PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic: Water your animals and wildlife as well.

Changeling
07-06-2010, 05:21 PM
I don't know what it is like where you guys live, but here in Maryland it is hotter than I have ever seen in my life. I have a big thermometer on my deck an it was buried on 120 deg at 10:30 this morning!!!
Now some of that might be from the sun shining on it, but not a lot. I have it under the railing.

This after noon I went up to the local grocery and people are driving like total NUTS, tempers are running very high, if you haven't noticed you must be one of them!

Anyway, PLEASE make sure your animals have plenty of water, preferably "SHADED" as best you can, it makes a lot of difference in it's temperature as I am sure you know.

Also it sure won't hurt you to put out a couple buckets and maybe a low container around your house, don't worry the animals will smell the water at night and go straight for it!!!
Birds are really starting to hurt (they can't sweat) they really need the water. I have a 5 gallon bucket I put on the deck this morning (shaded) and they are constantly sitting on the rim drinking.

This won't take you long so please just do it!:sad:

Bret4207
07-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Darn good advice. I worked till about 4PM, couldn't take any longer. We put away one load of hay and it about killed me! Got the idler replaced in my haybine and tried changing a tire on the hay wagon. That did me in. We've watered the stock twice already and we'll hit them again after supper at chore time. I feel bad for my drafters since they refuse to stand in the shade, their choice I guess.

waksupi
07-06-2010, 06:50 PM
If you have a water tank, or are using a bucket, put a stick in it long enough to hang out the edge for the birds to sit on, and assist squirrels and such get out. I had five squirrels drowned in my quench barrel a few years back from not having a ladder for them.

Dennis Eugene
07-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Shucks we're drowning up here, stick or no stick. Dennis

Changeling
07-07-2010, 03:08 PM
The stick was a great idea, never thought of it. I had a 3 gallon mop bucket (completely clean) outside the door where my computer is at onto the deck, filled to the brim. This morning there was about a gallon left.

scrapcan
07-07-2010, 03:18 PM
well if it is any consolation it is 54 degrees with a predicted high of 56 today in Cheyenne, WY. And it is misting/raining. We had summer a few days ago

ghh3rd
07-07-2010, 05:41 PM
We had summer a few days
I've heard that summer is sort of a short season up there. It lasts most of the year here in Tampa.

Freightman
07-07-2010, 05:49 PM
I have several large lids 2' across filled with water for the Tarapins (turtles) around my house and several bird watering stations.

Changeling
07-07-2010, 06:44 PM
well if it is any consolation it is 54 degrees with a predicted high of 56 today in Cheyenne, WY. And it is misting/raining. We had summer a few days ago

manleyit+ Thats funny, it's unbelievable how things can change through out the country. I have never seen it this hot where I live.

cptinjeff
07-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Any kind of standing water here and your inviting a swarm of skeeters[smilie=1:

Bret4207
07-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Local weather guy at a college says this is a classic "Bermuda High". The newsies keep saying its the end of the world, global warming, etc. Seems like a typical summer to me.

BTW- thew heat index was 105 the other day. Wednesday was better. Today already feels worse.