PDA

View Full Version : Matching top punch to bullet?

Deacon Stone
07-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Can you tell me where to find the info on matching Lee and other bullet molds to the right top punch? I have a Lyman 450 and some Lee molds and want to match the bullets to the right top punch.

Thanks Deacon Stone

Charlie Sometimes
07-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Iknow of no specific source, but have used trial and error to match some of my Lee to RCBS and Lyman TP's.
There are a few people on here than can make the ones you might need if you send them samples of the boolits.
I have found the Lyman 495 TP works well with Lee 358-158-RF and the RCBS 424 TP with the Lee 452-255-RF, C452-300-RF, 457-340-F, & 457-405-F fairly well. I have not found any of the round nosed designs (452-228-1R or similar) to work well with a 374 TP and have had to modify one to work sufficiently to my taste.

What calibers are you looking to match?

Elkins45
07-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Castpix has a chart at http://www.castpics.net/LeeTopPunches.htm

I have had pretty good luck by looking for a Lyman mold that throws a similar bullet and buying the recommended punch for it.

Charlie Sometimes
07-03-2010, 11:07 PM
I didn't know that existed- THANKS!
I checked the charts, as compared to my suggestions above- not even close.
Nothing was recommended for the 457 boolits, and the ones recommended on the charts for the others did not work well for me.
374 is suggested for the 452-228-1R, but was not deep enough to avoid deformation of the nose of the boolit.

John Boy
07-04-2010, 12:02 AM
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=442165&postcount=4

Elkins45
07-04-2010, 12:30 AM
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=442165&postcount=4

Dean Grinnell talked about smearing a good coat of release agent (Lee liquid alox would be GREAT for this) onto a bullet, then mixing up a gob of epoxy putty and inserting it into the clean cavety of a too-big top punch. Slowly lower the punch onto the bullet until the putty forms into the shape of the bullet nose then leave it there until it hardens.

This would be more permanent that the Al foil method, but that also makes it truly specific to one nose design.

Charlie Sometimes
07-04-2010, 09:39 AM
The epoxy method would be more effective. Bullet specific is best, IMHO.

In fact, I've got a couple of others that need this attention- good project for the 4th of July!

Doc Highwall
07-04-2010, 10:15 AM
I have four SAECO sizers and when I use a mould other then SAECO I use a SAECO top punch that comes the closes and use JB weld to match the bullet nose.

Echo
07-04-2010, 12:11 PM
374 is suggested for the 452-228-1R, but was not deep enough to avoid deformation of the nose of the boolit.

So deform the nose, and shoot a Custom boolit! The base of the boolit is what's important - unless the nose gets deformed enough to be ugly. >I< won't shoot ugly boolits, and don't much respect folks that do, and I'm sure you wouldn't shoot them either if they were ugly.;);)

RKJ
07-04-2010, 04:43 PM
I read here to try hot glue. I've got a 45 Lyman SWC top punch that would put a ring around the top of a 200 grn flat nose. While it is temporary it's also cheap, works great and the punch can be used for it's original design.

Charlie Sometimes
07-04-2010, 06:14 PM
So deform the nose, and shoot a Custom boolit! The base of the boolit is what's important - unless the nose gets deformed enough to be ugly. >I< won't shoot ugly boolits, and don't much respect folks that do, and I'm sure you wouldn't shoot them either if they were ugly.;);)

It does ugly them up- flattens the nose some, and ruins the perfect profile. I won't shoot ugly boolits either! :lol:

I can't take them out shootin'- they're so ugly, that just pointing them at the target tears holes as big as your fist! I can't tell where they actually go then. :bigsmyl2: :kidding: Of course, that could be me causing the holes.......:confused:

PacMan
07-06-2010, 07:57 PM
In my Saeco sizer i use the same punch for .358 cal and 44 cal. The punch is designed for flat nose 358 bullet but i filled it with JB Weld making it flat. Works very well for SWC and flat nose bullets in either caliber.Have a seperate punch for .30 caliber bullets.
I also nose size and set my GC at the same time and then reverse to lube.
Dwight

cajun shooter
07-07-2010, 11:01 AM
The hot glue gun works very well and the nice part is that it is not a permanent fix. If you choose to use your punch for the original design then remove the hot glue with flame or knife.