PDA

View Full Version : MP 359-125 mould

Charlie Two Tracks
07-06-2010, 05:49 PM
I just got this mould in the mail from Miha. It looks like a work of art. Very pleased. I do have some questions though. What type of handles go on this, is there any special break-in for the mould, what do you want to lube and with what, are the hollow point pins supposed to move out easily? I did a search for MP 359-125 and did not find anything. thanks

Muddy Creek Sam
07-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Charlie,

Here is their website http://www.mp-molds.com/index.php?pr=Molds it says theirs or lee 6 banger handles.

Sam :D

Piedmont
07-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Anybody know if RCBS handles will work on Mihec molds?

Muddy Creek Sam
07-06-2010, 06:30 PM
What type of handles do I need for your molds?
Molds are designed for use with Mp Mold handles or LEE 6 cavity handles. There are also other brands that will fit.
Slot on the mold is 8,2 mm wide and 9,8 mm deep. Screw diameter is 4,2 mm.

Charlie Two Tracks
07-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Thanks Sam. I didn't know they had a site.

Muddy Creek Sam
07-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Took me a while to find it.

Sam :D

Charlie Two Tracks
07-07-2010, 06:15 PM
I can't seem to find out what to do with the new mould. I tried email and the site but no luck so far. What do I lube up or what do I have to do with this new mould before I use it. I don't want to mess it up.

Edubya
07-07-2010, 08:08 PM
I have three of Miha's moulds. I love them. The first one, I cleaned and then cleaned some more, assembled, heated it up then tried to get some perfect boolits cast. It took me quite a while because I didn't want to turn the temp up higher. I ended up casting those at 825 degrees before they started dropping cleanly. The next one, I simply cleaned, assembled and put a drop of his provided lube on the sprue plate heated up the mould on the hotplate while the alloy was coming up to temp and started casting. The third was just a little different: I assembled, heated, lubed the sprue plate and alignment pins started casting.

Once you get the hang of it you will not want to put the thing down! It casts as beautiful as it looks.

EW

P.S. Use a Q-tip to keep the lube to a minimal and you may have to touch the spud pins with the lube to get it to dopping the boolits off until you get them really heated up.

Charlie Two Tracks
07-07-2010, 09:21 PM
I didn't get any lube. Darn

Edubya
07-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Charlie, when do you plan to cast with this piece of art? I'm sure that you can find some hi-temp lubricant, somewhere and get it started... even 2-stroke oil will do. Times a wasting, get it in gear soldier.

(I was at Tuy Hoa, VN Sep '69-Sep '70)

EW

Charlie Two Tracks
07-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Edubya, so you just lube the main bolt and that is it? I have to get some handles cause I forgot the his moulds don't come with them.
Stationed just outside of Cam Rahn Bay. Sept 9th 70 thru Sept 10th 71. We probably passed eachother.

Edubya
07-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Charlie, You will want to apply a touch of lube to the underneath side of the sprue plate, the alignment pins, the HP guide rods and the main bolt.
I don't know if you have used steel moulds or not but I have found that with MPs brass moulds you keep the main bolt a little tighter and heat the moulds and pins up to casting tempt. I can run these as fast, or faster, than any of my RCBS, H&G or SAECO moulds. Once it is really up to temps, I hand cut the sprue, flip it over open and push the HPs out and the boolits falls.

Yep, you guys were suppressing the ground fire as we approached the landing field in Cam Rahn Bay. Thanks.

EW

Buckshot
07-12-2010, 01:55 AM
...................For boolit mould lube you want Bullplate lube: http://bullshop.gunloads.com/index.html

....................Buckshot

MtGun44
07-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Scrub a new mold with an old toothbrush and get it good and clean. I use Comet on
Lee molds, partially to help remove any tiny burrs (some are not so tiny on the Lees).
It will not hurt and will clean it well, but you may not want the slight matte finish that you
get with this cleaning method. Don't fool with the smoking, it doesn't seem to do
anything to my aluminum molds except make them look nasty.

+1 for the Bull Plate Lube. Also Lee handles are decent handles, and what the Miha Products
molds are designed to use.

Good luck, these are very well made molds and Miha stands behind his work.

Bill

101VooDoo
07-15-2010, 03:58 PM
I didn't get any lube. Darn

Charlie, I just received one of Miha's molds this week myself and thought I didn't get the lube either.

When I pulled out the papers to the check on the news in Slovenia, I found the bottle. It was seperate from the mold and the bag of parts. Little white eye-drop looking bottle.

Jim