PDA

View Full Version : Savage Sporter 32-20

missionary5155
07-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Good morning [smilie=s:
My hunting Pard snaged a Savage 32-20 for me. Found one for under $300 that has a well maintained origonal bore, origonal sights, not refineshed but has a few extra receiver holes where a previous owner had a receiver sight and maybe a scope on it. The receiver sight holes are a plus to me.
Looks like it should do all the head shots I will need doing to the east central Illinois bean field and hedge row ground hog population.
As popular as the caliber seems I would think someone would produce a couple of hundred and happily reap in the profits. Oh well they would most likely charge more than my groundhog budget will support.
If I could only get it down here to do some load developement.
Mike in Peru [smilie=2:

Marvin S
07-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Congratulation's on the 32-20 it's a great little cartridge, that's why I have four of em. Not near as picky as the 25-20 IMO.

missionary5155
07-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Howdy
This is my second. My old 1873 32-20 is just wore out. Near a smooth bore and the throat area is so fat now I need to ream the chamber neck to get a fat enough boolit to seal the gas.
But it served well for the years I have had it. Now I have something better.
Mike in Peru

Multigunner
07-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Good morning [smilie=s:
My hunting Pard snaged a Savage 32-20 for me. Found one for under $300 that has a well maintained origonal bore, origonal sights, not refineshed but has a few extra receiver holes where a previous owner had a receiver sight and maybe a scope on it. The receiver sight holes are a plus to me.
Looks like it should do all the head shots I will need doing to the east central Illinois bean field and hedge row ground hog population.
As popular as the caliber seems I would think someone would produce a couple of hundred and happily reap in the profits. Oh well they would most likely charge more than my groundhog budget will support.
If I could only get it down here to do some load developement.
Mike in Peru [smilie=2:

My 23B (the .25-20 version) has holes for a receiver sight but these were factory DT'ed to install the optional factory peep sight.
The holes are at the rear of the receiver above the bolt handle and directly on the centerline. These are small diameter and plugged with set screws.

My guess is they expected some owners who'd ordered the barrel mounted open sight might want to retro fit the peep sight at a later date.

PS
This line of Sporters would be a great candidate for a limited reissue, perhaps even add a few pistol calibers while they were at it as companion rifles to the .32 Magnum type handguns.

Marvin S
07-10-2010, 02:35 AM
PS
This line of Sporters would be a great candidate for a limited reissue, perhaps even add a few pistol calibers while they were at it as companion rifles to the .32 Magnum type handguns.[/QUOTE]

100% agree. I think they would sell, just look at the prices of the old ones for what they where. Just don't screw them up like the Favorite with MIM hammers and such.

Wayne Smith
07-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Only ones I know who are cataloging a 32-20 is Uberti now.

missionary5155
07-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Greetings Multigunner
From what the photos of thr savage reveal there are the standard two holes on top of the rear receiver and 2 additional holes that are on the left side of the receiver about in line where the bolt face meets the barrel. Those definitly look home done.
I will figure out a receiver sight to mount using those 2 origonal holes. Most my shots are up close and fast so the receiver sight is a plus.
If anyone has any loading info I would appreciate it as that sure gives a good idea where to start.

Thanks for the info...
Mike in Peru

Four Fingers of Death
07-15-2010, 06:28 AM
I currently have one at the smith's getting an old 4x Bushnell post and crosshair scope because my old Winchester 1892's open sights are getting a bit hard for fine work (it is 1927 vintage from memory). This one looks pretty ordinary on the outside, but has a fine bore. It should be a great cast boolit performer.

Jack Stanley
07-15-2010, 08:43 PM
A load ?? So far my favorite is three point two grains Bullseye and a H&G sixty-seven cast bullet . I forget the primer but the case is W-W , Not fast but groups real well .

Jack

GabbyM
07-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Lyman book shows RX7 as the velocity winner. 15.5 grains under there 115 grain 311008 for 1,405 fps. That would put the hurt on a ground hog. You'd want to keep those rifle powder laods away from a revolver.

I have the 96 grain Magma rnfp-fb and a couple jugs of RX7 here 40 minutes south of CMI.

Four Fingers of Death
07-16-2010, 04:26 AM
I forgot to say, mine was saved from the drop saw. The gunsmith had too many guns and got sick of tripping over rifles and was having a clear out. I bought it for what he could get from the spares (mag, bolt, stock). I can't remember, but it wasn't much. I saw the scope at a shop on another Savage some years ago (it was a 30/30 bolt gun, but the bbl was totally shot). Iasked him how much he wanted for the scope and he pulled it off and gave it to me, said it wasn't worth much and I was a good customer.