PDA

View Full Version : Decent score over the weekend

Matt_G
07-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Last month I went to a 1000 yard bench rest shoot at Colorado Rifle Club.
Did pit duty to fulfill my work bond obligation.
Anyways, I was talking to one of the shooters there and after hearing I cast my own boolits he mentioned he was a plumber and had been for many years.
Told me he had quite a bit of lead around and would I like to buy some of it?

Well, after a few phone calls over the past couple of weeks, I went down to his house on Saturday and scored the following for $165.00

http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org/downloads/Lead_from_Tom_1.jpg

I got all the pipe etc. melted down Sunday and yesterday.
That came out to 288 pounds of clean ingots.
I still have all the ingots from his plumbers pot to do. You can see quite a few of them in that picture.
Has to be close to 400 pounds worth.
I've tested random samples and all of them are dead soft according to my Cabin Tree tester.
I'm a happy camper, let me tell ya!
I didn't really have anything to mix with my clip on WW's till now.
I'm gonna be a HP casting and testing fool now. :mrgreen:

Sure am glad all that pipe is melted. All of it was from the sewer side of things.
That was the nastiest, foulest smelling stuff this side of hell. :shock:

billyb
07-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Keep all of the joints seperat, they are at least 50% tin. take your propane torch and play it over the joints and the solder will melt off once you get the touch. You will get some of the base metal also but that will not hurt. You have a good supply of tin in there. Bill

Dennis Eugene
07-06-2010, 11:50 PM
shucks I melted all my stick on WW's Monday and came up withjust over 12 pounds. I used half of that imediatly makeing MP-270-SAA hollow points. Well at least I got almost 300 keepers. Nice score by the way. Dennis

Matt_G
07-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Finally finished up all the ingots today.
Grand total is 615 pounds worth of nice clean ingots from Lyman ingot moulds.
There was less in ingots from his plumbers pot than I thought. Oh well, that's the breaks. ;-)

Still not a bad deal. $165.00 for the lead plus $15.00 for propane and $5.00 for the gas to go down to his house puts me at 30 cents a pound for this soft lead.
I'm happy.

SciFiJim
07-11-2010, 07:45 PM
All of it was from the sewer side of things.
That was the nastiest, foulest smelling stuff this side of hell.

Those smells are convince people that you are working magic and can make a gun do something that no one else can (namely shoot cheaply AND accurately).

canyon-ghost
07-11-2010, 08:46 PM
At local prices, 615#@ .40/lb = $246.00 I say you did good!