PDA

View Full Version : Lee Turret Press- do your primers go everywhere?

Elkins45
07-10-2010, 10:07 AM
I use a Lee turret press for some of my pistol loading and it throws primers everywhere. I have a Pro 1000 (which is based on the same frame) and it captures all the spent primers in the base. Not so with the turret press---some are captured by the base but at least 50% end up in the floor. Do I need to just slow down at the very end of the sizing stroke so the primer pops out more gently or is there some part I'm missing that is supposed to deflect the spent primers downward?

TIA for any advice.

ktw
07-10-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm using the Lee Classic Cast turret. A small section of drinking straw below the shellholder wedges snugly into the spent primer channel and stops the problem.

-ktw

MT Gianni
07-10-2010, 08:23 PM
I have an 87 model alloyed one and it throws spent primers anywhere. A 5 gallon bucket under it and 50% going into the frame "indents" and most are trapped somewhere.

mooman76
07-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Yes they do. I heard about the straw thing and wa going to try it next time I use that press. I fact I was trying to think what I could put in there, I was going to cut styrophome but when I heard about the straw. I though why didn't I think of that.
I improved my challenger press. It was loosing about 1/4 of the primers. I just cut sheet metal to go around the box that holds them so it would have more to catch it. It catches like 98% now.

fryboy
07-10-2010, 10:48 PM
do u have the primer seater in place ?

it's supposed to help deflect them into the frame holes , with the primer arm in place i take a small piece of tape from the right front post to the bolt ,usually use 3/4" masking tape folded almost in half leaving just enough stikki to hold it in there and shaping it in a gentle "w",seems to cut down on the errant ones,the bases i made i modified by drilling a hole in and using it for a drain ,plugged with a ear plug ,when i used c clamps to attach my 2x blocks i often routered out a larger cavity under the press , now i'm using the lee bench blocks so no extra large cavity but still have the drain plug ;) the classic turret is alot nicer about this but they adapted the newer priming system to the older press and no longer list the old priming part that helped deflect about 70 % into the base ,and yes sir if u dont have that ur missing something ,one could get creative with a soda can or a plastic bottle tho and make a lil deflector ( i opted for the temp fix of the tape lolz )

RP
07-10-2010, 11:41 PM
I have a few of the lee turrets presses not the classic. I have notice the ram arm are diff on some of them in the way they eject the primers. On one i use for depriming I cut a strip of alum (can) that fits in the slot cut in the ram. This keeps the primers from coming out that spot. I have noticed on some primer pop out instead of push out they gain enough speed to over shoot the base. I fixed that with some sheilds attached to the rods. I may lose one out of 1000. I do all my depriming with that press so I drilled a hole in the bench and mounted a can on the bottom so i can empty without unmounting the press.

fryboy
07-11-2010, 10:45 AM
ok i stumbled upon the part that is supposed to deflect it ...where ? at midway on clearance ( so if u have the press but not the part it's like a slim chance u mite see one again as lee no longer seems to stock it )

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=117855

MT Gianni
07-11-2010, 05:16 PM
I have primed with that before I updated to a 4 hole with no change in where the primers went.

Le Loup Solitaire
07-11-2010, 11:42 PM
I have an original Lee 3 holer; the 4 holer updated version is no different with regard to where the primers go. If you have the primer arm in.. the spent primers are deflected to either side and if you're lucky they fall into one of the holes on either side that lead to the cavity in the base. If you remove the primer arm then the spent primers supposedly drop straight down the primer arm chute into the base cavity. In not to long a time the base fills up with spent primers and you have the job of taking the press off of the bench to empty the mass of primers. In other words a PITA. I solved the problem by drilling a hole thru the bench top under the base and rigged an empty tin can to hang underneath to catch the overflow. It worked ok, but I wound up getting fed up with the primers that didn't deflect into the holes or go down the chute. I took the resizing-decapping off the turret and did that step on a Lee classic cast press where the primers went down the inside of the ram into a tube. I put the taper crimp die in the turret so never had the need to update to a 4 hole turret arrangement. Continued to prime with the press arm or on the classic cast setup and lived happily ever after. LLS

Cowboy T
07-12-2010, 08:49 PM
I have a couple of Pro 1000's, which use the same press body as the "regular" Lee Turret. Most of my primers actually do make it into the hole, but a few occasionally bounce out.

The Lee *Classic* Turret is a different story, as others have already pointed out. What a great way to get rid of primers. It's the same system that Lee uses on the Classic Cast single-stage. Totally rocks.

dragonrider
07-12-2010, 09:28 PM
I use two Pro 1000's, one collects used primers very well, perhaps 95% or better, the other collects maybe 40%. I cannot see a difference between them, but there must be one.

geargnasher
07-13-2010, 12:43 AM
Pro1000 collects primers like a champ, I'm not sure either of mine have ever spit one on the floor or bench, larger or small. My turret (NOT the classic cast base) abolutely flings them everywhere. I've tried to make several deflectors, but finally just resigned myself to a broom. The REAL aggravation is when it bounces one off of the right rear pillar and it lands just underneath the ratchet housing, causing problems seating the next primer and one time breaking the plastic housing. Gotta watch it like a hawk. I've tried both the old style"double headed" and individual priming arms, no matter.

Gear

zuke
07-14-2010, 07:29 AM
I took a piece of aluminum I have for gas check's and made myself a small wall or dam if you will.
One side goes into the hole in the press on the right hand side, the other side touch's the pillar on the left.
I made it straight and as I deprimed bent it and trimmed it till it work's not half bad.

jimkim
07-14-2010, 03:30 PM
I use an early Eighties Lee Turret press. I simply turned my ram around so the slot was on the back. I made a tray that fits between the two rear pillars. 99.9% of my primers fall in that tray now. I think I've had one miss it in the year since I made it. Now I want to make a tray that fits between the posts and dumps(like a toy dumptruck) the primers out the back.

Moonie
07-15-2010, 10:54 AM
jimkim, now THAT is brilliant. Simple and works, I was thinking about the straw trick for mine however I have the auto prime II so I switch the shell holder alot on this press, the straw wouldn't be very efficient.

agtr05
08-01-2010, 11:18 PM
I had the same problem with my 1980's model Lee turret. I bought the classic cast turret last week. It is wonderful. It does not have the same feel as the old press, but it works better when I load 380's. The spent primers fall into a plastic tube.

onondaga
08-07-2010, 01:52 AM
I'd recommend contacting Lee tech department through their site. My Lee Classic turret has only spit about 6 in the wrong direction out of about 8,000. I am a very slow and meticulous loader, but that may not be the difference that is causing you to spray spent primers. Lee has given me wonderful advise in the past on press setup and sizing die adjustment for cast bullets in .458 Win Mag and zero adjustment of the press. I was embarrassed I didn't understand the instructions for zero adjustment and they were very helpful until I did.

skimmerhead
08-07-2010, 03:23 AM
i got a lee classic 4 hole last year and have not any of the problems you guys described. all primers go down the tube. could this have anything to do with model year? i went on midway and looked at that t bar thing for the primers and have never seen that before. i have the auto prime setup andthe auto disc powder setup, but i keep thinking how do the spent primers fall on the floor. i might have missed something while reading the post. hope you guys figure it out.

skimmerhead :arrow: :veryconfu

Pepe Ray
08-07-2010, 11:36 AM
BIG TIME THANK YOU!!!
Took your idea and ran w/it. Ended up cutting/folding a deflector and a receptacle from Junk Aluminum siding. - -WOW!! it works great.
Of course, those loaders who must prime cases with there press may run into problems, I don't. I always prime with the Lee hand priming tool. The key is reversing the ram. Brilliant!!
Thanks again!!
Pepe Ray

Elkins45
08-11-2010, 09:42 PM
i got a lee classic 4 hole last year and have not any of the problems you guys described. all primers go down the tube. could this have anything to do with model year? i went on midway and looked at that t bar thing for the primers and have never seen that before. i have the auto prime setup andthe auto disc powder setup, but i keep thinking how do the spent primers fall on the floor. i might have missed something while reading the post. hope you guys figure it out.

skimmerhead :arrow: :veryconfu

It's a different design. I solved the problem with a homemade deflector. I may eventually reverse the ram but my deflector seems to be working OK for the moment.

skimmerhead
08-11-2010, 11:03 PM
thanks Elkins i got picture, allways the quest for knowlege.

skimmerhead :?:

AZPaul
08-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Mine use to when I started, then it quit. I use to put a large bowl under it to catch them.

Retro
08-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Or, using the lid off a coffee bottle... http://www.dw.co.za/~wrm/GunSite/PrimerCatcher/

Works well.

ErikT
08-15-2010, 12:34 PM
I've had the same problem with my turret press. Brilliant idea about reversing the ram and building a primer tray; I now have a project for when I get home. I've been getting fed up with chasing spent primers about with a broom. I thought it was just me, but now I've found a support group who all share my pain.....

Erik.

rcbarry
11-21-2010, 11:37 PM
I have the Lee Classic Four Hole Torrent, The primers pass through the holllow ram and into a 5/8th inch clear plastic hose. I used a hose clamp and attached the other end of the hose to a plastic bottle. I have not picked a primer off the floor in the last two years!:bigsmyl2:

prs
11-22-2010, 10:43 PM
ok i stumbled upon the part that is supposed to deflect it ...where ? at midway on clearance ( so if u have the press but not the part it's like a slim chance u mite see one again as lee no longer seems to stock it )

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=117855

Lee still stocks those, but it is not listed on their site. They show an older version with only the small or only the large prime pin. I got a couple from them not too long ago and had to call for them.

prs

prs
11-22-2010, 10:46 PM
I liked the clear tubing trap of the newer Classic Cast so much that I ordered replacement parts and installed them on my Loadmaster (per www.loadmastervideos.com) ; that got rid of the dirt and grime that used to build-up and raise havoc with the primer pin.

prs

Moonie
11-23-2010, 12:30 PM
prs, I am very interested in this mod but can find nothing about it at www.loadmastervideos.com. Do you have a direct link to the instructions for this?