PDA

View Full Version : 22 conversion for 45 acp?

Shooter6br
07-04-2010, 10:00 AM
I have the bug to buy a 22 RF conversion for my 1911 frame. I like the Arthur Ceiner product . Any thoughts/ Thanks Rick

Tom-ADC
07-04-2010, 10:21 AM
I've had the Colt Ace conversion worked great but right now I'm thinking of buying the Chiappa 1911 in 22LR they run about $270 so in line with a conversion kit.
Just thought I'd throw it out.

Shooter6br
07-04-2010, 11:01 AM
The cost of the conversion is close to a whole pistol .I also have a Mech Tech conversion for my 1911. Much fun!

Trey45
07-04-2010, 11:10 AM
I want one of those conversions, from all the reading I have done it seems it would behove us to buy the Kimber conversion, spend the little extra money for the Kimber instead of the less expensive Ciener and have a better conversion. Also, the Kimber seems to require the plated bullets, I don't know why, just what I've read.

I recently purchased a Kadet conversion for my CZ P01, it runs like a swiss watch. From what I have read the Kimber 22LR conversions for 1911's are on par with the Kadet conversions.
The ONLY downside that I have heard about is the weight difference. The 1911 conversions seem to all be aluminum instead of steel, the 1911 with the 45 slide weighs a lot more than than the conversion slide. I don't know if that makes a difference to you or not, apparently it does to some people. It doesn't make that much of a difference to me.

For about the same money you'd pay for a Kimber conversion, the Chiapa can be bought as an entire gun, not just a slide and magazine. Jeff Quinn did a test and article on the Chiapa's and seems to like them, and like them a lot. Just something for you to consider.

Here's the article.

http://www.gunblast.com/Chiappa1911-22.htm

cheese1566
07-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Research the manufacturers before buying...Not to bad mouth anyone...

I came across an old 22LR conversion for my AR-15. It wasn't a Ceiner, but was a predecessor to their current design. Same looking box, identical mags, parts... It needed a bolt assembly. I could not get a reponse from them for parts or to even talk to someone. After research on numerous forums elsewhere I read varied opinions on the customer service and support. But they have been around for a long time.

I realize you are looking for a 1911 model, but CMMG went above and beyond in helping me out for my AR conversion. After several emails, I mailed the unit to them. They checked it out and test fired a few mags with my unit and their bolt assembly. When it functioned to their standards, they called and said it worked fine. They only charged me for the parts I needed (nothing for ammo or testing!) and even extended a LE discount. All within the same week of mailing it in. This was last summer during the firearm drought! I graciously bought an extra poly mag from them in consideration of their customer service.:wink:

timkelley
07-04-2010, 11:37 AM
I have the Kimber unit and for what ever reason (?) it doesn't like plated bullets (Federal) but does like unplated (Blazer). As to why the manufacturer says 'Plated Bullets Only' I am back to Noclue.

Trey45
07-04-2010, 12:05 PM
+1 for what Cheese said about CMMG. I have one for my Bushmaster M4gery, the conversion runs like a swiss watch. If they made a conversion for the 1911 I'd probably buy one instead of the Kimber.

Doc Highwall
07-04-2010, 12:13 PM
I would look at the Marvel conversion, not cheep but it gets the nod as being the most accurate in every write up that I have read.

HeavyMetal
07-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Several conversion kits have been out there on the market over the years.

The "Ace" was first, of course, but was designed as a training tool not as a target grade attachment.

I have not seen the Kimber Conversion so won't comment on it.

Ciener's are ok but made of Aluminum so need a little care. Accuracy has been good to excellent so I think that part is you get what you get.

What I have been doing, since I also want a 22 conversion for my 45 auto pistols, is haunt the auction sites looking for an old Kart or Day conversion kit.

Both these were desgined to give the shooter a 50 yard X ring 22 conversin for his 45 auto pistol. Day was a 2700 NRA Bullseye shooter and knew the value of having a rimfire target gun that felt just like his 45!

So he made his own conversion kits.

The Kart was a later design and looked much like a S&W model 41 whenmounted. A two piece slide set up allowed the barrel to be "fixed" to the frame and made for some spectacular groups from a 22 rimfire gun.

If your just wanting a plinker pistol the Ciener will get it done. If you want more than that from your pistol go looking for the better conversions.

JSH
07-04-2010, 01:15 PM
The Kart conversion sounds a lot like a Tactical Solutions conversion. I have a Kimber conversion that came witha SS Classic. Actually it is the sons as I traded his DW 10" .22 and off for part of it. FYI, the Kimber conversion will out shoot the DW, 10" barrel and all at 50M. Never shot the Kimber past that but it darn sure couldn't do any worse.
The Tactaical Solutions .22 conversion is all steel and works a lot like a SW41, though the trigger still feels like a 1911.
jeff

Muddy Creek Sam
07-04-2010, 01:56 PM
I have a Kimber conversion for my O1918 Colt WW1 Never had a problem with any ammo I have thrown at it.

Sam :D

corvette8n
07-04-2010, 02:32 PM
I have a no name conversion, came in a blue plastic box I don't even remember if the county of origin is on the thing. I believe I got it from SOG a while back for about $120.00, works ok is fussy about ammo. My only regret is I didn't get extra magazines.
I shoot Super Colbri in my cellar and manually cycle the slide.

John D
07-04-2010, 03:32 PM
The Kart was a later design and looked much like a S&W model 41 whenmounted. A two piece slide set up allowed the barrel to be "fixed" to the frame and made for some spectacular groups from a 22 rimfire gun.

I've been using the Kart Conversion on my Series 70 for bullseye shooting.
Very happy with it....

wellfedirishman
07-04-2010, 04:02 PM
I have 2 Ciener conversions (Government size and Commander size) and both run great. You need to use high velocity ammo (e.g., CCI Blazer, etc.) not Standard Velocity, to cycle the slide.

I would be happy to recommend the Ciener kits. Midway has them in stock and with their regular coupon/codes the price is very reasonable, cheaper than buying direct from Ciener.

HeavyMetal
07-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Did some checking at the Marvel web site.
The 22 conversion, unit 1, is the old Kart design so it is still available.

Whats real intersting is the Unit 2 conversion looks like the old Day set up!

Nice to know both are still available! When the economy turns I will get a unit 1 for my wife's old Commander.

GBertolet
07-04-2010, 04:34 PM
I bought the Marvel tactical 22 conversion kit. It shoots as good as I can hold. Beautifully made and fitted. It comes with a nice fitted, zippered nylon carrying case. Marvel recommends HS ammo only for reliable functioning, as SV ammo may short stroke. As for the Marvel and some other kits, there is no slide lock capability. Unless you count the shots left, a deafening click tells you that you are empty. The slide is aluminum alloy, and the fear was the slide stop would deform the notch in the slide. Why they didn't put a hardened steel insert on the slide there is unknown.

mtgrs737
07-04-2010, 06:02 PM
I have two Cieners for 1911's and they both run fine. A good product that many have copied. I would recomend them, my only gripes is no slide lock back on the last shot, and the mags are too expensive, but they do work good.

oldhickory
07-05-2010, 04:46 PM
I've had several of the Colt conversions and they work fine. A little heavier than the standard .45 slide, but reliable and fairly accurate, (a good plinker). It does not reproduce the recoil of the .45 like it's supposed to though. My current conversion is a Wilson Combat unit, a Ciener knock-off, (probably made by Ciener for them). Accuracy is plinker grade, function and reliability are very good using HV ammo. My only real complaint is the weight, the slide being aluminum it just doesn't feel right for me. I would like to try one of the "match grade" units just for kicks, but have read mixed reviews on reliability and for the price...

I can say that the Colt and Wilson Combat, (Ciener design) are fun and reliable, though accuracy seems no better than minute of pop can at 25yds. They're the only ones I have personal exeriance with, like many of you, not looking for match grade accuracy, just .22 lr fun.

John 242
07-05-2010, 06:38 PM
I have an old Kimber (Ciener with Kimber logo,etc) conversion and although it runs fine with Hyper velocity ammo, but it will not function with High velocity ammo. The Wal-Mart bulk stuff wont run whether Remington or Winchester brands. CCI Stingers run like champs. I used to buy Remington Viper Hyper velocity and it would run without fail. Since I'm casting my own bullets I can shoot .45 ACP cheeper than I can buy the Hyper velocity .22s. Ammo shortages have kept the .22 Hyper velocity stuff off the shelves here locally, so I haven't used the kit for almost a year.
Overall, I'm glad I bought the kit because it allows me to practice with my 1911, but in the future I will buy a complete .22 pistol to practice with. I could really use a pistol that feeds the cheap bulk .22s. YMMV.
John

fecmech
07-05-2010, 08:04 PM
I have a Ceiner and have no problems with it running both std and HV rounds. I run a 18 lb. hammer spring in my Mil spec and I suspect that's the reason it runs well with both low and high velocity ammo. Keep in mind part of the recoil is used to cock the hammer so if you are running a stock hammer spring ( I think that's 22-23 lbs) you need more kick from your ammo.

lawboy
07-09-2010, 12:14 AM
I have two of the marvel unit 1 conversions. They are as accurate as any target pistol, period.
However, if you can get an original Kart conversion that is in top shape, buy it over all others.

John 242
07-09-2010, 10:49 PM
I have a Ceiner and have no problems with it running both std and HV rounds. I run a 18 lb. hammer spring in my Mil spec and I suspect that's the reason it runs well with both low and high velocity ammo. Keep in mind part of the recoil is used to cock the hammer so if you are running a stock hammer spring ( I think that's 22-23 lbs) you need more kick from your ammo.

Fecemech, I've thought about messing with the recoil spring by cutting coils but didn't think that overall it was a good idea. I never thought about the hammer spring. I think I'm going to order me a reduced weight spring and use it with my conversion kit.
Might be a solution to my reliability problems.

John 242
07-09-2010, 10:51 PM
I have two of the marvel unit 1 conversions. They are as accurate as any target pistol, period.
However, if you can get an original Kart conversion that is in top shape, buy it over all others.

I've heard that the Marvel kits are the "bees knees" when it comes to accurate shooting conversions. I wish I had known that before. Another lesson learned.

lawboy
07-10-2010, 03:54 PM
I've heard that the Marvel kits are the "bees knees" when it comes to accurate shooting conversions. I wish I had known that before. Another lesson learned.

They are extremely accurate. However, I have seen and fired an original Kart unit and the build quality of this all steel unit is unmatched by anything being made today. They are in another class. Simply beautiful and as accurate as a Marvel any day of the week.

GBertolet
07-11-2010, 01:31 PM
One thing I noticed with my Marvel kit, which probably applies to others also, with the aluminum slide. The weight and balance is not there, for serious bullseye shooting. Does not hold like a High Standard or 41 S&W. Accurate enough, but the aluminum slide makes the gun too muzzle light. At least for me it does. They are still great for plinking though!

82nd airborne
07-11-2010, 04:26 PM
I have shot a buddy's kimber 22 conversion extensively, and it wont go thru a mag without jamming with any ammo tried so far. even with the gun properly cleaned and lubed. Hopefully its a one off problem.

GeneT
07-11-2010, 05:33 PM
I had a Ceiner conversion. Initially it wouldn't feed very reliably. A fella at the club recommended CCI (which of course defeat some of the cost-saving goal of the whole enterprise) and those ran great. After a total of about 1000 rounds break-in through it, it started working reliably with anything. The magazines are too fragile to drop is my only other complaint.

They cost a bit more, but if (probably when) I do it again I'm going to get a Marvel - I was very impressed with the one I shot.

GsT

TonyT
07-18-2010, 03:53 PM
I own or have owned and shot several of the 22 conversion units for the 1911. My commenmts are as follows:
Original Colt - all steel, plinker in terms of accuarcy and the floating chamber which fouls up quite easilly is a pain to clean.
Ciener - aluminum slide, reliable with both SV and HV ammo, same accuarcy evel as the original Colt, slide does not lock back after firing last round, customer service is non-existent (mine was originally shipped with a smoothbore barrel). The original kimber unit was made by Ciener.
Mavel - I shoot the Unit #1, bullseye level accuracy with SV ammo, requires an extra strength recoil spring for use with HV ammo, totally reliable, alumnum slide does not lock back after firing the last round.
Jarvis - no longer manufacturted, all steel, designed for HV ammo and functins vest with either remington Golden or CCI MiniMag, slide stays open after firing last round, accuarcy better than original colt but not as good as the Marvel1.
Tactical Solutions - an i,proved version of the Jarvis unit, all steel, functions reliably with some brands of SV ammo, as well as Federal bulk pack, accuarcy same as Jarvis unit.
If you want trigger time with yourfavotie 1911 then the 22 conversion unit is a good idea. However, if you want a relatively inexpensive, reliable and accuarte 22 then purchase either a Browning Buckmark or Ruger. For a bit more you can purchase a S&W Model 41 with a great factory trigger.

smkummer
07-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Love mine. I can shoot as much as I like and its very reliable. Of course I clean the floating chamber every time when I get home. I lucked out 8 years ago and have $200 in mine. If you get really lucky, you can find one for $350 but its getting harder and harder these says. It has a unique recoil feel but it is a welcome feel.

sagamore-one
07-25-2010, 09:02 PM
You may not know it but Marvel offers a longslide .
I have one and it "hangs" most beautifully !!
I use it in local Bullseye matches.