PDA

View Full Version : 9.5" vs 7.5"

warf73
07-08-2010, 08:35 AM
OK guys I'm finally really close in getting my 480 Ruger. But I ran into a problem.

I have found that the 9.5" guns are cheaper than the 7.5" guns NOW, before they were running the same moneys. But now the market is getting slimmer as Ruger doesn’t make the 480 anymore. The 7.5" guns are pretty much gone, still find a few new ones but are now more money than 2 months ago. The good part is the 9.5's are cheaper now than 2 months ago.

I want all you experts on revolvers tell me why I should or shouldn’t buy the 9.5" gun. As in my other posts about the 480 Ruger it will be used for hunting (carry gun in the woods mostly) and shooting at targets of opportunity.
The gun will be shooting the Lee 400gr cast boolit. Range will be around 100 yards to point blank.

So what do you all think a 7.5" NIB 480 Ruger SBH is around $600ish the 9.5" can be had (a deal in the back ground) $500 ish.

Warf

MT Gianni
07-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Get the 9 1/2" and have the bbl cut back to a usable 6".

Naphtali
07-08-2010, 12:41 PM
OK guys I'm finally really close in getting my 480 Ruger. But I ran into a problem.

I have found that the 9.5" guns are cheaper than the 7.5" guns NOW, before they were running the same moneys. But now the market is getting slimmer as Ruger doesn’t make the 480 anymore. The 7.5" guns are pretty much gone, still find a few new ones but are now more money than 2 months ago. The good part is the 9.5's are cheaper now than 2 months ago.

I want all you experts on revolvers tell me why I should or shouldn’t buy the 9.5" gun. As in my other posts about the 480 Ruger it will be used for hunting (carry gun in the woods mostly) and shooting at targets of opportunity.
The gun will be shooting the Lee 400gr cast boolit. Range will be around 100 yards to point blank.

So what do you all think a 7.5" NIB 480 Ruger SBH is around $600ish the 9.5" can be had (a deal in the back ground) $500 ish.

WarfIf you choose to avoid 7.5-inch barrel in favor of shortening an SRH to six inches, be very careful about this. Bowen, Huntington, and Cogan informed me that some - not all - SRHs have barrels that cannot be easily removed for shortening. Apparently, gunsmiths can identify these barrels by serial number range. Shortening a barrel that remains affixed to receiver is a significantly more difficult job.
What kind of dollar range is your intended purchase price for SRH 480s, excluding and gunsmithing. Are you left-handed, or right-handed?

Angus
07-08-2010, 01:08 PM
I picked my 7.5" up with 8 rounds through it for $450 at the local Gander Mountain. I think it is all kinds of bulk and heavy already, adding another 2" to the length would make it a real chore to tote around.

Lloyd Smale
07-08-2010, 01:53 PM
personaly if im going to tote around a handgun with a barrel longer then 7.5 inch im going to admitt to myself i really need a rifle.

bisleyfan41
07-08-2010, 03:56 PM
I agree with the above except to add that even the 7.5" gun is ALOT of weight for a woods carry gun for targets of opportunity. The SRH is just plain BIG. Now for a scoped, stand-hunting gun.......

Blammer
07-08-2010, 05:14 PM
I'd get the 9.5 and give it a go!

bobthenailer
07-08-2010, 06:26 PM
i have 3 454s in varing barrel lenghts, 6" , 7 1/2 " and 9" a 71/2 " with a ssk muzzel break my favorite is the 6" hands down ! the others just dont balance as well , all are the same accuracy wise and very little velocity loss in the shorter barrel. if i could only have one it would be the 6".
i also have a 5 inch and a 8 3/8 s&w 44 mag my favorite the 5" for the same reasons

9.3X62AL
07-09-2010, 01:55 AM
I have ZERO experience with the Big Boomer wheelguns, but do muck about with less powerful rollerpistoles quite a bit. I think a revolver "sweet spot" for exploiting sight radius and bore length to impart velocity is at the 5"-5.5" length, and still be relatively portable. The majority of my revolvers run from 4" to 6.5", with a real emphasis on 6" lengths. 2 each are in 2"-2.5" and 7.5".

Heaven is a 4" 686 or Python, or a 5" Model 27.

warf73
07-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Get the 9 1/2" and have the bbl cut back to a usable 6".

What kind of money are we talking in shorting up a barrel?

Lloyd Smale personaly if im going to tote around a handgun with a barrel longer then 7.5 inch im going to admitt to myself i really need a rifle.

I'm thinking the same thing Lloyd. I've got a 94 carbine in 45LC that will probly weight the same as a 9.5" Ruger SRH lol

bisleyfan41 I agree with the above except to add that even the 7.5" gun is ALOT of weight for a woods carry gun for targets of opportunity. The SRH is just plain BIG. Now for a scoped, stand-hunting gun.......

My normal woods carry gun is a 4 3/4" 44mag EAA Bounty Hunter. If I had a choice of a custom builit 480 Ruger it would be with a 5~6" barrel.

Thanks guys for all your responces.

Whitworth
07-09-2010, 08:50 AM
If you choose to avoid 7.5-inch barrel in favor of shortening an SRH to six inches, be very careful about this. Bowen, Huntington, and Cogan informed me that some - not all - SRHs have barrels that cannot be easily removed for shortening. Apparently, gunsmiths can identify these barrels by serial number range. Shortening a barrel that remains affixed to receiver is a significantly more difficult job.
What kind of dollar range is your intended purchase price for SRH 480s, excluding and gunsmithing. Are you left-handed, or right-handed?

Actually, Huntington won't descriminate by checking the serial number. The .454 and .480 SRHs have barrels that are difficult to remove because of a glue that was used in the threads. Huntington has done a couple for me and for others I know and while it is a difficult proposition, he can do it and does do it.

I agree, get the 9.5-inch, and have the barrel cut back to a reasonable length that will work for you.

Lloyd Smale
07-09-2010, 07:14 PM
me too pal. 90 percent of my handgun hunting is done with 3, 4, and 4 5/8s inch barreled guns.
What kind of money are we talking in shorting up a barrel?

I'm thinking the same thing Lloyd. I've got a 94 carbine in 45LC that will probly weight the same as a 9.5" Ruger SRH lol

My normal woods carry gun is a 4 3/4" 44mag EAA Bounty Hunter. If I had a choice of a custom builit 480 Ruger it would be with a 5~6" barrel.

Thanks guys for all your responces.