PDA

View Full Version : Gas Checks On Plain Base Boolits?

Milanodan
07-09-2010, 07:41 PM
I think I already know the answer, but I bought a bunch of plain base .30 cal. boolits at a very good price, because they don't have gas checks. This was before I read about how much GCs help at higher velocities. They weigh 115 gr and 165 gr.

I don't own a sizer (yet), but is there any way to put GCs on the base of these non-GC boolits? I plan on shooting them out of a 30/06 Rem 760 carbine w/18.5" barrel.

I do not want to use any kind of fillers-had bad luck in the past with them (my fault).

I could just use the 115 gr. as low speed plinkers, but thought there might be a better way.

longbow
07-09-2010, 08:02 PM
I would say that without a sizer there is no way to put a gas check on a plain base boolit ~ certainly no easy way I know of. Also, you can't use a regular .30 cal gas check. The gas checks designed to fit plain base are just that ~ larger diameter and swaged onto the base of the boolit through a sizer.

You might try wax "soft checks" I believe they are still available or you can make wax sheets yourself. The thin sheet is pressed over the case mouth to punch out a thin disk of wax then the boolit seated over it. The wax helps protect the base of the boolit

Some have used reversed gas checks as well but in a bottleneck case you would have to be sure the check was still in the neck and not fallen into the cartridge so seat shallow. Likely not a problem with the light boolit but might be with the 165 gr.

Good luck.

Longbow

Milanodan
07-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks, Longbow

I guess I'll just shoot them as is, at fairly slow velocities.

Gadzooks Mike
07-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Seems like somebody mentioned something once about supergluing small disks on the bottom of lead bullets. Instead of a cup around the bottom just a disk covering the bottom. I could also be mistaken, so don't take this for a fact.

Anyway, I shoot a lot of those 115gr lead bullets using 9gr of Unique out of my 30-30 and they're a real fun plinker! It's cheap and fun shooting, and they also make pretty good rabbit rounds, too!

Shiloh
07-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Why??

They are plain base boolits.

SHiloh

Maven
07-14-2010, 03:45 PM
All, John Haviland, who writes for "Handloader" magazine, wrote about this several issues ago and found no joy (accuracy) with most attempts to turn a PB CB into a GC'ed CB. However, several here have had great success using PB CB's without GC's, albeit at reduced velocity. Why not hold the fps to 1,500 or less and just load and shoot them?

Wally
07-14-2010, 03:53 PM
I tried a reverse gas check using .30 Caliber Freechex...with my rem 700 .30-06. I used a Lyman 311410 with 13.0 grains of Red Dot....At 100 yards I got some very small groups under 2"... Moving out to 225 yards I was able to "pop" 3.5" wide steel plates most of the time..that's about as proficent as I can shoot.

Did the same proceedure with a Lee .38 Cal 140 SWC bullet in a .357 Magnum...it too was very accurate and just as good, if not better, than when not using a GC.

One needs to size the GC's so they are at the same bullet size--I use the Lee push trough sizer using a wood dowel. It does take some effort to install the reverse GC on straight---some may find it challenging.

maddog2020
07-15-2010, 09:21 AM
I have taken 44 checks and reversed the bullet thru a lee sizer and put checks on 41 mag pb bullets, gotten excellent results. I just pushed the bullet and check with nose down and base /check thru first