PDA

View Full Version : Boolit-friendly 9 mm para seat/crimp die

Stoats
07-09-2010, 03:53 AM
I've got a slightly oversize 9 mm pistol that needs .358" boolits. However, my Lee seat/crimp die insists on sizing my Lyman 356402 back down to closer to .3565”. Results: leading.

are there any off-the-shelf brands that have a more CB-friendly seat or crimp die, or am I going to have to get my existing die butchered?

xr650
07-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Seat a boolit without crimping, then pull the boolit and measure.
If the boolit is undersized then I suspect you need a larger nose on your expanding stem.
If the boolit is not undersized you may have too much crimp.

HeavyMetal
07-10-2010, 12:31 AM
I think I know the problem Stoats is having.

I bought a 45 Colt die set from Lee years ago and no matter what I did it always seated the boolit the same way.

Pulled the seater die apart and found that .452 bolits would not pass into the "neck" area of the die! Thats the area that the boolit is supposed to "float" in while being seated so they seat "straight".

With the seating stem completely removed from the die body the die would still seat boolits to the same OAL!

Called Lee and sent the die back with a sample boolit and it was returned "adjusted" for diameter. It also had a note in it telling me my boolits were to "big" and I might have a "feeding" problem!

So I suspect your die set needs a little TLC my someone that has a clue.

I would consider returning it to Lee with some sample boolits and a note explaining the issue.

Once they know what you want they can get it right!

In your case I suspect both the expander plug is to small and the seater die to tight.

blikseme300
07-10-2010, 10:02 AM
I've got a slightly oversize 9 mm pistol that needs .358" boolits. However, my Lee seat/crimp die insists on sizing my Lyman 356402 back down to closer to .3565”. Results: leading.

are there any off-the-shelf brands that have a more CB-friendly seat or crimp die, or am I going to have to get my existing die butchered?

Stoats,

You don't need to butcher it - you need to enhance it. I had the same problem until I opened up the die a touch. I used a tool grinder and a lathe. I am sure it can be done using a dowl , split open on the end, and some emery cloth. There are posts on how to open a Lee sizer up on the forums here.

All of my 9mm pistols are fed .358 boolits. It took me quite a while to get my 9's not to lead. Correct boolit size and good lube solved this.

I can do the die for you, gratis. PM me, if interested.

Bliksem

http://bliksemseplek.com/boolits.html

Stoats
07-12-2010, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Since writing the 1st post I borrowed a Dillon set and that was far more CB friendly. There was still a touch of leading, but nothing serious and it didn't get worse over 50 shots.

Even so, the portion of the bullet inside the case does still get sized, even if I don't crimp at all. But, by setting the bullet further out and crimping as little as possible I can at least retain the majority of the front driving band at 358.

I think I shall be investing in a Dillon seater and the crimp die, and I shall also probably lap my cavities out so that I can size to 359.

I know that lube quality is not an issue, since I use BAC.

Meanwhile, until I can get all of that sorted, I shall see how it goes with minor leading.

Bliksem: thanks for the offer, but it will probably cost me as much in shipping to get it to you (from the Netherlands) and back that it will probably be better to go with the Dillon set. On a completely unrelated note, you wouldn't be Dutch/of Dutch origin, would you?