 pump using WW slugs. Remington or Brenneke stunk and would not stay on paper at 50 yards. I killed many deer in Ohio with WW slugs but never duplicated them with hand loads.
I had a scoped model 12 that I killed 5 running deer in one day at Ravena arsenal using the WW slugs. It was full choke.