PDA

View Full Version : Uberti 73

joatmon
07-07-2010, 12:35 AM
Any good sites for slicking up a Uberti 73?
Thanks Aaron

Four Fingers of Death
07-07-2010, 06:35 AM
Pioneer Arms. My experience is that I had a 'smith' who is very well thought of in cowboy action shooting here slick up my rifle and it was a disaster (I know a lot of people whjo have had guns done by him without complaints, he must have had an off day when he attacked mine. There are two ways to do it, modify the working parts (how mine was done). Fraught with danger and gradually wears apparently. Popular with the smith as all labour so he gets to keep all of the money. The other way is to use drop in parts which you can remove and restore to standard if you wish. I wish that ine had been done that way.

Harry O
07-07-2010, 08:42 PM
I did not have mine "slicked up", but I did replace some springs. There is a spring that replaces the lever safety spring. That one made it almost impossible to shoot since it took so much force to hold the lever closed. I also replaced the twin springs at the front of the brass cartridge elevator. Smoother and less force needed now. Works great like it is. You can do some searches on the internet to find the springs. A lot of places sell them. I also replaced the front sight blade with one that has a brass ball. Much easier to see than the plain steel bar that it replaced.

I did not put in a "short stroke" kit. I have had two short stroke lever guns (Marlin 56 and Marlin 62) and never did learn to like the short stroke.

Mine has been totally reliable for the last 3 years that I have used it for CAS without any other changes.

joatmon
07-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks guys, I'll try it first when it gets here to see if it's smooth enough. This is coming in new so I expect stiff but you never know?

Four Fingers of Death
07-09-2010, 01:03 AM
I'd be running a few hundred rounds through it before you do anything. When its smoothed up a bit from that, you can decide.

The trouble with short stroking I have found is that with other rifles I occasionally short stroke them and have to double de- clutch to get em going!

Throckmorton
07-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Here's a link to a SASS shooter's ideas of simple tune up stuff.

http://www.davidscottharper.com/shoot/PoorMan.htm

cajun shooter
07-15-2010, 10:32 AM
You live in the area of one of the best in the business. The Cowboy shop by Cody Cohnger.

August
07-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Since you live in West Virginia, Cody Conheger, at the Cowboy Shop, is the guy you want to deal with.

I've got two of his '73s, and they are wonderful.

Two other 'smiths, Will Shootem at Pioneer Gunworks in Oregon, and Jim Finch at Long Hunter Shooting Supply in Texas, do outstanding work.

Any of these three can make a '73 work smooth and consistently.

A lot of guys like the Cowboys and Indian store, but I've seen some very poor work come from their shop and recommend you stick with one of the three gentlemen I've suggested.

Do not try to smooth up the rifle yourself. Do not shoot the rifle in its present form. Rather, get the smithing done first. When you get the rifle back from the smith, it is so different from stock as to be a totally different machine. You'll have to "relearn" the whole rifle shooting part of the game if you use it one way and then change it. Just do it!

The amount of work, and value, you'll get for your money is a pure bargain.