PDA

View Full Version : Smith and Wesson models...help!!

3006guns
07-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Guys, I've finally scratched enough coin together so I can pursue a dream.......purchase a brand new Smith and Wesson for each of my two boys as Christmas presents.

Okay, I've had a 4" model 65 .357 (stainless) since about 1971 that has followed me everywhere. Since I like the gun I decided to buy a pair. Guess what........it seems S&W no longer makes that model! Or at least I can't find any mention of it on line.

I need some suggestions here......basically still set on stainless, 4" heavy barrel, standard sights, .357 chambering. Can someone more up to date on S&W products give me a clue? Thanks!!!!

HeavyMetal
07-10-2010, 03:51 PM
I'll give ya the best tip of the day: don't buy new! Current guns have the legally required / demanded safety on them as well as lawyer approved triggers.

Buying new simply condones our acceptance of such trash.

What I would do in your place: go to an auction sight like gun broker and punch in S&W model 65 and check out the list of bidable items if any.

The 4 inch 65 was an issue weapon for a lot of deptments they are out there if you look.

3006guns
07-10-2010, 04:11 PM
You're right......I'd forgotten about that. I examined one of their classic series (.45 remake of the 1917) and wanted it so badly it hurt...I've prayed for years that they'd make it again, but that stupid *&$$# keyhole in the frame....

Maybe I'll rethink my options here. A nice pair of .45 auto clones would go over well................

Skrenos
07-10-2010, 04:23 PM
If you could deal with .38 special, JGsales has a good selection of surplussed S&W revolvers. http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/smith-wesson/revolver/cPath/16_211_431

bdutro
07-11-2010, 12:49 AM
There's not a single thing wrong with the new guns. They're tight, accurate, reliable as all get out and fine examples of top notch American design and manufacturing. I really like the old ones too, but there's a TREMENDOUS amount of horsepucky FUD about MIM and the irrelevant lock. Folks are free to make their own decisions but crapping on the new guns because you're a luddite does nothing to encourage gun ownership and shooting sports.

The mountain guns are exactly what you describe.
See review HERE (http://www.gunblast.com/SW-357MtnGun.htm) on a very nice special edition.

HERE (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=178567436#PIC) is a sweet gun that's a little less expensive than the above and it has a forged trigger and hammer if that's your preference. You could find a matching pair of this one too. That'd be a pretty special present for them IMHO.

The special edition 500 my father gave me for graduation is something I'll pass on to my son someday. Good on you for giving a gift that lasts.

wellfedirishman
07-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Ignore the key, don't let it deter you from buying the S&W you want (used or new). There is a slight premium associated with the the pre-lock guns, but the lock ones shoot just as well in my experience (and I have a few of both types that I shoot regularly).

Get what you can find the best deal on.

Piedmont
07-11-2010, 02:32 AM
I'll give ya the best tip of the day: don't buy new! Current guns have the legally required / demanded safety on them as well as lawyer approved triggers.

Buying new simply condones our acceptance of such trash.

What I would do in your place: go to an auction sight like gun broker and punch in S&W model 65 and check out the list of bidable items if any.

The 4 inch 65 was an issue weapon for a lot of deptments they are out there if you look.

I completely agree with everything HeavyMetal wrote. I'm not a luddite, just a dinosaur.

9.3X62AL
07-11-2010, 02:52 AM
While I don't own any of the Glory Hole Smith & Wessons, I might at some point. What I DO own several of are double-action autopistols, which were once described as being "An ingenious solution to a non-existent problem" by COL Jeff Cooper. I share that view, but own the pistols anyway. That's the way I view all the S&W safety/lock foofahrah. The REAL solution is to close a lot of law schools, so these ambulance-chasing vicarious liability pimps would attend a business school, and thereby make a genuine contribution to society instead of being speedbumps on the interstates, to coin a phrase. Of course, I would consider having a sister in a brothel to be a substantial moral upgrade from having a brother in a law firm--but that's only one boolit caster's take on the subject.

AzShooter
07-11-2010, 03:17 AM
Don't worry about the lock, you can always remove it if you want to. I've neve had a problem with mine.

If I were looking for another gun I'd buy a Smith 4 inch 686. Strong gun, heavy enough to handle any load you want and very accurate.

exile
07-11-2010, 05:10 AM
I have two of the new Smith and Wessons, a 686 and a 629 Mountain Gun and I like them. Good for you, I wish my father had done the same for me.

exile

HeavyMetal
07-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Just for grins I went to Gun Broker last night and found 4 model 65's for sale in several price ranges all most likely less than a new Smith based on what I see they want for the current crop of "Classic" revolvers!

Again, if in good condition, I think the older Model 65's would be the way to go.

As far as my opinion of the current S&W line up?

Well it's my money! If any manufacturer wants some of it they should sell me what I want and not what they feel like giving me!

I resent having to buy product that insults my intelligence and refuse to do so if I have other options.

The new S&W guns are, fine as far as I know, but I still have a choice as to where, when, and how I spend my money!

I will exercise that choice, and state my opinion when asked, when ever I wish.

If this makes me a luddite and/or a dinosaur so be it!

theperfessor
07-11-2010, 06:24 PM
I know you said you wanted a S&W but what about a GP100?

BSkerj
07-12-2010, 07:09 AM
I would go with the 686...great gun..even better yet try the 686+..it gives you a extra round.

jgt
07-12-2010, 10:19 AM
When M.L.Thompkins, bought Smith & Wesson, they got in bed with the government on gun control. They also did away with the hammer mounted firing pin and added the lock. I put up with Lear Siegler cheapening them by doing away with pinned barrels and recessed cylinders. BUT taking the firing pin off the hammer and adding the lock was the straw that broke the camel's back. I have not bought a new Smith & Wesson since. These things might be tight, shoot like a house afire, and have a jim dandy plastic box but it is still a sorry rendition of what use to be a gun I loved and I refuse to reward them with my dollars.

MtGun44
07-12-2010, 05:10 PM
I have a 586+ 6" which is a wonderfully accurate pistol.

Claims of new S&W inferiority are mostly from people that don't own any and
know nothing of the technology and real world effects of current design
improvements at S&W. A VERY knowledgeable S&W gunsmith and champion
shooter that I know says that the new ones are the finest quality S&W has ever
made. He has done everything that can be done to a S&W at top grade
and has worked at one of the biggest name national smiths, too.
The lock is not a plus, but is no big deal in my experience. I own a bunch
of new model S&Ws and they are all good guns. MIM produces slightly less
beautiful hammers and triggers that are substantially more consistent in
shape, hardness and quality than the older hammers and triggers. Yes,
they have mold lines, and I hate that, too. But they are BETTER parts.

That said, an old M14 or M15 in good shape is a joy to own and shoot, I have
purchased several for $300, just can't pass up these nice old revos for that
low, knowing they will NEVER be available cheap like that again. Smooth, accurate
revolvers for WAY below new.

Bill

Frosty Boolit
07-12-2010, 07:52 PM
I'll be danged if that silly keyhole on my 686 ever got turned.

longhorn
07-12-2010, 09:40 PM
The internal lock can be dealt with--there's a S&W forum on the internet with explicit directions and diagrams. As has been pointed out, the MIM parts work better than their predecessors, but aren't pretty. Sadly, I consider any new handgun essentially a kit ready for final tuning and finishing--on a Smith, that means disabling the lock, mostly.