PDA

View Full Version : Modifying standard dies for Fatter 30

rvpilot76
08-21-2006, 10:31 PM
I have a set of Lee Collet dies in 303 British that need a MUCH larger stem for sizing the brass to the diameter of my Fatter 30 boolits. Will Lee make me one that will allow me to be kinder to my .316" diameter boolits? I seated one about halfway into the neck and there is a noticable bulge, and I wouldn't think this would be condusive to accuracy. Please steer me in the right direction.

Thanks fellas,

Kevin

Buckshot
08-21-2006, 10:42 PM
............Yes they will. They will also make you a custom collet die too, if you want.

..............Buckshot

rvpilot76
08-22-2006, 02:21 AM
............Yes they will. They will also make you a custom collet die too, if you want.

..............Buckshot

Yeah, for $50; been down that road already. Will they just sell me a oversized mandrel for the collet sizing die? I was going to have them cut me a collet die for my 6.5-25 WSSM, but they wanted three fired cases and a bullet to work with. Kinda hard to load ammo to fireform cases without dies, huh? Apparently Lee hasn't figured out that the chicken comes before the egg :roll: .

Too many toys, not enough time or money,

Kevin

Buckshot
08-23-2006, 01:54 AM
Yeah, for $50; been down that road already. Will they just sell me a oversized mandrel for the collet sizing die?

Kevin

...........Yup, they will.

...............Buckshot

kenjuudo
08-23-2006, 08:46 AM
Buy a few 8mm mandrels to keep on hand, just turn or sand them down. I have a few, PM me your addy and the size ya want I'll get one out to ya in the next day or so.

jim

rvpilot76
08-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Buy a few 8mm mandrels to keep on hand, just turn or sand them down. I have a few, PM me your addy and the size ya want I'll get one out to ya in the next day or so.

jim

Hey thanks, that would be great! If you ever need anything, keep me in mind. I appreciate this!

Regards,

Kevin

cropcirclewalker
08-23-2006, 03:05 PM
Has anybody tried the Lee Universal Case Expanding Die?

If so, how does it work? It's only like 9 or eleven bucks.

rvpilot76
08-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Has anybody tried the Lee Universal Case Expanding Die?

If so, how does it work? It's only like 9 or eleven bucks.

I've got one. The spuds bell the case mouth similar to a straightwall mouth belling die. I just need something to expand the whole neck to a larger diameter.

Kevin

sundog
08-23-2006, 03:39 PM
CCWalker. yes, and so far I like it pretty swell. Dies that are too small in the hole for a plus size boolit to run up to the seater stem, I now run the die down so the boolit does not enter it and run the seater stem down to get the desired oal. With the case mouth flare enough to start at least half the check this works really good. No need to open up seater dies now. The Lee case expander allows you to flare are much as you want. I haven't noticed any runout issues doing this..., yet. The target in the thread 308-165-sil were shot with rounds prepared in this manner. Also, for boolits that have many lubed grooves, it reduces to almost zero the amount of lube gookin' up the seater die. All because the case can be flared enough to seat the boolit straight. sundog