PDA

View Full Version : noe ranch dog copy.

Lloyd Smale
07-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Probably should even post this but it may save someone some time. I casted the hp version out of ww. It went about 240 grain. Only gas checks i had left were lymans and that may be part of the problem as i found some before the target. I shot this bullet out of 3 differnt 44mags using 10 grains of power pistol and 9.8 of unique with both fed and ww primers. Out of all that shooting i didnt even have one group that had 6 shots that stayed on the target! Its got to be the worse results ive ever had with any bullet in any gun! Im not even going to fool with it till i get some hornady or gator checks that will stay on but if i was going to try it again id have to guess that it isnt going to shoot well with light loads. Ive used lymans before and they do sometimes open up groups but maybe by an inch or two at 25 not a foot. I even shot some out of my marlin 44 levergun and it was just as bad. I called my buddy as i had given him about a 100 of them yesterday and he tried it in his 44 special with 7.5 grains of unique and got 2 foot groups! He said it looked like it might be keyholeing too.

Blammer
07-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Wow, that's crazy.

PM incoming.

6pt-sika
07-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Hmmmm I never shot the original RD 432-265 at medium velocities or low for that matter in any of my Marlin rifles . The 432-265 with 23 grains of H-110 did the best for me .

If I had the mold you're using in a 44 MAg I would more then likely start with 23 grains of H-110 and go UP a bit .

I'd like to see how this bullet does pushed hard in a slow twist Micro Groove 444 ;-)

Lloyd Smale
07-07-2010, 04:45 PM
think weve found the problem. Buddy Al pulled some of the gas checks off the bullets i gave him and swapped them out for hornadys and was getting groups around 2 inch. Ive seen those lyman checks falling off effect accuracy but never to that extent. Might be hope for the bullet afterall.

Lloyd Smale
07-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Pretty amazing that just the checks would make that much differnce but i shot three guns today with 19 grains of 2400 and two shot the bullet into an inch at a 25 and one an inch and a quarter. With the solid version it went 1, 1 1/4 and 1 3/8s. With the lyman checks you couldnt even consistantly keep in on the target. Funny thing is that i had a whole coffee can of the group buy 429215 sized with the lyman checks and figured they were going back in the pot and tried them along side ones with the gator checks and accuracy was the same.

Blammer
07-14-2010, 09:51 PM
same as in good or bad with the 429215's?

Lloyd Smale
07-15-2010, 06:31 AM
the 215 is a great shooting bullet and it doesnt seem to matter which check you use
same as in good or bad with the 429215's?

Dale53
07-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Lloyd;
Every time "we" think we have things all figured out, we get thrown a curve. I wouldn't have thought those Lyman checks would cause that much difference. When I was much younger, I did some serious work with cast bullets in my .375 H&H Magnum (Model 70 Winchester). I got very good results to 200 yards (my maximum range at the time) with the Lyman gas checks on their 375449. The checks left the bullets not far from the muzzle (you had to be VERY careful in front of a chronograph) but apparently did so with some consistency. At any rate, I got excellent groups at the time. However, it is obvious that particular lot of Lyman GC's adn bullet combination are not working for you. The crimped on checks seemed to be a much better idea. Now, I believe that even more strongly with your report.

After Hornady checks came on the scene, I switched to Hornady's and never again had the checks leave the bullet base.

FWIW
Dale53

Dave B
07-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Why not shoot some with no GCs at all.

Lloyd Smale
07-26-2010, 02:29 PM
I guess if i wanted a plain based bullet id use a plain based bullet. Ive NEVER seen any gas checked bullet used without a check give any better then minute of beer can accuracy. But then they probably would have shot better then with the lyman checks. No problem now i got 3k of 44 gators from blamer and there on the bullets and accuracy is great with them.
Why not shoot some with no GCs at all.

Dave B
07-26-2010, 07:44 PM
My only point was to shoot a few with no checks to see if it was better than with them. Sounds like the Lymans were duds. Actually minute of "beer can " ain't too bad. If you can hit the end of a beer can every time at 100 yds with iron sights, thats not too bad.