PDA

View Full Version : Lube and 50 cal Maxi-Ball Boolit

TCLouis
08-22-2006, 01:18 AM
I am guessing that the factory version of this has lube in the rear groove ONLY, not that GREAT BIG groove up front.

So am I correct?

omgb
08-22-2006, 02:26 AM
The maxi balls I have have one large groove in the rear and it's stuffed with lube. Need a mould? I have a SAECO 4 cavity maxi ball mould I'd like to sell. It's in great shape. $90.00 plus shipping and it's yours. Handles are $25 more. They are like new.

44man
08-22-2006, 01:00 PM
The ones I had a long time ago had lube in both grooves. The stuff would dry out and get hard. The instructions said it would not effect the performance, but it did. I have seen the stuff just crumble out. How can it soften fouling? I bought a mould and used fresh lube. Young Country is the best.

Larry Gibson
08-22-2006, 01:58 PM
I am guessing that the factory version of this has lube in the rear groove ONLY, not that GREAT BIG groove up front.

So am I correct?

The commercial bullets I've seen have lube in both and the directions for this bullet say to fill both completely with lube, Bore Butter 1000 is recommended. I cast them of 1-16 tin/lead alloy as I push them to 1525 fps out of my TC Black Mtn Magnum. Accuracy runs 2-3 MOA at 100 yards for 6 shots (1st load + 5 speed loaders I use when hunting) without cleaning between shots. I use 90 gr (V) of &&& FFG. I use the same lune I use for my 45-70 BP loads which is a 5/4 beeswax/olive oil lube. I fill the bottom groove only as I've shot them both ways, even with BP, and haven't found the extra lube in the top makes any difference. I've had no problems with leading or not enough lube. With 120 gr (V) of Goex Cartridge they run 1464 fps for 3 shots into 2 MOA at 100 yards. A bore wipe is necessary after 3 shots for easy loading but who gets off 3 shots when hunting? I've still got about 4 lbs of Dupont FFF (yes it is old!) that puts 3 shots into less that 2 MOA with 120 gr (V) at 1498 fps. All these loads in the 1400/1500 fps range are very deadly on deer and elk. Would be for bears too. I also use the BOO lube on 250 and 330 gr REALs. The lube will dry out after a year or so but I don't lube the bullets until I intend to use them.

I have tried Bore Butter on the bullets and it does ok but is a lot messier. I do soak precut patches for use with RBs and the precut under bullet felt wads with Bore Butter. I put them in a small baggie with some Bore butter and use the microwave to melt it. The saturate quite well that way.

Larry Gibson

omgb
08-22-2006, 10:36 PM
OK, so I had to go out and check. mine have two lube grooves too. It's been so long since I fired one I had forgotten. I have a special lube only die for my RCBS Lube-A-Matic II that allows me to fill both grooves with lube. I use either SPG or more recently, White Lightning.

TCLouis
08-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Larry G.
I used TC lube yesterday, boittom groove only, I can NOT comprhend using all the lube it will take to fill the upper groove.

Tomorrow I will be back to using DoAll "Tool Saver" which makes a VERY GOOD BP lube.

Limited (VERY LIMITED) testing proves it to be somewhat adequate for smokeless load to some degree also!

I plan to forward one of these or a 54 cal RB at a Colorado elk in a couple of weeks. Dependent on the elks cooperation of course.

Can one say tenderloin or backstrap???

TCLouis
08-30-2006, 09:57 PM
AND BOTH grooves are filled with yellow TC lube. That is WAY overlubed, but sells well two boxes at retail price will buy a mold and handles.

Softer than 1000 and harder (slightly) than Bore Butter which is a liquid right now in the heat.

Gonna melt bees wax and ad olive oil tomorrow to try in CO.
Seems only appropriate to use only the finest EVOO for ELK!