PDA

View Full Version : Removing Wheel Weights

pick
07-11-2010, 11:15 AM
I have searched and found nothing on this, and I am not sure if this is the right forum for it.. if not, let me know and I will move it.

I have access to a private junk yard and permission to gather all the wheel weights that I can get my hands on. My question is about removing them from the tire rims. What is the best way to do this ??

Thanks in advance.

Muddy Creek Sam
07-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Go to the auto parts store and get the tool that is used at the tire shop. It has a puller and hammer. They don't cost to much.

Sam :D

Rockydog
07-11-2010, 11:25 AM
http://www.gemplers.com/product/25K/Wheel-Weight-Pliers

Muddy Creek Sam
07-11-2010, 11:28 AM
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Wheel-Weight-Pliers-Xtra-Seal_16910015-P_N2122_T|GRP2107____

Dennis Eugene
07-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Shucks I just borrow the tool from our local gas station, not only cheap but free. Dennis

geargnasher
07-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Bought my ww pliers from Snap-On years ago.

Gear

fredj338
07-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Yep ww pliers are the only way to fly. Also good for removing ww from the cars of local, antigun liberals (kidding, or maybe not).

Boondocker
07-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Cheap way to do it is whack the clip on top off arch with a hammer square against the wheel, it will spread and pick the weight right off. Only takes a second.:smile:

hoosierlogger
07-11-2010, 09:02 PM
You might as well see about getting the lead ends off of the battery cables too.

Rockydog
07-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Cheap way to do it is whack the clip on top off arch with a hammer square against the wheel, it will spread and pick the weight right off. Only takes a second.:smile:

Boondocker, Not to be contrary, but if he's pulling them off of wheels in a junkyard, hammer dings on the wheels might not earn him any brownie points with the owner. Rockydog

Boondocker
07-11-2010, 11:26 PM
It won't hurt the wheel at all unless your using a sledge hammer. Most aluminum wheels have stick on weights. Steel and aluminum wheels are quite resilient to a little hammering. I have been a mechanic over 30 years and it doesn't take a lot of force to bend the clip. Even installing the weight a one last tap with the weight hammer will loosen the weight. That why you find them all over in parking lots and roadsides.:smile:

lostsixgunner
07-12-2010, 06:28 AM
;-)If the tires are off the wheels I just used a set of waterpump pliers. Worked for me.

JeffinNZ
07-12-2010, 06:36 AM
It troubles me that so many of you are so well versed in removing lead from wheels! LOL.

Boondocker
07-12-2010, 08:23 AM
It troubles me that so many of you are so well versed in removing lead from wheels! LOL.

Now this is only on junk cars and wheels, it would never , could never cross my mind to find an alternative source of lead lol. But they do fall off in parking lots tho lol.:kidding:

qajaq59
07-12-2010, 08:59 AM
It troubles me that so many of you are so well versed in removing lead from wheels! LOL. Just don't park near to where they live. LOL

dnepr
07-12-2010, 07:30 PM
;-)If the tires are off the wheels I just used a set of waterpump pliers. Worked for me.

I worked in a shop that didn't bother with the proper wheelweight tool and just used waterpump pliers .

ghh3rd
07-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Imagine how many wheel weights in the average Walmart parking lot :-)

geargnasher
07-13-2010, 02:51 PM
It truly amazes me that some people still know what WATER PUMP PLIERS are and call them by their proper name!

The only reason I know is because I used to have a summer job with a water well/windmill service company and have actually used them to install brass windmill cylinders, a job for which they indeed are the only proper tool.

BTW, the straight-jawed verson isn't much good for anything but mashing fingertips, I don't know who came up with that.

Gear

JeffinNZ
07-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Why does a water pump require attachment of wheel weights? LOL.

chris in va
07-13-2010, 07:13 PM
This is what we'll all be reduced to in a few years when lead is phased out.

dnepr
07-13-2010, 10:04 PM
It truly amazes me that some people still know what WATER PUMP PLIERS are and call them by their proper name!

The only reason I know is because I used to have a summer job with a water well/windmill service company and have actually used them to install brass windmill cylinders, a job for which they indeed are the only proper tool.

BTW, the straight-jawed verson isn't much good for anything but mashing fingertips, I don't know who came up with that.

Gear

I thought the proper term was channel lock pliers and water pump pliers was a slang term

nonferrous
07-13-2010, 10:29 PM
So, PICK,
Now that you got all this inside info and local knowledge, what are you gonna do with them there now WW's?
Don't you know that they are toxic and the EPA is spending big bucks just trying to keep them out of your hands in order to protect you and the rest of us.
Some people just don't appreciate the effort that our Gummint goes to, just to protect us from our own selves.