PDA

View Full Version : What are these ?

shooterg
07-06-2010, 01:35 PM
I think maybe parts of a shotgun loading kit ? From an old friend's estate, like to know what they are and make a few bucks for the wife. Handles look like old Ideal stuff to me, but no markings anywhere.

fourarmed
07-06-2010, 02:27 PM
The plier-like tool is a primer seater. I am not familiar with the other tools.

GP100man
07-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Parts are missin ,but I think it`s reloadin tools for paper shells ????

That`s my guess & I`m stikin to it !!

Pressman
07-06-2010, 05:10 PM
They are Lyman/Ideal shotshell loading tools from the late 1950's. I am not a shotgun man so tht is about as much as I know about them.
From a curiosity point of view they are great, I would like to get a complete set, because they are SO different.
Ken

Bent Ramrod
07-06-2010, 06:14 PM
They are components to the old Lyman "Straightline" shotshell reloading set. You have the re-and-decapper and the lever and base for the crimper. The full set would have a drive-in-and-out die to resize the paper shells, a die and hand plunger for stuffing in wads,and maybe (as an extra) a crank powered miniature lathe to roll the end of the paper shells over the overshot card. It looks like you have an aftermarket recapper (the tongs) and I would guess that the circular piece is the roller for the roller. Does it have a circular groove on the other side with four ratchets on it?

The setup and its use is described in the Lyman Handbook #38.

shooterg
07-06-2010, 06:48 PM
The missing pieces were probably there, we just didn't know what we were looking at. Don't have Lyman #38 so still don't know ! If anyone could scan pics from a copy, I might can find some missing parts. No reasonable offer will be refused !

shooterg
07-09-2010, 03:35 PM
From Bent Ramrod's description, these may be some ? of the missing pieces. Can anyone scan/copy the instructions from Lyman Handbook 38 ? I still don't see how the gizmos work.

Bent Ramrod
07-09-2010, 04:19 PM
In the back are, Left to Right: The straightline crimper, the shell crimper holder and the wad loader die. The shell was driven into and out of a resizer die with a mallet and wood dowel. The old cap was pushed out with the lever tool in your first picture with the decapping pin installed. The shell was reversed in the tool and recapped. A charged shell (do you have the powder and shot scoop?) was put in the wad loader die, which should have guide fingers for the wads. The plunger guide (in the foreground) is put on the wad loader die and the whole assembly on the flanged base. The plunger with the black knob is then used to push the wads down. After shot and a card wad are added, there should be 1/2" of shell left to turn down. The spring loaded thing in your second picture is the hand version of the Straightline Crimper. the loaded shell is held in the shell crimper holder and the crimper put on top. Your plain lever press should be the one to push the crimper down over the shell, which should turn over the paper and hold the overshot wad in place.

I hope this isn't too confusing. What happened to the pictures? i used to be able to refer to them on the list while I was replying, now they're gone and only the text remains.

shooterg
07-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Here is the whole shebang ! Lot of help figuring this one out !