PDA

View Full Version : Finally found the right load

AzShooter
07-11-2010, 01:15 PM
I've been playing with an LBT 180 grain mold for the past few months. Veral said that I should be able to get 1 inch groups from it but I haven't had much luck. 1 1/2 to 2 inches at 25 yards from the bench, with iron sights.

I want to mount my Leupold 4X to see what it can really do but I can't get the screw that holds the rear sight on to come loose. I even used a heat gun today for 5 minutes. Ended up giving myself a third degree burn but the screw remains tight.

Well. I changed one thing on the gun. Cylinder throats were .356, same size as the barrel. I had an extra cylinder and reamed it out to .357. That did the trick. Today after the new cylinder broke in I shot my first 1 inch group.

Combination was 4.5 grains of Unique with the bullet seated long, 1.60 inches. I shot them yesterday at 1.5 inches and the best they would do is 4 inches. Funny how little things make such a big difference.

ole 5 hole group
07-11-2010, 02:28 PM
1" groups at 25 yards is a good thing - I agree about the "little things", as just blocking my rear sight will give me 4" groups @ 25 yards.:grin:

Jack Stanley
07-12-2010, 09:52 PM
It's interesting to note that the bullet choice , powder and amount are very similar to what I found works real well in a revolver/carbine setup I have . I don't remember the OAL but I think it's close to what you have .

Try it in your .357 carbine ............ if ya don't have one ya oughta ! :mrgreen:

Jack