PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg scope...?

BruceB
07-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Not being "up" on all the currently-available optics on the market, I have a question.

A few days ago I bought a like-new 580-series Mini-14 for my daughter at a local pawn shop. It came with a "Mossberg" 3-9x scope mounted in the Ruger rings. Although the clarity and general performance appear pretty decent, I have a feeling that this might be a "Walmart-quality" item, and not worth much. It's 'way too large for the Mini anyway, and I'll be mounting a red-dot optic for her use.

So, do I have a sight that might be best mounted on a rimfire, or is it worth using for non-hunting service on centerfires? (I use Leupolds on hunting rifles.)

My apologies, if this is in the wrong forum.

Johnch
07-10-2010, 07:50 PM
I have a feeling that this might be a "Walmart-quality" item, and not worth much

IMO you are correct

From memory the Mossberg scopes were China junk or real close
When I worked at the gun shop
We used to buy the Mossberg 22 rifle & scope combo's cheaper than the 22 by itself

I would put it in the same class as the cheaper Simmons and Tasco scopes

IMO it should be fine on a 22
And maybe on a lower recoil CF

John

MT Gianni
07-10-2010, 07:51 PM
No experience with it but I did find a review. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_3_54/ai_n24232206/

I think it may be a stamped on name rather than a manufactured by Mossberg item.

beemer
07-10-2010, 11:18 PM
I dug out a copy of Old Rifle Scopes and found a section on Mossberg scopes. They produced scopes till the 1960s mostly scopes for the 22 rifle. In 1968 till 1972 they imported scopes from Japan. The Mossberg 80 Series had a 1" tube. The 3X9 was 83/9 and was listed at $37.45. Hope this helps.

Dave

BruceB
07-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Reckon I should 've given more detail.

The 3-9x Mossberg scope in question is NEW, as in unmarked, no dings, no scratches, nothing. Also, it is obviously MODERN, which is demonstrated by its finish (matte black), its style (looks like a current Leupold/Nikon etc etc) and its markings ("Mossberg" inscribed on the eyepiece in black-on-black semi-script, and a large stylized white "M" on the adjustment housing, as well as a silver ring where Leupolds show a gold one). There is no country of manufacture marked, unless it's hidden under the rings. It's a very presentable-looking ultra-modern unit.

Comparing its optics to a Loopy VX-3 of the same power range, I can see a bit of a difference in favor of the Leupold, but not a whole lot. The real question these days, of course, is the durability in field service. The Leupolds are well-proven, and I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about these new Mossbergs. Strangely, I am unable to find any such sights on the Internet (so far).