PDA

View Full Version : Lee Turret jiggle

StanDahl
08-21-2006, 02:11 AM
Is the turret on a Lee turret press supposed to pop up a bit as the shellholder hits the bottom of a die? I sometimes wonder if mine is the only one that does that. It pops up about 25/1000". I would think that this would an effect on the round being loaded. It seems that the turret would get pushed off kilter as it is pushed unevenly from the front, causing it to pivot slightly, putting uneven pressure on a case being sized or bullet being seated. Thanks, Stan

KCSO
08-21-2006, 09:00 AM
Stan
Yes they do move, but it doesn't seem to affect the ammo. I tested ammo from the Lee turret and a Bonnanza Co-Ax and they were so close that there wa salmost no difference. My Lee Classic turret will load 223 ammo that shoots into 1/2" so for the rounds I mostly use it for, 44-40 45 colt 38 special ect, I don't think that it makes any difference.

dragonrider
08-21-2006, 09:19 AM
Yes my Lee turrets also move some but it move the same on every stroke so once adjusted there should be no problem.

VTDW
08-21-2006, 12:46 PM
I had trouble with COL and my Lee Turret Press until I discovered either to very lightly seat the bullet by bottoming out the stroke gently or doing just the reverse and bottoming out very firmly. The trick is to be repeatably consistent. No problems any more.

Hope this helps,

Dave

mooman76
08-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Mine too!

steveb
08-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Mine too!:-D

StanDahl
08-22-2006, 02:28 AM
Cool!

I guess I'll have to blame all of my reloading deficiencies on something else then. Thanks, Stan :-D

Old Jim
08-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Take the turret head out, lightly peen the out side of the top edges of the "locking lugs"that bear on the fixed frame. It's soft aluminum and it's easy to get a nice tight fit. Does this make it load any better? I doubt it, but not having the movement make me feel better.

utk
08-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Take the turret head out, lightly peen the out side of the top edges of the "locking lugs"that bear on the fixed frame. It's soft aluminum and it's easy to get a nice tight fit. Does this make it load any better? I doubt it, but not having the movement make me feel better.

Speaking of soft aluminium - has anybody observed any "bending" of these locking lugs over the years, from heavy resizing.
Will the lugs stand up to rezising of e.g. 30-06 cases or is this a "handgun-only" press?

Urban

Dale53
08-23-2006, 12:27 AM
I have loaded rifle cases with my Lee press with a total lack of wear. This is a really good design. The large size of the turret and its design spreads the load. No single part of the turret has much stress - it is spread over the entire turret.

Dale53