PDA

View Full Version : pictures won't load to castpics

Marvin S
07-06-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm trying to put a picture on castpics but it keeps saying it has failed and wont go. I notice that my amount of pictures in the red/green bar above is almost full. Could this be the reason? I dont see how to delete any of the old ones to make room if that is the problem. Thanks for any help.:killingpc

Marvin S
07-07-2010, 07:13 AM
I figgured out how to delete pics to make room but thats not the problem, it still says upload failed.

357maximum
07-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Most of the time these issues are related to the overall "size" of the pic being too large.

MtGun44
07-07-2010, 06:30 PM
IIRC individual pix must be under 100K.

You need to reduce the size to about 800x600 or similar to fit into this limit. These
still look OK on the screen, altho if you download and print they will not be so good.

Copy your file to a new name before you down size it! You do not want to
permanently reduce the resolution of the original picture!!!

Bill

Marvin S
07-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks guys, I guess im not smart enought to do it. I never had this problem before.

MtGun44
07-08-2010, 07:00 PM
You need image processing software to do this. If the original pic is from a camera it will
have some dimension like 3200x2500 pixels or similar, and a file size of maybe 1125 kbytes
or even twice or three times that with newer cameras.

If you open this picture in a photo tool with this capability you can 'resize' the image and
SAVE TO A DIFFERENT FILE NAME!!!! Do not reduce the size of your original picture file
by just saving - this would be IRREVERSIBLE. If you ever want to print a nice 8x10 image
from that file it will look very fuzzy if you do this by accident.

I find with most images going to 600x800 (or 800x 600 if turned 90 deg) will get the file
size under 100 kbytes (kilbytes or 1000 bytes, a measure of storage space required). The
big file will print out a nice sharp picture, but the smaller file will still look pretty good on the
crappy resolution that all screens have. The site needs to conserve storage space, so that is
why the limit. All .jpg images are compressed and the actual image details control how much
compression is possible so it is not possible to accurately predict the actual file size based on the number
of pixels.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Marvin S
07-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks MtGun44, where does one get this software? I did finally get it to go but don't really know why it did. Maybe it just got tired of me trying and I wore it down.

MtGun44
07-10-2010, 08:00 PM
I think there may be some old freeware versions of Lview out there somewhere on
the web. Some e-mail clients can do this if you try to mail pix, but I am not directly
familiar with which ones. Certainly Photoshop and similar will do it, but I haven't used
them in years.

Spend some time with a search engine. Stay off of Google as they are VERY antigun.