PDA

View Full Version : Picked these up today - Knives

Sprue
07-10-2010, 10:34 PM
I' m really curious about the top two, mainly the long one. It does have Phillipines lightly inscribed.

The top one has a wooded sheath that has a unique locking method. The blade on it may have been replaced as its thin stainless.

Any help appreciated

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/f94ae168.jpg

Sprue
07-11-2010, 09:58 AM
No one has any input on the top two. I thought that we (USA) had a presents over there for quite a long time now. But I guess the Service men didn't have time for artifacts be it relevant via this Post or not. Anyway, Thanks to all Vets , none the less.

I do find it ironic that I didn't even get a single replly over on the Knife Forum, maybe casue I have only one Post over there ??? :p Or simply the Panel is stumped and has flipped over all the cards. ( hum... not what was the name of that Game Show anyway?)

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/d125ed5a.jpg

Rog

Maine1
07-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Both of the top two look philipino to me, likeley made of leaf spring steel and I"d bet are pretty good knives

Base in PI was closed in '91 IIRC.

07-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Well, here's $.02 worth. Some of the hesitation maybe simple manners. To be honest the top one looks like a "tourist" souvenir thing from the 70s-80s. I've seen variations of that type construction all over the place. It could have been made locally in the Phillipines or elsewhere in SE Asia or even India or Pakistan. Used to see that type in all manner of "tribal motif decor" shops here in US.

The next one, while quite a bit more substantial in construction, also looks "touristy" to me. I cannot find anything similar to it in any reference I have for edged weapons of Malaysia, Indonesia or the Phillipines. The closest thing would be a fairly heavy, large punal.... but the hilt form is all wrong. The form of the hilt has an Indo-Persian / Arabic / Islamic influence look to it- similar to a jambiya hilt- but that dagger is not a jambiya or one of its variations... at least that I've ever seen referenced.

TCLouis
07-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Can we see the top one out of the sheath?