PDA

View Full Version : Gas Checks hobby/small buisness.

Colt .45
07-06-2010, 02:19 AM
Well I bought myself a .30 cal freechex and almost payed for it, the arbor press and the aluminum in a week's worth of selling the darn things( with a good number of hours sitting in the garage stamping..). That got me to thinking about making a small bit of extra money on the side by stamping checks out for those who do not have GC makers, Yes I know I could be in the wrong forums right now:-D.
I am still waiting on feedback from the sale, however Googling around does not bring up any real bad feedback over the freechex Checks.

All pricing would be set close to or matching the price of Gators, however with all shipping / PP fees included like my recent July 1 - 4 sale (Because who likes 8$ worth of shipping for a 19$ product?).

Given this ball park field pricing, and the list of poll calibers ( feel free to say ones not listed) vote for calibers you would be interested in buying, note for the time being this is all made from .010 Aluminum.

Any other thoughts and criticisms welcome.

( I am still currently looking for a local source of sheet copper priced fairly enough to make copper checks viable)

-- Link to current GC Sale in .44 .30 and .22 --

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=948614#post948614

GabbyM
07-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Would there be any export issues from Canada to USA? I'm assuming checks would be classified as a bullet. Don't want to rain on your parade but governments can make it hard to make a dime.

Colt .45
07-06-2010, 12:40 PM
I'd doubt it, If you can ship brass over the border you can ship stamped peices of aluminum. Of course if there is a problem them I could be in trouble as I just finished mailing >10K GC's to the USA.

I have been labeling all GC's sold as 'Aluminum Stamped Products'.

blaser.306
07-06-2010, 02:21 PM
sorry to "rain" on your parade but you cannot ship brass across the border ! My life would be much simpler if that was the case . I also live in Canuckistan!!

Blammer
07-06-2010, 05:02 PM
hmm, I better stop sending them Brass disks to Canada then. :) Have to call them something else. :)

call them alum disks and you should have no problem with the shipping.

JeffinNZ
07-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Rivet components is better.

Hell, I am the man who ships beer from NZ to Alaska delcared at "malt, barley extract". Get's there EVERY time.

Colt .45
07-06-2010, 07:12 PM
sorry to "rain" on your parade but you cannot ship brass across the border ! My life would be much simpler if that was the case . I also live in Canuckistan!!

azshtr shipped me 9mm brass. i called CBSA and they said it was fine to ship it over the border. azshtr also called the border services in his state and they also said it was fine, there are SOME states that don't let commercial buisness ship to canada ( IDAHO).

Even primed brass can be shipped over the border according to CBSA.

blaser.306
07-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Good to hear , perhaps I was miss informed !

Colt .45
07-07-2010, 12:12 AM
ok well due to monetary constraints it looks like I will only be able to buy the dies about two at a time and many of these will have to be custom made. ( Its looking like I will be getting .44 mag and .458 rifle next)

edsmith
07-07-2010, 01:38 AM
buy yourself a small lathe, and make your own check makers, it would more than pay for its self. I can make a freechex lll type check maker in about 2 hours on my mini-lathe.

thx997303
07-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Then how bout makin me a 45 rifle one? :-)

Colt .45
07-07-2010, 12:18 PM
buy yourself a small lathe, and make your own check makers, it would more than pay for its self. I can make a freechex lll type check maker in about 2 hours on my mini-lathe.

What about hardening costs for the metal after it as been turned to spec?

I ask because a local store has a mini lathe marked down from 999 to 599 for the week...

edsmith
07-07-2010, 07:23 PM
use water hardening steel,heat with a torch,it don't take much with such small chuncks of steel

jmsj
07-07-2010, 08:16 PM
edsmith,
what about using cold roll (1018) and case hardening with kasenite?

Colt .45
07-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Ok well thanks to all those who voted .22 and .44. They are currently making their way to my house [smilie=w: . For those who voted .45, yes it is a superior caliber... :mrgreen: .. which is why there were no dies available :cry:

edsmith
07-08-2010, 02:56 PM
jsmj , kasenite should work , I make my check makers out of 1018 and I don't harden them, so far they work just fine. I have punched over 2 thousand .357s and it is still working just fine. if you were to punch a lot, it would be best to harden the maker.

Colt .45
07-08-2010, 03:47 PM
I will look into the process on future GC makers, and I would definitely need it hardened. my month old .30 cal freechex has already plugged over 20,000 checks...

highscore
07-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Use oil hardening material. Same process sort of , heat it up until it turns red and throw it into the oil. Do a search for suitable oil. Water hardening material may warp too much and then there's the cracking issue!

mrbill2
07-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Hardened steel alone becomes brittle and will brake or chip if not tempered after the hardening process. Do a Google search on steel tempering to learn more. Here is just one result of the search I found. http://www.technologystudent.com/equip1/heat1.htm

Colt .45
07-11-2010, 05:25 PM
seems like the next peices im going to go for will be .35, .45 (pistol and rifle, or a universal), and .32 (8mm). The 8mm because I just got an 8mm mauser.

zuke
07-14-2010, 07:31 AM
Could you send me a P.M. when you get into making 45 check's?

Colt .45
07-14-2010, 12:09 PM
zuke, If i remember then I will do that. I plan on grabbing the next .45 freechex that comes up on ebay, but I want to get the .44 and .22 up and running first.

Were you looking for .45 pistol, .45 rifle, or .45 universal?

zuke
07-15-2010, 03:52 PM
.45 rifle, for my Marlin 1895.
I didn't realize there was a difference in check size's,I use a LEE tumble lube design for my.45 winmag.

Colt .45
07-15-2010, 11:04 PM
ok, well .45 is next on my list, however the only die semi readily available is a .45 universal which i believe is .454 as opposed to .452 pistol or .458 rifle.

Colt .45
07-17-2010, 12:58 AM
to all of those who voted for .44 and .22 they arrived. Will be making lots of stock tomorrow. ( Sadly currently still only in .010- .011 alum)

To everyone who has voted so far if you read this can you please say which of the following three metals you would buy gas checks in (or all). Also if you could rate them in order or which you would like best to least.

Aluminum , Brass , Copper.

hoosierlogger
07-17-2010, 07:11 AM
to all of those who voted for .44 and .22 they arrived. Will be making lots of stock tomorrow.

which of the following three metals you would buy gas checks in (or all).

Aluminum , Brass , Copper.

Ha HA Colt .45 I told you I knew you had posted the lead time some where. I read the PM's before I read the forums. :-P

I would guess you will sell mostly what is the cheapest.

Colt .45
07-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Not necessarily, some people fret about aluminum filings or fouling in their barrel and think it will be much worse then copper fouling. Its a 'to each their own' situation where I might be best off getting some of the more popular metals...

Colt .45
07-20-2010, 10:02 PM
-- removed by user --

pistolman44
07-28-2010, 05:47 PM
I would interested in 44 if they were made out of copper.

Colt .45
07-29-2010, 01:38 AM
I would interested in 44 if they were made out of copper.

I am still trying to source copper, I have access to .021" copper, however it is soft and apparently soft copper craps up the dies.

hk33ka1
08-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Glad to see a Canadian Check maker, if we can just get you swaging bullets now.

On the topic of cross border shipping, US rules in the last few years have changed and with few exceptions you cannot export (shipping or in person) guns, gun parts, ammo and ammo parts (primers, bullets, brass) and various other goodies like certain body armor, scopes, night vision without a US export permit from the US Dept of State.

Many people do this still like they have for years, they just have not been stopped by US officials while leaving, and yes they do check you on the way out sometimes. Some people have been caught and charged going to Canada and Mexico with ammo.

If your stuff gets to Canada then you deal with CBSA (Canada Customs) who will let this stuff in if you are allowed to have it, but the key is it isnt supposed to leave the US in the first place without permits. If you get caught by the US driving out with it, or as the shipper sending it you can be in some big trouble. In Canada some of this is explained on the RCMPs website as a warning, and some of it is on the ATFs site in the US, likely also the Dept of State. There are companies that specialize in these exports from the US as it likely is not worth it for a person to get a permit just to buy a part or bag of brass. Certain gun parts made and sold by certain companies can be exported (only buy said company) when the order is under $100 US. Brownells for example could sell a Canadian a $40 spring for example and mail it without a permit. But you couldnt legally drive out of the US with it yourself.
One of the other exemptions is when you are hunting or at a sanctioned shooting event with licenses you can take the guns and leftover ammo you brough back home to Canada or where ever.

Most Americans don't know about this because they don't usually export their guns and ammo, and most Canadians that shop US don't exactly declare to US Customs that they are shopping for gun stuff on the way in, and don't talk to US Customs on the way out.

Also it seems the US will not allow 5.56, 7.62 chambered guns or ammo be exported for civilian use, and I believe same with .50BMG. We still get lots of US 308 or 223 guns and ammo just fine though.

zuke
08-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Glad to see a Canadian Check maker, if we can just get you swaging bullets now.

On the topic of cross border shipping, US rules in the last few years have changed and with few exceptions you cannot export (shipping or in person) guns, gun parts, ammo and ammo parts (primers, bullets, brass) and various other goodies like certain body armor, scopes, night vision without a US export permit from the US Dept of State.

Many people do this still like they have for years, they just have not been stopped by US officials while leaving, and yes they do check you on the way out sometimes. Some people have been caught and charged going to Canada and Mexico with ammo.

If your stuff gets to Canada then you deal with CBSA (Canada Customs) who will let this stuff in if you are allowed to have it, but the key is it isnt supposed to leave the US in the first place without permits. If you get caught by the US driving out with it, or as the shipper sending it you can be in some big trouble. In Canada some of this is explained on the RCMPs website as a warning, and some of it is on the ATFs site in the US, likely also the Dept of State. There are companies that specialize in these exports from the US as it likely is not worth it for a person to get a permit just to buy a part or bag of brass. Certain gun parts made and sold by certain companies can be exported (only buy said company) when the order is under $100 US. Brownells for example could sell a Canadian a $40 spring for example and mail it without a permit. But you couldnt legally drive out of the US with it yourself.
One of the other exemptions is when you are hunting or at a sanctioned shooting event with licenses you can take the guns and leftover ammo you brough back home to Canada or where ever.

Most Americans don't know about this because they don't usually export their guns and ammo, and most Canadians that shop US don't exactly declare to US Customs that they are shopping for gun stuff on the way in, and don't talk to US Customs on the way out.

Also it seems the US will not allow 5.56, 7.62 chambered guns or ammo be exported for civilian use, and I believe same with .50BMG. We still get lots of US 308 or 223 guns and ammo just fine though.

:coffeecom

Colt .45
08-07-2010, 12:52 PM
hk33ka1.

Good read. I'll do the bullet swaging if I ever get around to making enough money on the gas checks. (right now gas checks are on hold till i can get thicker metals, .010" seems to have balls for accuracy in .30 cal).

I actually did exactly what you said there. Went down to grand forks and came back with over 2000 rnds of .22, and a few hundred of other stuff, plus 7 lbs of powder. The guy at the canadian border side says " you know its illegal to purchase ammo in the states if your not a US Citizen" , " uhh no, I guess that's the last time I will be doing that.."

hk33ka1
08-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Another Canadian member PM'ed me about this post and was upset that I spilled the beans on the current US exporting issues, but it is only fair that people have a heads up and get a chance to look into the legalities of their actions a little more. People are free to do as they wish. I didn't write the law nor do I enforce or agree with it, however I don't want to see anyone fined or charged because they didn't know any better.

zuke
08-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Can I ask why the need for a thicker material?
I you had a thicker/wider shaft on the cupping die and opened up the forming die wouldn't that accomplish the same thing?

Colt .45
08-08-2010, 12:59 PM
People have posted accuracy results with thicker materials ( .014 vs .010) and It's usually better ( for .30 cal ). Also for larger calibers, or fat .30's the space you are trying to seal mandates a thicker check.

IE a .44 shank is .397, if you size to .430 then you have .033 to fill with gas check. Meaning your material should be .033/2 = .0165 ( how handy that amerimax has .0167)

for a fat .30, if your shank is about .285 and you want to size to your worn out enfield .316. Then you have .031 to fill which is .0155.

Other then larger calibers or fat .30's Some people have been having problems getting the .010 .30 cal stuff to stick on a .309" size. It's been a bit of a headache for me and I've decided to compensate all of them with some free new ones in a thicker material. So if I introduce 3 thicknesses of metal and a sample pack containing all thicknesses, then people should have a cheap ( and pain free ) way to find which sticks on and shoots best.

Rickk
08-21-2010, 12:47 PM
My 30 cal checks look very nice but fall off of both all of my GC boolits (two Lee and one Ranch Dog/lee) designs. I assume because they are not thick enough to fill the space once run through the sizer.
Seems I have heard of using super glue to hold them on? But if the accuracy goes south why bother?
I am wondering if they would fit on non-GC designs, perhaps by flaring them a bit?

Colt .45
09-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Alright small status update here for everyone.

After a long wait I now have Amerimax .014" and .0167" alum flashing. In the down time I've also acquired a .454&.458 fx3 from charly. I had a few people with sizing problems with the .010" GC's so I am making some replacements and shipping them out now. Sales will be back up this weekend or next.

Thankyou for your patience!

Ben
09-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Rickk

How thick is your metal. I've had no luck with my 30 - 06 until I went to .014 , then everything came together ! !

Ben

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/PICT0004-18.jpg

Colt .45
09-11-2010, 06:06 PM
yepp the accuracy improvement was one reason why I've been trying to get thicker materials, the falling off part was the second. Rickk is on my list for some extra GC's, either .014" or .017".

Colt .45
09-13-2010, 12:08 AM
Ok well sales arent coming back this weekend, Should very likely be done re imbursement by next weekend and ready to start up sales then. Primary sales list incl thicknesses available

.22 ( Unavailable Jams 100% of the time)
.30 ( .010 or .014) ~18.50 /K
.44 ( .010 or .014 or .017) ~23.50/K
.454( .010 or .014 or .017) ~25/K
.458( .010 or .014 or .017) ~25/K

Prices subject to change, The newer metal costs a fair bit more then the .010.

trevj
09-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Another Canadian member PM'ed me about this post and was upset that I spilled the beans on the current US exporting issues, but it is only fair that people have a heads up and get a chance to look into the legalities of their actions a little more. People are free to do as they wish. I didn't write the law nor do I enforce or agree with it, however I don't want to see anyone fined or charged because they didn't know any better.

Man. ----------------------------------------------------------
Don't have to like the laws, but I'll be damned if I'd try to set up anyone I wanted to buy something from, for a fine, trying to get around the laws.

AFAIK, though, stuff like gas checks is not affected by the US State Dept. rules, nor are jackets for swaging, as they are neither ammunition or ammunition components.

Yeah. In general, the Canadian Border Services Agency, aka. Customs, is concerned about what you bring IN to Canada. The US State Dept., the Homeland Security lot, and the Dept of Commerce, have a dim view about certain things leaving the US, no matter where they are going. Those are the folk that are worth paying REAL close attention to.

On the bright side, Tools, antiques (including antique firearms, our side rules are a bit different but similar) and a lot of other stuff IS allowed through, without any problems. Just the stuff that is controlled, like firearms parts, military grade hardware, ammo, cases and bullets themselves, scopes.... PITA, too, as most of this stuff is readily available through retailers here, and is imported as a matter of course. Some of them charge like the paper cost them pretty dear to process, too. :roll:

PITA. Just another reminder that the terrorists won, since they made us all change what we do and how we do it.

Anyhoo... Well worth paying attention to the export regs. There are a lot of things that I can walk in to a store and walk out with, that I can bring IN to Canada, but I am not allowed to take or send OUT of the US. Canadian Customs is in the business of enforcing Canadian laws.
Strange mess!

Cheers
Trev