PDA

View Full Version : Sticky problem today.

44man
07-10-2010, 01:25 PM
I am sizing .500 JRH brass and of course .500 S&W dies are used. These are not titanium nitride dies and the cases need lubed.
I tried Young Country but it got sticky at the start of case entry. Then I tried Hornady Unique lube, a little better but I stuck a case. Removing it with a stuck case remover almost lifted my bench from the floor and a bunch of stuff fell off the bench.
I cleaned the die and tried STP which was better but still not good.
Then I grabbed a tub of lanolin and problem solved, almost easy now.
Cases glide in and out like butter off a hot knife.

felix
07-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Lanolin can handle pressure better than just about all naturals and polymers. But it will fail after it is heated beyond its molecular limit which is quite low. That is why you seldom see it used in industrial applications. ... felix

Changeling
07-10-2010, 03:05 PM
I am sizing .500 JRH brass and of course .500 S&W dies are used. These are not titanium nitride dies and the cases need lubed.
I tried Young Country but it got sticky at the start of case entry. Then I tried Hornady Unique lube, a little better but I stuck a case. Removing it with a stuck case remover almost lifted my bench from the floor and a bunch of stuff fell off the bench.
I cleaned the die and tried STP which was better but still not good.
Then I grabbed a tub of lanolin and problem solved, almost easy now.
Cases glide in and out like butter off a hot knife.

There was a product that I used to use when I was reforming cases to different calibers, however for the life of me I can't remember the name of it! Hopefully it will come to me.:groner:

Remembered: Imperial sizing die wax, it was unbelievably good but I haven done any of that kind of work for a while, don't even know if it is still made. You could get an Elephant to mate with a ground hog with that stuff!!

44man
07-10-2010, 04:00 PM
There was a product that I used to use when I was reforming cases to different calibers, however for the life of me I can't remember the name of it! Hopefully it will come to me.:groner:

Remembered: Imperial sizing die wax, it was unbelievably good but I haven done any of that kind of work for a while, don't even know if it is still made. You could get an Elephant to mate with a ground hog with that stuff!!
Yes, it is good stuff, I just never sent for any, not having a real use for it. This is the first time I could have used it.
That stuff is the best for forming brass to some wildcat. It would work on these but I don't want to wait for delivery.

crabo
07-10-2010, 08:18 PM
I thought imperial sizing wax was basically lanolin. I could be misinformed. Wouldn't that be a stretch based on internet discussion.

cptinjeff
07-10-2010, 08:50 PM
A touch of bull plate?

44man
07-11-2010, 09:23 AM
A touch of bull plate?
I will try it and get back.

44man
07-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Yes, it works but started to stick half way down so I removed the case and did it again and it sized. It removed from the die easy.
Lanolin is still easier.
Besides, I hoard my BP! :bigsmyl2:

cptinjeff
07-12-2010, 09:10 AM
I hear ya on the hoarding:smile:

It seems to me (and I'm sure you tried it) that the magic of almost all sizing lubes doesn't start till you get to the third case through the die. The first one is sticky...the second one is better...the third one is aaaaaaaaaahhhhh NICE! Anyway. You already have the answer just thought I'd throw that out there for the casual reader. :idea:

jb

44man
07-12-2010, 09:46 AM
I hear ya on the hoarding:smile:

It seems to me (and I'm sure you tried it) that the magic of almost all sizing lubes doesn't start till you get to the third case through the die. The first one is sticky...the second one is better...the third one is aaaaaaaaaahhhhh NICE! Anyway. You already have the answer just thought I'd throw that out there for the casual reader. :idea:

jb
Nope, that did not work, it was about the tenth piece and all were over lubed. It did not go in the die any harder but it would not come out. Look at the base.

cptinjeff
07-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Nope, that did not work, it was about the tenth piece and all were over lubed. It did not go in the die any harder but it would not come out. Look at the base.

ummmm...mental note to self.....never get into a arm wresling contest with 44man[smilie=l:

44man
07-12-2010, 10:13 AM
ummmm...mental note to self.....never get into a arm wresling contest with 44man[smilie=l:
Yeah, good thing I have a Big Max RCBS press. I would have broken a Lee in half. :bigsmyl2:

Lloyd Smale
07-12-2010, 11:30 AM
another fan of lanolin the only thing ive found that is near as good is bullshop spruce plate lube.

BABore
07-12-2010, 12:00 PM
I buy liquid lanolin at the local hippy store for arond $7 for 4 ounces. The best solvent I've found is the Iso-Heet gasoline additive which is 100% isopropal alcohol. 2-3 TBLS of lanolin to 1 bottle of Iso-Heet is about right. I put it up in one of those 2 ounce spray bottles from a womens hair supply place.

70 or 91% isopropal alcohol does not work as well. The lanolin won't stay in solution and has to be shook up before use. It stays put in the 100% stuff. I either wipe the stuff off after sizing or just throw them in the tumbler. A little shot of pure orange oil (hippy store too) will cut off all the case lube as well as the boolit lube.

I have compared this to Hornady One-Shot and Imperial Sizing wax. It's a hands down winner even on HD reforming jobs. Also use it for boolit sizing lube before a trip up a push-through die. Recipe courtesy of 357Maximum.

44man
07-12-2010, 12:29 PM
I buy liquid lanolin at the local hippy store for arond $7 for 4 ounces. The best solvent I've found is the Iso-Heet gasoline additive which is 100% isopropal alcohol. 2-3 TBLS of lanolin to 1 bottle of Iso-Heet is about right. I put it up in one of those 2 ounce spray bottles from a womens hair supply place.

70 or 91% isopropal alcohol does not work as well. The lanolin won't stay in solution and has to be shook up before use. It stays put in the 100% stuff. I either wipe the stuff off after sizing or just throw them in the tumbler. A little shot of pure orange oil (hippy store too) will cut off all the case lube as well as the boolit lube.

I have compared this to Hornady One-Shot and Imperial Sizing wax. It's a hands down winner even on HD reforming jobs. Also use it for boolit sizing lube before a trip up a push-through die. Recipe courtesy of 357Maximum.
I am cheap and since I use lanolin in my Felix lube I bought a 2# jug of anhydrous for $8 if I remember, from, From Nature With Love. I bought a pound of Carnauba wax flakes from Majestic Mountain Sage cheap. They also have lanolin but I think it was $12.
If you want Ballistol, go to Wisemen Trading And Supply.
Going to local stores is a waste of money.
I just smear the lanolin on the cases with my fingers.
It is tough to wipe or wash off and I need to try the orange oil.

454PB
07-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Try Smiling Mink Boot dressing. I used to use Imperial Sizing Die Wax, but the boot dressing is available nearly everywhere, is cheaper, and works even better. It wipes off easily without water or solvent. I use it for swaging jacketed bullets, which is a real test of lubricity.

buck1
07-13-2010, 12:59 AM
I cut my Lanolin 50/50 with caster oil (heat,mix ,cool) .Its not as messy as Pure anhydrous lanolin, but works just as well. FWIW...Buck

44man
07-13-2010, 07:55 AM
I cut my Lanolin 50/50 with caster oil (heat,mix ,cool) .Its not as messy as Pure anhydrous lanolin, but works just as well. FWIW...Buck
Sounds like a good idea and any good oil should work. I have some Safflower oil too, might try it.

MGySgt
07-20-2010, 04:26 PM
The best Store bought is Dillions Case Lube - guess what Lanolin and alcohol - and yes you have to shake it before every use.

Lloyd Smale
07-22-2010, 07:49 AM
i do near the same but im messier yet. I take a dab about as big as a marble and up it in the palm of my hand and smear it all over my hands. then when im running a progessive press i grab a case and a quick rub with the hands and its lubed. with a little techniqe its as fast as just putting a case is the press. I also leave a litte dap on a jar lid by the press and about every 10th round i stick the case neck in it to lube the expander. Ive used all the lubes. Nothing is any better then anyhydrous lanolin. You can buy a big tube for 10 bucks that would last a guy 5 lifetimes if all he did with it is lube cases. Either that or you can buy somthing like imperial or lee which are lanolin based too and pay 5 bucks and shipping for an ounce or two. \
I am cheap and since I use lanolin in my Felix lube I bought a 2# jug of anhydrous for $8 if I remember, from, From Nature With Love. I bought a pound of Carnauba wax flakes from Majestic Mountain Sage cheap. They also have lanolin but I think it was $12.
If you want Ballistol, go to Wisemen Trading And Supply.
Going to local stores is a waste of money.
I just smear the lanolin on the cases with my fingers.
It is tough to wipe or wash off and I need to try the orange oil.

DLCTEX
07-22-2010, 10:47 AM
+1 on lanolin and Bullplate lube. Either works great and a little goes a long way.

Changeling
07-22-2010, 04:09 PM

BABore, That sounds really good, but isn't that approaching something like "Napalm" ? I mean 100% alcohol and a sticky carrier, I sure wouldn't want to be around any "sparks" when you lube, won't even think about some static charges! Please be very careful, that sounds like a really HOT mixture!
We don't want to hear you yelling "GOOD MORNING VIETNAM", not funny sorry, please be careful.

44man
07-23-2010, 08:46 AM
BABore, That sounds really good, but isn't that approaching something like "Napalm" ? I mean 100% alcohol and a sticky carrier, I sure wouldn't want to be around any "sparks" when you lube, won't even think about some static charges! Please be very careful, that sounds like a really HOT mixture!
We don't want to hear you yelling "GOOD MORNING VIETNAM", not funny sorry, please be careful.
Ethyl would be better! [smilie=l: Just inhale the fumes. If you suck it off the brass, the lanolin will soften lips! :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

MGySgt
07-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Ethyl would be better! [smilie=l: Just inhale the fumes. If you suck it off the brass, the lanolin will soften lips! :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Than you want Moon Shine - 100% Grain alcohol!

44man
07-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Than you want Moon Shine - 100% Grain alcohol!
I make mine 100 proof, 50% ethyl. [smilie=1: