PDA

View Full Version : ever convert a hp to a fp

charger 1
08-21-2006, 06:14 AM
Picked up an old lee 405 457 hp mold with the HP pin attatched to the the mold. I'd like to remove that and add a piece to make it a fp with slightly less weight and bigger frontal area. Anyone ever done such a thing

44man
08-21-2006, 07:47 AM
Never did but it should work just fine.

dragonrider
08-21-2006, 09:33 AM
I did it once year ago with an 8MM two cavity mold in which one cav was hollowpointed, wrecked the mold with too much heat when brazing a pin into the hole where he holow point pin went. That was my first attempt at any type of mold work. Where I to do it again I would simply make a new pin and use it as I would the hollow point pin.

klausg
08-21-2006, 01:20 PM
charger 1-
Buckshot does something very similiar, (when his lathe is up & running), he makes both a HP pin & a FP pin for the same holder. I haven't gotten around to sending my mould off for the HP/FP conversion, so I can't report exactly what he does, but I figure it's very close to what you've got in mind; so your method should work.

-Klaus

Four Fingers of Death
08-21-2006, 06:30 PM
No doubt he will chime in at one stage his work is really excellent. I have a photo of one of his conversions as I intend to get him to do one for me in the future. I will post it if needed, but have dial up so I'll wait and see if anybody else can show you. Mick.

JudgeBAC
08-21-2006, 09:01 PM
I can verify that Buckshot's work is excellent. He made a hollow base pin for a Lyman .410 mold. It works great. He is the resident genius of mold modification.

MT Gianni
08-21-2006, 10:22 PM
For a Lee HP Pin I think you could file or cut the point off even with the meplate and you would have a fp. The other possibility is to drillout the HP and pull it off the arms and replace it with a plug cut even with the meplate. Gianni.