PDA

View Full Version : Comparing apples to apples

kbstenberg
07-04-2010, 10:07 PM
I always get in trouble when i start thinking, but i have been thinking today.
If I have done my home work an am getting the results out of a bullet that i want. It expands an penetrates the way i want.
If I go to another bullet of the same style (say a Keith style) but a different weight would i get generally the same outcome while still using all of the same ingredients. All the variables being the same. ie alloy, velocity, gun, cases
Kevin

cajun shooter
07-04-2010, 11:39 PM
You answered your question with your question. If it is a different weight then you have changed one of the varibles. Depending on the amount of weight difference will show up on the stat sheet.

Wayne Smith
07-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Terminal ballistics are a function of many factors, among them the initial speed of contact, mass at contact, meplat, and the amount and style of deformaiton of the projectile as it penetrates the target. Changing the mass of the boolit will have an effect on the end result. Enough to notice? Questionable.

fredj338
07-05-2010, 03:54 PM
I always get in trouble when i start thinking, but i have been thinking today.
If I have done my home work an am getting the results out of a bullet that i want. It expands an penetrates the way i want.
If I go to another bullet of the same style (say a Keith style) but a different weight would i get generally the same outcome while still using all of the same ingredients. All the variables being the same. ie alloy, velocity, gun, cases
Kevin
Typ faster or slower & that will change the terminal results. I see it when I test my bullets. As little as 50fps diff in impact vel can dramatically change expansion characteristics.