PDA

View Full Version : New boolits won't fit

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Rec'd my new 350gr LBT mold about 3 weeks ago, had a couple casting sessions before the week was out and loaded up the first test round this past Monday Evening.

I knew the throat on this #1-s, 45/70 was very short, but that is kind of an understatement.

The 428gr - RCBS 405 - boolits chamber OK, but with the wider meplat on the LBT, the taper from the base size to the meplat is less which prevents chambering.

I am not surprised, but hoped I would luck out.

Have a date set for a visit to my Gsmith, so a few turns on the throating reamer should solve the situation.

I'm not getting a mad going about the situation, still love the #1s, but do wonder what RUGER was thinking to make the throat so very, VERY!!!!!!! short.

Could be hunting elk as soon as Aug 1st, so have some testing to get done, ASAP.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

wiljen
07-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Get precision (Dave Kiff) to make you a hand reamer for the 45-70 throat. He will do one that will just cut the throat for your bullet. Send him a loaded dummy round and have him cut it.

Frank46
07-08-2010, 11:35 PM
My #1 in 45-70 has no throat. And a slug of the transition from chamber to rifling shows .459 can we say carp mouthed?. Frank

Piedmont
07-09-2010, 02:16 AM
I don't understand. You have a single shot rifle and a straight case. So no worries of not feeding if you seat them deeper and no worries of the bullet base being below the case neck. So why not just seat the bullet deeper in the case rather than reaming your barrel throat?

leftiye
07-09-2010, 02:44 AM
It may be possible to only re cut the leade with a shallower angle without extending the throat (though a lot of 45-70s have no freebore at all). The shallower angle is also more gentle while the boolit is engraving.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Yep, it will be easy does it.

And as per seating deeper, well I am in the test mode time with this rifle and the new boolits, and some of the test loads would not allow for deeper seating!!!!!!!!!!

Meaning, the boolit is already compressing the powder load to the max.

Considering the throat/leade is so short a factory Remington factory round would not chamber, it can do with a touch of opening.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

45r
07-10-2010, 12:42 AM
Firelapp it till the throat is where you want it.

Frank46
07-10-2010, 01:11 AM
Methinks you'd have to firelap a lpt to even try to correct the abrupt leade ruger calls a throat. Mine slugs st the chamber .459 Unfortunately none of my 45 rifle molds will get anywhere near that diameter. Using common sense wisdome and casting a 45 rifle boolit to properly fit that .459 throat means you should have a .461
diameter bullet at the very least. So if you fire lap your gonna need a bigger boolit.Frank

Suo Gan
07-10-2010, 03:21 AM
Have a date set for a visit to my Gsmith, so a few turns on the throating reamer should solve the situation.

Bring your stuff to the shop just like you were going to the range on a load development session sans powder and primers. Fit the boolit to the chamber. Have him stop when it is exactly right. I assume the boolit you are using has a tapered nose (not familiar with it)? Fit it to the forcing cone. Or, have him give the forcing cone a long gradual taper then chamber cast it, send it off to Veral and have him cut a boolit for it. If it is a good smith he will be able to cut the chamber to your specs (boolit length, weight, and configuration). Sell the other one on fleabay? Good luck!

I had a guru burst my bubble a while back about the romance of fitting the rifle to the boolit. That is backwards, but for the some reason most casters ain't right and are harder headed than my Queensland Heeler. fitting the gun to the boolit is mucho no bueno. Been there and done that. I am not saying Ruger is making it any easier on you though. Fit the boolit to the gun! Se! Se! Mucho mas fina!

Got some steel FMJ here if you need em, lol.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Yep, have some loads ready to take with me to the Gsmith.

As to some of the other posts, I would need to seat the boolits waaaaaaaaaaaay
deep to get them to chamber before firelapping, or use the RCBS boolits.

Was out shoot'in yesterday evening, and even with the temps in the 80- 90 degree range and use'in my home brew lube, there is still just a trace of lead up close to the muzzle.

Will soon be try'in some of the LBT "soft blue" lube to see if everything Veral says is true.

But then of course, Veral shoots "bullets" and not BOOLITS. That might make a difference:kidding:

This is even after firing 10 - 15 rounds in a fairly rapid series - 428gr RCBS ahead of 44gr IMR 4198 at 1900+ FPS.

The barrel was hot, but not smok'in hot like an equal number and pace would have caused in my 300win. mag.

Like'in this cast boolit rifle shoot'in more and more!:lovebooli

This RUGER #1 barrel IS baby butt smooth and other then opening up the leade/throat just enough to allow for chambering the 350gr "LFN" LBT boolit I plan to leave well enough alone.

This mold is from a group buy - Bodene - order and Veral of LBT was informed that the throat was VERY short.

However, looking at the cast boolits from this mold, the design is such that the taper from the meplat flows through directly to the bearing surface of the boolit.

There is no shoulder above a crimping groove such as that found on the RCBS 405 (428gr) where the taper from meplat meets the shoulder at less then bore dia.

There is no crimping groove, nor is there any need for one, on this boolit designed and ment to be shot in a single shot rifle.

AS a side light, shot 30 or so rounds yesterday, ranging from a bit over 1400fps to those over 1900fps, and all while having great fun.

Sure glad the higher head position with the scope solved the nasty bite felt while trying to use the factory iron sights.

With the iron sights, rounds in the 1600fps range were to say the least a real PAIN!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot