PDA

View Full Version : Citadel officer sized 1911 in 45acp

trickyasafox
07-06-2010, 11:12 PM
traded some toys to get one of the new citadel officer sized gun in brushed nickel. I'll probably get to pick it up some time towards the end of next week. Does anyone have any experience with these? I believe they were previously imported by Charles Daley.

Also, what magazines are you all having luck with in officer sized guns?

While I was in the shop I field stripped the gun and it looked pretty well made. I'd put it on par with my American Classic II.

35remington
07-07-2010, 09:09 PM
No experience with that particular model, but any magazine you use with a shorty 1911 better have some hellacious magazine springs.

The slide outrunning the magazine due to reduced slide travel beyond the magwell makes malfunctions depressingly common with the shorties, especially bolt over base misfeeds.

trickyasafox
07-07-2010, 09:57 PM
thanks for the heads up 35rem!

trickyasafox
07-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Update: over 100 rounds through the gun. Chamber is tight, for me an FCD die fixed any hesitation to chamber the rounds.

Gun has shot and successfully fed:
20 H&G 68 (missouri cast bullets)
20 230gr handloaded golddots (185s were NOT even close to feeding)
20 215 gr RNFP
20 230 gr LRN
8 185 gr winchester silvertips (factory)
15 230gr Winchester white box personal defense (factory)
5 230gr remington factory ball

gun hand cycles (not like this tests much)
230 gr TAP
185 gr silvertips
230 gr El Dorado Starfire (though not that smoothly, surprisingly I would have thought the semi TC design would be easy)
185 gr Golden Sabers
230 gr winchester white box PD

Like I said- the chamber is tight. a number of my chunkier reloads would not drop fully into the barrel with the gun disassembled. I haven't noticed any problems with the mags or with limp wristing, but the gun is still very new.

When I first received the pistol, I disassembled, wiped down, and lubed with grease. I lightly hit some spots which felt a little rough with some fine steel wool.

as far as accuracy, it shoots better than me, but thats not exactly saying much. ringing the NRA sized chicken at 25 yards unsupported, I did 5 out of 8. for me, thats not bad shooting with a small handgun. Frankly, with a full sized 1911 I still only do 6 or 7 out of 8 on a good day. I would say I'm a very mediocre handgunner. I'll try to get some 25 yard groups on paper this week.

Overall- initial impressions are positive. I must say wearing it around, that extra .75 off the barrel from the commander and the slightly shorter grip frame does make appendix carry (my preferred carry style) easier. The extended beavertail digs me on occasion, but no better or worse than my commander.