PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1894 hang-ups

smkummer
07-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Guys I have owned this gun since about 1977. Its of course a pre-safety 1894 Marlin in 44 mag. I have never had any problems with it and have not loaded 10 rounds in it for about 20 years. Only 4 or 5 for deer hunting. I went to fire my first cowboy match and it hung up. That is when the lever was moved towards full open it stopped and would not move either way. I first noticed this when I loaded some 44 specials with a cowboy 200 FP bullet. So I loaded some 44 mag. with the same bullet and it check out at home but when I got to the range it hung up. I completely disassembled the gun and cleaned/oil the thing and the longest bullets I have are a 44 special with a long round nose 250 grain bullet and these feed. So then I tried the 44 mags. with the 200 FP and they feed. So then I tried the combo that I want to use and that was the 44 special with the 200 FP bullet and sure as heck it hung up. So then I went back the 44 mags. with the 200 FP and it hung up again! When I say hung up it gets towards the end of the stroke and it binds. thanks ahead of time for any advice you may have. I often works with only 3 or 4 in the tube but I need 10 for cowboy action. I did borrow it out last fall to a friend who had his son shoot his first deer with it.

longbow
07-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Apparently Marlin 1894s have a couple of timing problems. I ran into this recently myself. After much use some develop wear under the carrier that results in timing issues and there is another problem known as "letting two through" where an extra round starts to feed and jams the lever.

The Marlin Owner's forum has lots of good info:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/

and:

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/marlin94fix.html

Maybe that will help.

Longbow

smkummer
07-05-2010, 08:25 PM
As you were typing I found the same article. Now I have to decide if I want to send it to Marlin or try it myself. Is Marlin still in CT.?

crabo
07-05-2010, 08:39 PM
As you were typing I found the same article. Now I have to decide if I want to send it to Marlin or try it myself. Is Marlin still in CT.?

I asked marlin about sending a gun in and they told mw it would be about 30-45 days before they would even look at it.

longbow
07-05-2010, 11:26 PM
The work is not hard to do yourself... if you are at all handy that is.

Really, it only takes a decent set of screw drivers to disassemble the gun and I have found that I can get the carrier out without complete disassembly.

Having said that and posting the links, I should say that Marlins have another problem that is commonly commented on ~ the screws ALL come loose. You might just check them and tighten any that are loose if you find any before going to more drastic lengths. That may fix your problem.

Mine was rattly loose even after I tightened all the screws. It really takes blue (not red) Loctite or equivalent to keep the gun tight.

Longbow

Thin Man
07-06-2010, 04:10 PM
I have the same Marlin 44 as you, and ran into a loading tie-up with j-word bullets about 20 years back. Of course this happened just when I was ready to walk into the woods for a deer hunt. Called the factory and learned they were having issues with the lifter and could sell me a new design lifter to make the problem go away. Since it was quicker to buy the lifter and install it myself, that is what I did and have not had another problem with feeding since that time. You might call Marlin to confirm if your rifle has the old or improved lifter. They should be able to tell you the right answer based on your rifle's serial number.

Beyond a lifter question, your first post sounds like your rifle simply does not like the profile of the 200 FP boolit. Perhaps a change in overall loaded length with that boolit, or a different mold design in a similar weight, may correct the loading problem. Good Luck.

Thin Man

Newtire
07-07-2010, 08:19 AM
I had this happen to my .444 when I first got it and it turned out to be the screw that holds the loading gate in position. Sure enough, there was mention in the little owner's guide that you should always loctite this screw.

Second jam occured when somehow, one of the receiver sight plug screws migrated in and locked up the bolt.

Folks make such a big deal out of the loctite thing and how are you ever going to get the screw loose again. All you have to do is heat the screw with a small torch for 3-seconds and it melts the loctite-turns it into snot-no troubles.

Mumblypeg
07-07-2010, 09:25 AM
I have a pre-cross bolt safety one in .44mag. In Jan. I sent it toMarlin to have the barrel changed from a round micro groove to a octogon cowboy ballard. It took 90 days almost to the day, which is what they told me. Before I sent it, it had never jammed. The bore had three tight places in it that I couldn't even lap out and that was one of the reasons I wanted the change and hoping the ballard rifling would shoot the cast better. A gas checked Keith 245gr. shot fairly well in the MG barrel but I was looking for something better. Before I sent it in I was told maybe around $100 barrel plus labor. As it turned out it cost me right at $400 with shipping. It has jammed twice on me and doesn't shoot as well so far as it did before the change(It looks cool though.) So my point is... It may not be any better after a change. You just never know.

smkummer
07-12-2010, 09:05 PM
The carrier is now a FFL restricted item ($45 plus $12 shipping?!). They would only sell to an FFL if he is on their list, if not he has to register. Why do these companies need to make it more harder on us lawful gun owners? The person who awnsered the phone said the part would most likely drop-in for a new gun but would need fitting on a older gun such as mine. So I will first try the fix with rounding the snail cam, smoothing the notch on the carrier and then heating and bending the carrier at the front about .05". I guess my original carrier will not need to be fitted. If I screw it up then I'll have my FFL order me a new carrier. I guess all guns have some weakness and for some reason I liked the Marlin 1894 over the Win 94-44 mag. or Win 92 in 44 magnum.

John Taylor
07-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Some of these problem can be caused by ware on the cam or carrier. I have changed the timing on a few 94s when going to a shorter cartridge by welding the bottom of the carrier where the cam hit. If the cam starts lifting to early the bullet will hit the frame, to late and you end up trying to run two at a time. The idea is to start lifting the bullet as it clears the mag tube and allow the carrier to stop the next cartridge. As the lever is pulled back it will lift the carrier the rest of the way. The cam only lifts the carrier enough to stop the next cartridge. This system works much better than the old 1881 Marlin.

Newtire
07-12-2010, 10:50 PM
I just got a pair of the '94's in .32-20 and one wouldn't extract at all. This was the brand new one to boot. I looked at the chamber of both where the extractor rides over to grab the rim of the case and stoned the offender to look just like the other one and it started working right away.

It still only works with Starline brass. The Starline has a little bevel on the back side is the only difference I could tell and measure.

The extractor spring is pretty weak and the ejector barely pushes the case out.

On the other hand, a 103 year old Model '92 Winchester flings the cases over my head and into the next bench area if I hold it sideways. I'm sure it would knock your tooth out if a case hit you coming out. An old Colt Lightning I have is the same way.

I have an older Marlin from the 80's and one from the '50's that are much more reliable.

I have an angle eject Winchester I bought in 2000 that's a real pile compared to an older one I have that flings the cases right out. The newer one misses extracting the case half the time. I'm going to take a look at the 2 and see if I can modify the one like i modified the Marlin.

They just don't make em like they used to excepting the steel is stronger these days. Hopefully the quality will pick back up again. The new M70's are sure nice looking.