PDA

View Full Version : SUGGESTION on lubing Lee mold

magmoose
07-11-2010, 09:17 AM
I'm somewhat new to casting and have only used an RCBS mold recently. I bought 2 Lee molds for .38 (WC and SWC tumble lubbers) to try. The instructions say to lube parts of the mold and many FORUM members suggest Bullplate.

I will have to order the Bullplate and wait days for it to arrive, none in this small town... Is there something else that would be ok to lube with??? I have kroil, Rem oil, 2-cycle mix, 3-in-one oil???

Suggestions very appreciated

moose

mooman76
07-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Something that withstands high heat. I have used WD-40 and some I have heard us 2cycle or Kroil. Whatever you use make sure it doesn't get in the avities as it tends to run more after it heats up. That's why I prefer to lube it while hot.

Doby45
07-11-2010, 09:50 AM
I would use the 2-cyl sparingly, just like Bullplate. I used it twice while waiting on mine.

zuke
07-11-2010, 10:35 AM
I just followed the direction's LEE has in every box.
I did that for close to 25 year's till I found out about Bullplate lube last year.

Elkins45
07-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Lee recommends a touch of bullet lube, and that's what I've been using since 1988. Haven't lost a mold to alignment issues yet.

I did lose one to insects, but that's another story!

HeavyMetal
07-11-2010, 05:41 PM
I've used Antisieze with good results!

It will handle any heat you can throw at it, it won't burn and it won't get sticky and it won't leave that nasty brown stain that looks terrible and will never come off!

MtGun44
07-12-2010, 04:15 PM
If you have a chain saw, or a neighbor does, borrow a Qtip wet with the gas-mix lube oil.
Keep in a bit of tinfoil and use sparingly until your Bullplate lube arrives.

Bill

magmoose
07-12-2010, 07:05 PM
thanks for the input. I have some anti-sieze (found at auto parts store) and also have 2-cycle mix oil. maybe will try each on the different molds and see if there is a difference. will order bullplate asap

moose

JIMinPHX
07-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Before I got some Bullplate, my best lube was a mixture of high temperature grease from the auto parts store & Never-Seize 5:1. Just use a little & be prepared to clean it back off again after you're done casting for the day.

geargnasher
07-13-2010, 03:22 PM
I use Bullplate on my steel moulds, but never again on aluminum since I found something FAR better. Use it exactly per the instructions for using Bullplate, don't get it in the cavities, just on the bottom of the sprue plate/top of blocks, pivot screw, and alignment pins/keyways. Wet a q-tip and swab lightly, a little goes a long way. Reapeat every 50 pours for the first two sessions or so, then it won't need it but once a session.

Go to your local auto parts store and get a can of Sprayway "instant spray" industrial mould release spray. The product number is 936, but #945 is similar and works also, here's what it looks like:

http://www.technologylk.com/crl-sprayway-industrial-instant-spray--12-cans-case-lk-SW936-12.htm?src=froogle

Gear